• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting scenario question??

Cajunshooter

OKay it is killing me! Temperatures have just dropped here in East Texas. I went out to hunt yesterday evening and the wind was absolutely zero. This morning it is 56° and the wind is absolutely zero. I feel like I should be out hunting but I know any place I try to set into tight I’m going to be busted because my scent will be hitting the ground. By the way I practice all the scent regimen, even scent lok but I don’t trust it that much.

I got busted by a doe yesterday that I couldn’t even see and I know it’s because she winded me.

I am in extremely thick cover, I have quite a few bedding areas scouted but I’m afraid to try to approach them with no wind at all.
Should I just abandon hunting in this case or risk blowing my known bedding areas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not following, with the rainy conditions should make it easier to approach bedding? Not sure how you feel you will get busted I often hunt in light rain and I don't find it any harder to pull off a hunt. What exactly is the concern - sorry I may have missed it but I am not following .

Not following, with the rainy conditions should make it easier to approach bedding? Not sure how you feel you will get busted I often hunt in light rain and I don't find it any harder to pull off a hunt. What exactly is the concern - sorry I may have missed it but I am not following .

No, there’s no rain at all. It’s bright, clear and cool. My problem is approaching close to a bedding area without a wind to blow my scent away from their direction. When I drop a milkweed it is literally going straight down the tree. Does that make sense?

Bedding areas are nice to hunt, but a cool day in the southeast will have deer up on their feet more than usual. If I was super worried about scent, I'd set up at a pinch point between food and bedding. Deer on the move are more vulnerable.

Bedding areas are nice to hunt, but a cool day in the southeast will have deer up on their feet more than usual. If I was super worried about scent, I'd set up at a pinch point between food and bedding. Deer on the move are more vulnerable.

That’s exactly what I did yesterday because I was worried about going into the bedding areas. That’s when I got busted from behind when I couldn’t ever see her/him. The brush was too thick for me to see anything through it but I still got busted. This fool must have blown and stomped a hundred times.

Find an elevation change, water, or a field/change in cover. Thermals will flow near those. You maybe able to pull it off if thermals take your scent away from them

No, there’s no rain at all. It’s bright, clear and cool. My problem is approaching close to a bedding area without a wind to blow my scent away from their direction. When I drop a milkweed it is literally going straight down the tree. Does that make sense?

Yep - I hunt those conditions all the time. You scent is not going to crawl away from tree. It should not spread anymore then 10 yards or so. But even in the stillest of mornings, there is usually some thermal current. Drop some milkweed at GROUND level and see if there is any. I cannot ever remember hunting any day where there was no movement at ground level - even when it was one of those dead calm crisp mornings - there is usually some thermal movement. What does happen often in those mornings is that there is also swirling - even if it is ever so slight, and that can get you busted for sure.

if you cannot get into the bedding, then back off and cover an approach to the bedding - you might get lucky..... but it sure beats giving up hunting for the day.

Yep - I hunt those conditions all the time. You scent is not going to crawl away from tree. It should not spread anymore then 10 yards or so. But even in the stillest of mornings, there is usually some thermal current. Drop some milkweed at GROUND level and see if there is any. I cannot ever remember hunting any day where there was no movement at ground level - even when it was one of those dead calm crisp mornings - there is usually some thermal movement. What does happen often in those mornings is that there is also swirling - even if it is ever so slight, and that can get you busted for sure.

if you cannot get into the bedding, then back off and cover an approach to the bedding - you might get lucky..... but it sure beats giving up hunting for the day.

I didn’t drop the milkweed from the ground but I did from my tree and it hit the ground within spitting distance.

I probably should have explained why I am concerned. I hunt my own private lease. It’s 250 acres and I just don’t want to burn up all my spots. So I’m trying to figure out the best approach. Unfortunately it seems like the majority of the days I get to hunt, there’s no wind.

Ok that makes sense - go hunt some public and wait for the ideal conditions on small private - that is what I would do.

BTW - 250 acres can be burned easily buy overhunting it. I would not throw more then 3 sits on it per year or you will indeed educate mature bucks. They may not leave but they might go nocturnal. What many fail to understand is that you can totally screw up a rut hunt in early season by educating the DOE population, which then makes them more nocturnal and thus when the rut comes the bucks are moving when the does are - AT NIGHT

BTW - 250 acres can be burned easily buy overhunting it. I would not throw more then 3 sits on it per year or you will indeed educate mature bucks. They may not leave but they might go nocturnal. What many fail to understand is that you can totally screw up a rut hunt in early season by educating the DOE population, which then makes them more nocturnal and thus when the rut comes the bucks are moving when the does are - AT NIGHT

Same conditions in south LA this morning. So I left all my known spots alone and went to a creek crossing. I set up right on the bank and am hoping for the best.

I plan on spending the weekend bouncing around in my new boat. Or maybe running the edge of a big marsh. Nice thing about pigs is they stalk easy. On days with fickle winds (most) staying mobile is oftentimes a good move.

Back