• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I should of let him win and shoot the dirt

colin.704

25ft up and monster at under 10 ft. been holding full draw and was at my limit. now I got a beautiful animal running around with his guts hanging out that might be dead tomorrow with about a 25% chance of being found. guys don't hunt with a butthole, especially when you're by yourself.

Last edited:
25ft up and monster at under 10 ft. been holding full draw and was at my limit. now I got a beautiful animal running around with his guts hanging out that might be dead tomorrow with about a 25% chance of being found. guys don't hunt with an *******, especially when you're by yourself.
Dont hunt with a what?
If I were you I would get a tracking dog out there.

Sorry to hear about this. I agree with @WISCO, call for someone with a deer search dog.

I got a dog. we'll go tomorrow and search the creek. he's not bleeding, it's a narrow property with a creek going the length of it. if he's dead by then he'll be in it I hope

I got a dog. we'll go tomorrow and search the creek. he's not bleeding, it's a narrow property with a creek going the length of it. if he's dead by then he'll be in it I hope
The tracker i use says his dog can wind a gut shot deer and doesn't need a track. A lot of tracking dogs track the scent gland in the foot not the actual blood. so you are more than likely fine if you didn't bump him.

I grow increasingly frustrated by the “make the shot happen” vibe that permeates bowhunting… not calling you out here, we all make mistakes. But the injury / retrieval rate in archery is flippin atrocious IMO and a great deal of that is shot selection and execution. We HAVE to be ready to set our limits, and abort when appropriate. Good luck, you might just find him.

I grow increasingly frustrated by the “make the shot happen” vibe that permeates bowhunting… not calling you out here, we all make mistakes. But the injury / retrieval rate in archery is flippin atrocious IMO and a great deal of that is shot selection and execution. We HAVE to be ready to set our limits, and abort when appropriate. Good luck, you might just find him.

How many deer have you Shot at?

How many deer have you Shot at?
25-30 over 25 years so around one a year-ish. Success density was higher before I got pickier.

3 not recovered. (Edit) + 1 clean miss.

I’m not saying we can eliminate the suffering, but it sure as heck could be reduced. (But most likely it won’t be.)

25-30 over 25 years so around one a year-ish. Success density was higher before I got pickier.

3 not recovered. (Edit) + 1 clean miss.

I’m not saying we can eliminate the suffering, but it sure as heck could be reduced. (But most likely it won’t be.)

Man, I shoot alot. And I really don't get worked up too much any more during shooting. And I typically won't shoot at a deer past 30 yards with a compound. I have just about every advantage going my way when it comes to closing the deal. I'm calm, and I try to take good shots only.

I've missed, both completely, and resulting in wounding or slow deaths. A bunch. I really can't do much more than I do, short of hanging up the bow and shooting them with a gun.

I would be willing to bet that if you had been over my shoulder the last 25 years, you wouldn't say I'm being reckless or unethical. Maybe a shot or two in my teenage days.

Stuff happens. It's time we dispense with the notion that when executed properly, we should be hitting where we aim 90+% of the time. Most people can't hit a still target with no pressure at that rate.

If you want to see shot to recovery rates above 60-70%, may as well ban bowhunting.

Man, I shoot alot. And I really don't get worked up too much any more during shooting. And I typically won't shoot at a deer past 30 yards with a compound. I have just about every advantage going my way when it comes to closing the deal. I'm calm, and I try to take good shots only.

I've missed, both completely, and resulting in wounding or slow deaths. A bunch. I really can't do much more than I do, short of hanging up the bow and shooting them with a gun.

I would be willing to bet that if you had been over my shoulder the last 25 years, you wouldn't say I'm being reckless or unethical. Maybe a shot or two in my teenage days.

Stuff happens. It's time we dispense with the notion that when executed properly, we should be hitting where we aim 90+% of the time. Most people can't hit a still target with no pressure at that rate.

If you want to see shot to recovery rates above 60-70%, may as well ban bowhunting.
You’re supporting the argument that “40-60 yards is a doable ethical shot” has got to promote even worse outcomes for others. Or quarter toward, or running deer with a gun, etc. I agree, you can be dialed and conservative and still wound deer, and many / most people are neither, and it’s a problem. I’m not proposing this as a solution but it would be one: no compound, no trad, crossbow only, shots past 25 yards are illegal. I’m not debating our god given right to launch arrows at 45 yards, just debating cause and effects (suffering).

And… should a slaughterhouse with our stats be legal, certified, ready for business? These things are tricky.

If he’s gut shot in his intestines are hanging out, he will be dead by tomorrow.
No matter how rutted he is if he’s hit where you think you hit him, he should be dead nearby, just give him time.

