• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I have an idea...............

Peterk1234

I really like using a WE Step as a platform. It has bends and angles, perfect for getting your feet into any position. This may have been done already, so if it has I apologize for the repetitive thoughts. Would one of you talented metal fabricators on here be willing to make a Big WE Step? I would say, double in size and maybe make it flair out more than the current design. I bet that thing would be good enough to get around pretty much any tree without issue. Plus it would be super solid because it would be a much larger cam.

I think it would weigh two pounds or less, and you could easily strap it to the outside of a backpack when hiking into the woods. Pete

Sounds good , I use a small one with a piece of plywood,works fine .

I bought a tubing bender and material with the intention of doing this two years ago. I liked using the stepps the way they are so much it was never worth the effort to complete.

There's an off chance I get some time here in the next year or two to try it out.

Also, I suspect that Drew has messed around with this at WE, and if we haven't seen it, it likely wasn't a winner in his eyes.

Maybe the larger size with side pressure had too much leverage for the anchor Stepp and caused a failure of some sort.

Jim Stepp had this idea I believe in his original patents--I feel like I saw it at some point. He may have welded a platform onthe top because it was for use as a treestand.

ITs definitely a cool idea.

It would need to be larger tubing or have extra supports welded in. People are already bending them occasionally with the little bit of leverage they can get. It’s pretty easy to work around though and is simple to build. It’s definitely possible and worth a try if you think it’s something you would want.

This has been done. Someone built a bigger one. Another gripe historically about the WE stuff was some people wanted a 4th contact point for more stability. Then some Maniac on here built that too. That's when this forum is the best!

I seem to remember in the end neither the bigger WE step, nor the 4th contact point was a big improvement. But that was a few years ago I think. Build away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I built this years ago but it ended up being too hard to set correctly the first time and ultimately didn't pack down enough
fd527ddd4b9ecd345b11516f9e0a201e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back