• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How can I shorten Amsteel?

NewSETex

I bought some ansteel aiders, a 3 step and 2 step. They are spaced out just about an inch too long as I have a really hard time getting my foot up on the next step. What's the best way for me to shorten them an inch or 2? I'm assuming there's a cut and splice or cut and tie knot option...

I bought some ansteel aiders, a 3 step and 2 step. They are spaced out just about an inch too long as I have a really hard time getting my foot up on the next step. What's the best way for me to shorten them an inch or 2? I'm assuming there's a cut and splice or cut and tie knot option...

If you get too high tech, then you'll basically be recreating the aiders. If you were going to do that, if it were me, I'd just buy some amsteel and learn the splice pattern to make what you have, but to your size.

Knots aren't great in amsteel (it is so slick that they keep getting tighter and can lessen strength), but I'd be tempted to figure out a way to tie a shortening knot between steps. Also, it doesn't stretch much so the outside strands of the knot take too much of the force (think of locking differential on dry roads and trying to turn sharp).

A good solution might be to stick more amsteel inside the amsteel, then the weave expands and it shortens. You might slide a piece of amsteel the same size or smaller diameter in the sides and see how much length that removes. It would not be load bearing and really couldn't hurt anything. Leave it a bit long and hanging out until you figure it out and if you don't like it then you can pull it right out.

Others might be more helpful if you include the diameter of amsteel and a picture so they can see how it is made.

Back