You’re supporting the argument that “40-60 yards is a doable ethical shot” has got to promote even worse outcomes for others. Or quarter toward, or running deer with a gun, etc. I agree, you can be dialed and conservative and still wound deer, and many / most people are neither, and it’s a problem. I’m not proposing this as a solution but it would be one: no compound, no trad, crossbow only, shots past 25 yards are illegal. I’m not debating our god given right to launch arrows at 45 yards, just debating cause and effects (suffering).

And… should a slaughterhouse with our stats be legal, certified, ready for business? These things are tricky.

I don't support any argument.

I don't bring an ethical or moral claim to the table.

I'm simply telling you that you can place all the reasonable engineering controls you'd like on an incredibly dynamic set of circumstances. And you will continue to get wildly varying outcomes. If you decide that's not good enough, and go overboard with the engineering controls, you'll eliminate the noise for sure. You'll also eliminate any reason for going hunting in the first place, it will become devoid of all meaning.

I used to wonder how people missed and were such terrible shots. Then I sent arrows at animals 100+ times. Again, with pretty much everything in my favor for connecting on those shots. I don't wonder those things anymore, and I certainly don't get on my high horse about their choices.

I might try to ask them some questions, and help them see their situations from a different perspective. Maybe once in a while poke fun at their shooting.

But shooting critters with bows will be always be a less than perfect venture. Way less.

The only recovery of a deer with guts hanging out that I’ve observed was very short. Maybe 40yds from first blood. The deer was shot quartering away and the arrow struck the heart. Stomach and intestines were completely intact, but the hide was sliced and cavity opened. Hunter described the deer running off with guts hanging out, and that’s what we found in short order once we took up the track after a long wait. Kinda crazy.

I’ve never known another gut hit to cause disembowelment.

So, maybe it’s a more lethal hit than anticipated?

There’s the Pyloric artery in there too, which is a big one. And no matter what, guts hanging out must be hard on a deer.

All you can do is your level best to recover the deer and it sounds like you're on that path. Good luck.

Something I've learned about myself is when I over-focus on shots, I tend to push shots left as my face creeps into the sight. Maybe there is some take away about how a long hold effects your shooting, a possible trend to be aware of.

Call a legitimate tracking dog, not just fido that has drug some deer legs up to the house before. There are some very experienced dogs and handlers across the country that charge little to nothing for their services.

If it's back far enough to be intestines there's no guarantee he's dead at 24 hrs, especially this time of year.

I'm just wondering how a hunter 25' up shooting almost straight down ended up with a guts-hanging-out wound...

1668035805130.png

The only recovery of a deer with guts hanging out that I’ve observed was very short. Maybe 40yds from first blood. The deer was shot quartering away and the arrow struck the heart. Stomach and intestines were completely intact, but the hide was sliced and cavity opened. Hunter described the deer running off with guts hanging out, and that’s what we found in short order once we took up the track after a long wait. Kinda crazy.

I’ve never known another gut hit to cause disembowelment.

So, maybe it’s a more lethal hit than anticipated?

There’s the Pyloric artery in there too, which is a big one. And no matter what, guts hanging out must be hard on a deer.

All you can do is your level best to recover the deer and it sounds like you're on that path. Good luck.

Something I've learned about myself is when I over-focus on shots, I tend to push shots left as my face creeps into the sight. Maybe there is some take away about how a long hold effects your shooting, a possible trend to be aware of.

I’ve seen two with their insides on their outsides, and both were recovered within 200 yards.

Tough to believe this critter will be far from the shot site.

If he hasn't been bumped by you or coyotes he won't go far, every time something tubs his side will be excruciating. He'll hold up and wait unless a hot doe comes trotting by, that may make him move....

Can you take your weapon along tomorrow while tracking? I believe here in Missouri we are not allowed a weapon if tracking with a dog

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I second that. I have probably killed over 200 animals ( hogs and exotics included) with a bow , but I still get the feva. I have been trying to get my son on a deer with his bow I know without a doubt that no matter how much he practices shooting at a target it doesn’t prepare him for the feva. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with excitement and adrenaline and make poor choices or shots. That is why we love it!! I know my son will wound a few before he actually kills one, but that is part of it. I truly believe in making ethical shots, I have not shot at a deer with my bow over 20 yards in probably 10 years. I still make bad shots. I teach my son to only make ethical shots, but I know it all happens in a flash and a mistake is usually a regrettable afterthought. Just keep your head up.

Job 38:41 Who provideth for the raven his food? when his young ones cry unto God, they wander for lack of meat.

Back