• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting bikes

Bigburner

Wondering if anyone else uses a bike to access public. I've found it to be a great tool for quite a few years now. I'll often use it as a deer cart as well. I'll lay the bike on its side and put the seat inside the body cavity after I field dress the deer and strap its head to the cross bar, stand it back up and start pushing. It's a site to behold but definitely works in a pinch.
I finished putting a new derailleur and chain on my bike this weekend. If it’s something you want to explore I would suggest going low dollar and for a couple bucks and a few repairs you're in business. I had a friend give me this wal-mart special and I painted it and put on the package rack and gun racks on the handle bars for my bow. The full suspension is NICE! She's been going strong for about three years. Plus if it goes missing which you run that risk, it’s not too much of a heartbreak. Maybe $50 put into it. The only quads I use are the ones attached to my legs and it they will get you everywhere, the bike just makes it quicker.

Man that thing is tricked out!

I have used a bike to get to some spots in the past. It worked better for me when I was hunting down on flat lands. Once I started hunting in the mountains (for jersey anyways) I find I prefer to just hike because I have too much trouble going uphill on the bike.

On a side note I used to ride my bike with my bow strapped to my back to go hunting everyday after school during high school before I could drive. :lol:

I haven't used the bike in a couple of years, but it's definitely a great means of transportation to get away from the crowds on public land. Around here, I always brought a cable lock to prevent someone from stealing my ride home. I also added a handlebar bow holder on it after the pictures, but like I said, haven't needed to use it in a couple years. Now I'm thinking about spots where it worked so nice!

By the way, the cable lock came in handy once. Someone couldn't steal the bike, but they stole my custom padded seat. BUGGERS! After that I tried to chain it up where I could see it too.

And yes I kept the reflectors on because a few spots required me to ride on busy streets to access the trail in. I didn't want to become roadkill. :shock:

My bike is just black and I strap everything on myself. I'm gonna have to work on a tricked out bike for next year to keep up with you guys!

Back