• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How Much Rope??

Jordan

So I want to take advantage of this deal at Wesspur on the Samson Static Rope, I believe guys on here are saying 11mm and GriGri works great? I just need to know how much I should order - Do I take the highest I'm ever going to be in a tree (30') and then just double that plus a few extra feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you planning on doing? Just rappeling down or climbing with it? If you are just rappeling down you need a little more than your max height, so if you max height is 30' I'd go with 40' so you can tie knots and have some extra. You can always cut some off later but you can never add. With SRT you could use the same rope but with DRT you'd need double.

What are you planning on doing? Just rappeling down or climbing with it? If you are just rappeling down you need a little more than your max height, so if you max height is 30' I'd go with 40' so you can tie knots and have some extra. You can always cut some off later but you can never add. With SRT you could use the same rope but with DRT you'd need double.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure, I'm eyeing up climbing spurs and then thinking an SRT setup to start does that sound good?

Jordan,

Just keep in mind that for SRT, it isn't how high you will climb, but how high your lowest branch is. That's why I can't commit to it. I'm in a lot of tall skinny trees.

Jordan,

Just keep in mind that for SRT, it isn't how high you will climb, but how high your lowest branch is. That's why I can't commit to it. I'm in a lot of tall skinny trees.

Very good point, Thank You.

Go for a hike and start looking at trees and thinking about what gives good cover and how you could get up in it.

If you have been using climbing stands and sticks, you will have programmed your brain to just look for straight easy climbs with no branches.
You will see a lot of trees that the lowest branches are too small to throw a line over.

BUT then look 10-20' higher and there will often be a split/crotch in the tree. That's where SRT is great. You can easily climb past the smaller splits and branches and use them for cover. You'll often end up in the 25'30' range. So it seems to me that 40' of rope would be a safe minimum.

My long Yale Bandit tether is about 32' after knots. I just bought a throw bag and am experimenting. Sometimes that is way MORE than I need. It depends on your trees.

Go for a hike and start looking at trees and thinking about what gives good cover and how you could get up in it.

If you have been using climbing stands and sticks, you will have programmed your brain to just look for straight easy climbs with no branches.
You will see a lot of trees that the lowest branches are too small to throw a line over.

BUT then look 10-20' higher and there will often be a split/crotch in the tree. That's where SRT is great. You can easily climb past the smaller splits and branches and use them for cover. You'll often end up in the 25'30' range. So it seems to me that 40' of rope would be a safe minimum.

My long Yale Bandit tether is about 32' after knots. I just bought a throw bag and am experimenting. Sometimes that is way MORE than I need. It depends on your trees.

So if I spur up, the rope goes over the lowest branch over my head? Descend from there? I was thinking the rope went around the tree trunk?

Around the tree. If you throw a line up, you can still get it around the tree, but you need a branch or crutch to keep the rope up

So if I spur up, the rope goes over the lowest branch over my head? Descend from there? I was thinking the rope went around the tree trunk?

I have a similar setup to @redsquirrel. Basically my rappell line is triple fishermans knotted to a dlink. The dlink is then hook into a micro pulley. The rappell rope slides into the micro pulley and i hook in with my lifeguard belay. Basically my rope is girth hitched around the trunk of the tree. Rappell down and retrieve line via a small rope attached to the pulley and it all comes out smoothly

Around the tree. If you throw a line up, you can still get it around the tree, but you need a branch or crutch to keep the rope up
I'm so confused. So I need a branch?????!

I have a similar setup to @redsquirrel. Basically my rappell line is triple fishermans knotted to a dlink. The dlink is then hook into a micro pulley. The rappell rope slides into the micro pulley and i hook in with my lifeguard belay. Basically my rope is girth hitched around the trunk of the tree. Rappell down and retrieve line via a small rope attached to the pulley and it all comes out smoothly
Or I don't need a branch????????

I'm so confused. So I need a branch?????!
Or I don't need a branch????????

I am doing SRT here. I am basically girth hitching it like you would with your tree strap. So no you don't need a branch.

I am doing SRT here. I am basically girth hitching it like you would with your tree strap. So no you don't need a branch.

Thanks I started another thread can you post pics there?

Thanks I started another thread can you post pics there?

No problem it might be a few days unfortunately. Just got a lot going on today more or less im hunting my presets but i will set it up and snap some shots.

You need a branch or something like a tree step to throw over if you are throwing from the ground. There is a great thread and you need to read all of it if you are interested in using SRT. I don't know how to link it, but I will try to figure it out. All of your questions are covered in it.

Whispers Death

Back