• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Height

Waymore

When people talk about how high up they are I assume everyone is measuring from the bottom of their foot down. This is the standard measure correct? I think some people based on what they are using might be measuring differently.

When I climb and my bow rope gets tight, I know it's X ft to my waist. That was back when it mattered to me and I used a 30ft rope. I don't know how high I am now days, but I'm as high as I need to be or can get given the equipment I'm using.

You can get away with more movement if you get your platform hieght above 28 to 30 feet. This seems to get above the deer peripheral vision in my experience. I hunt cagey public land deer and they do not tolerate movement very well. Ive learned that I have much better success. Since I took the advice of going up that extra 5 to 10 feet from a wise old hunter. Its amazing how much movement you can get away with. You will also be surprised at how much it opens up shooting radius and lanes at that hieght. It frees you up to move around and the deer arent giving you that hated stare down thing they do! Down side which is a big one is steep shot angles which shrink the kill zone considerably. Shot placement is crucial and double lung shots are just about non existant at 20 yds and less so you gotta hit the pumper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hunting height depend on the Stand location some spot require you to be low in the tree canopy others require you to be high up. Also look in front of you and in back, it's all about the concealment. I have a spot that I am no more than 10' off the ground at the top of my head, and it works because of my concealment and wind direction. Other spots require that I am 25+ up a tree. I spend tons of time with either milk weed pods or a wind checker before season and while on stand to see what the air currently are actually doing not just what the weather app on my phone tell me. I have left a stand because of the wind. The absolute best thing is have cover in front and back of you and try and play the wind with each set up. Jim Thome always tells Terry Drury slow the game down don't rush things. If you can harvest a deer from the ground you can harvest a deer from the air. Simply be ready for the unexpected travel patterns of the animal.

When I talk about hunting height, I'm talking about where my platform is. If I'm hunting at 20', that means my eyes are at 25'7".

Why does it matter? The only reason I ever range the ground is for shot calulation which I measure by holding the range finder at my feet. God I can't wait until I can afford a angle compensating range finder.

Why does it matter? The only reason I ever range the ground is for shot calulation which I measure by holding the range finder at my feet. God I can't wait until I can afford a angle compensating range finder.

One is on my wish list as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One is on my wish list as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Leupold RX-2 with drop compensation. I never carry it. Instead I have one that was sent to me as a test. Probably retailed for $50. but it only does one thing - tell me the distance. That means I don't have spend 10 minutes programming it every time I want a range... which is what would happen with the Leupold. If one of you is interested, I'd make a good deal on it.

Rain, <150> yards selection, with or without drop compensation and I forget what other options it has. Seemed like every time I picked it up it was in the exact opposite setting of what I wanted. So I simplified.

Back