• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunt club

essdub

I'm Considering joining a hunt club so I can have access to more hunting land. I was told about a club whose property is a little less than an hOur from home who is accepting new memberships. It's fairly cheap ($800 / year) and is for a 1900 acre lease, apparently.
Have any of you guys done this? If so, what are some things I should consider? I've never done this and while I like the idea of more property to hunt, I'm just not sure what I might be getting into

Been on three leases which is pretty much the same deal. First one was 3400acres and around 20 guys on it so it was more of a "club" I guess. The last two have just been myself, my dad and our good buddy and it works out GREAT. No drama. It really just depends on the group of guys. If everyone is likeminded and out to have fun it's worth the money. If it's one of those clubs where guys claim spots and don't share trail cam pics and stuff like that I would probably pass on it. That kind of stuff just creates drama and takes the fun out of it. How many guys are on it do you know?

Re: RE: Re: Hunt club

flinginairos said:
Been on three leases which is pretty much the same deal. First one was 3400acres and around 20 guys on it so it was more of a "club" I guess. The last two have just been myself, my dad and our good buddy and it works out GREAT. No drama. It really just depends on the group of guys. If everyone is likeminded and out to have fun it's worth the money. If it's one of those clubs where guys claim spots and don't share trail cam pics and stuff like that I would probably pass on it. That kind of stuff just creates drama and takes the fun out of it. How many guys are on it do you know?
I'm supposed to talk to their guy today. So I don't know yet. I thought that question and several others would be good to ask.
I have a feeling that it's gonna be more of a "gun"hunting club. That might be ok with me as long as I don't HAVE to use their set up stands (which likely would be great for rifles, not bow). Or if I would be allowed to use my climbing methods and such.
Hopefully I'll Find out a lot of info today. And maybe get to go look at it in a week or so

I'll never be in a club again. Drama, drama, drama. Being a bowhunter that doesn't hunt permanent stands in a gun club doesn't mix. There just isn't enough room for me. The more members, the more drama. Always say you didn't see anything and if you kill, say it was the only deer you seen. I see more deer on public land anyway. Clubs are ok to gun hunt.
I once leased a piece of property and formed a club. I tried to keep it as much like public land as possible. Atv on the outsides. Walk in everywhere. No one has spots. Had a few club box stands that were 1st come 1st get. Only drive atv on interior to get a deer out. We had a good group of 6 guys and didn't have any problems except the property sucked for the money, so we didn't renew. Now I lease a lil piece to let the kids have a place and I hunt public.

I have been in three hunt clubs. Two had cabins that slept all members which adds the drama of clean up, taking up space, turning off water, electric, etc... All had a little drama but I figured out the key to making sure you are happy.

There will be the "founding group" or one family that has Dad as Treasurer, one son as president and the other as past president (or some such dominant family)... talk to them - a lot. Find out what type of hunters they are (what do they shoot, how far do they park from a stand, do they respect any 'no scouting in season' rules, etc... Whatever they do, like or prefer, will be what you need to do to be happy there. Even if they say one thing is a rule - if this group doesn't like it then it doesn't get enforced. If there is no written rule but this group thinks things should be a certain - then you should expect to treat it like a rule.

Back