• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long do you make your strap for the Ameristep platform?

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how long you make your ratchet or OCB strap for use with the Ameristep platform?

Thanks, Roger

Re: How long do you make your strap for the Ameristep platfo

The ratchet strap I have is pretty long - probably 12-16ft. It's definitely too much strap and I always end up with a ton of leftover strap dangling. I will probably cut the strap down before I use it again.

I think most guys have a maximum diameter tree they are comfortable in.. To wide a tree is too cumbersome. Cut down your strap once you've figured out the max diameter of tree you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think my strap is about 6 foot. I know I have tried to use it in a bigger tree and ran out of strap. circumference = 2*pi*radius, so a 2 ft diameter tree would need a strap of 6.28 feet to go around it (but probably at least 7-7.5 feet to rig up and tighten.

Thanks guys I'm going to start with 10 ft and go from there and if it's too long for most applications and sets I'll trim it down if I need to. Thinking about most of the areas and trees I think that I will be fine with the 10 and will probably use less than that most of the time. Thanks again for the input.

Roger

One other question about the platform strap to those guys using the OCB for their strap as opposed to the ratchet did you purchase the strap and OCB premise or did you have to make your own? On the website they sell the OCB and a clip for the end of the strap but I was wondering how you would attach it?

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
One other question about the platform strap to those guys using the OCB for their strap as opposed to the ratchet did you purchase the strap and OCB premise or did you have to make your own? On the website they sell the OCB and a clip for the end of the strap but I was wondering how you would attach it?

Roger

I am using a strap from the ameristep tree steps, so it already has the hook sewn in the end. If you are making your own strap you would need that to hook on to the buckle.

Ok so you just took the compression buckle off and threaded the OCB onto the original Ameristep strap. I was wondering because when I looked at the video and then went to the websites to look at the hardware I was wondering how you'd get the hook onto the webbing. I guess your sewing tool would come in pretty handy for that task! :D So other than the noise do you see any other reason to go to the OCB over the ratchet strap? Thanks

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Ok so you just took the compression buckle off and threaded the OCB onto the original Ameristep strap. I was wondering because when I looked at the video and then went to the websites to look at the hardware I was wondering how you'd get the hook onto the webbing. I guess your sewing tool would come in pretty handy for that task! :D So other than the noise do you see any other reason to go to the OCB over the ratchet strap? Thanks

Roger
Yes, I had to trim the thread to do it, but thats what I did. Yea I could sew on a hook now if i needed to. I've become quiet a seamster... lol. The OCB is purely for silence.

Well now I'm glad that I didn't throw out the old straps after I cut the threads holding the step on! Hey I don't have to tell you the things that are possible if you know how to sew and have the right tools, you can make some awesome stuff for hunting, better than what is offered commercially sometimes! Plus it's exactly the way you want it. I still kick myself for not taking one of those commercial cast iron sewing machines when a friend offered it to me back in the late eighties, but who knew right!? Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Well now I'm glad that I didn't throw out the old straps after I cut the threads holding the step on! Hey I don't have to tell you the things that are possible if you know how to sew and have the right tools, you can make some awesome stuff for hunting, better than what is offered commercially sometimes! Plus it's exactly the way you want it. I still kick myself for not taking one of those commercial cast iron sewing machines when a friend offered it to me back in the late eighties, but who knew right!? Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Roger

No problem!

That sewing machine would have been worth its weight in gold! Not like the plastic one I have!

Red your right it would, the only problem would have been getting the thing out of the basement and up two flights of narrow steps! I could barely slide it to get to some boxes we were trying to get to and there were no jalousie doors so trying to maneuver that thing up those narrow steps would have been a task on it's own if I could lift it.

Roger

I was wondering do you butt the step right up to your ratchet strap or leave some room between the ratchet and the step? The strap I bought has the webbing laid over and stitched for about 4 to 6 inches from the ratchet strap and I have to force the step over it to get it to seat against the ratchet. Here are a couple of pictures I hope this helps you understand what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 240
You probably won't be able to get the ratchet tight with in right next to it, but I try to keep them as close as possible in order to minimize gaps without a step.

Red do you position the ratchet on the back side of the tree or up front? What do you think about the spacing in the photo far enough away from the ratchet strap or should I move it farther out? Thanks again.

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
Red do you position the ratchet on the back side of the tree or up front? What do you think about the spacing in the photo far enough away from the ratchet strap or should I move it farther out? Thanks again.

Roger

Probably need to move it a little further. I try to put it somewhere around the opposite side of the tree at 1 -2 oclock to minimize having a gap in an area I will stand frequently. Just get out on a tree and practice and you will see what I mean :cool:

Back