• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

IS it possible to like scouting and trying to get others on deer compared to Hunting? ( Hunting Depression )

Robert loper

SH Member
I've said it on several different threads before and I just had a pretty good chat session with DIY sportsman about this and he gave me some great advice on what I call Hunting Depression What a great guy and very helpful to my thoughts.
I am sure most know him but if not He is very knowledgeable and a proven killer. DIY SPORTSMAN
"I am just burnt out" with that said i have really lost interest in the hunt and am starting to enjoy scouting and just walking the woods looking and trying to piece the puzzle together for certain bucks, I also am or do enjoy meeting new hunters and helping them in their process of learning curve
I'm not sure why I am losing the drive or hunger of the harvest but, its been a problem the last few years.
I am saying this because I know people read and watch my content so I really feel bad and guilty of the lack of real effort and content I've been trying to get out for people .
I will keep doing my thing but probably will be slowing down. I'm not in t to take a buck from anyone or to sell anything to anyone like most of the big boys do.
this is not to stir anything it is a legitimate inquiry on or does anyone ever feel the same way during the season?

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to help others. What you give out can come back to you many fold.
No doubt and your right and know this,
i dont want anything but success or enjoyment from anyone.

i get burnt out as well, especially since I'm probably not near as successful as most on here, but im in it for the whole experience. Just being outside in gods country. I enjoy the scouting and finding interesting spots. I also do enjoy others success, especially if i did have a hand in it, and if its the younger generation, even better. What you feel is normal and human, just keep your head up high and do what makes you happy.

When I tell people to scout more than they hunt, this is probably 20% of my message, hidden.

If I just sat in a tree all day all season, I’d be bored of huntjng. I need puzzles to solve.

A cat might eat a dead mouse if they’re hungry. But they’re not gonna play with it too much. Have a live one run across the floor, and hungry or not they’re giving chase. I’m not much different.

Very true and well said. I love hunting with people and letting them have first dibs. After shooting my buck this year I hunted with a buddy and was able to rattle and call one in for him which was awesome! I was shaking as bad as he was. To me this is what hunting is about for me. Sharing the excitement and enthusiasm with others.

My cousin and I are headed out tonight and will sit together. We both have shot our bucks and a doe each so I'll let him have first whack. I am just excited to share a hunt with him tonight. I could care less if we even see a deer just the time spent in the wild with him is good enough.

I love helping others succeed, but my advice is only as good as my track record. Gotta stay in the game a little just to stay "fresh".

Get a tracking dog. I can see myself giving up alot of one type of hunting just so I could be a part of another. I can tell you that the guy I met last year takes a month off to work his dogs. Stories for days.

I've said it on several different threads before and I just had a pretty good chat session with DIY sportsman about this and he gave me some great advice on what I call Hunting Depression What a great guy and very helpful to my thoughts.
I am sure most know him but if not He is very knowledgeable and a proven killer. DIY SPORTSMAN
"I am just burnt out" with that said i have really lost interest in the hunt and am starting to enjoy scouting and just walking the woods looking and trying to piece the puzzle together for certain bucks, I also am or do enjoy meeting new hunters and helping them in their process of learning curve
I'm not sure why I am losing the drive or hunger of the harvest but, its been a problem the last few years.
I am saying this because I know people read and watch my content so I really feel bad and guilty of the lack of real effort and content I've been trying to get out for people .
I will keep doing my thing but probably will be slowing down. I'm not in t to take a buck from anyone or to sell anything to anyone like most of the big boys do.
this is not to stir anything it is a legitimate inquiry on or does anyone ever feel the same way during the season?
See if your state runs any mentorship programs that you can be a part of!

Yes.....i like exsporing and covering ground.hunting is just my reason for hiking all year.however bowhunting for a mature blacktail buck can be a lifetime endevore.one most people never acomplish.i have 15 years invested in this Obsession .excited all year untill season.then start questioning why i am out in the cold looking for a nocturnal ghost.my mom forgot to teach me a lot of things.quiting is one of them.it wears on me burning the candle from both ends

Last edited:
I think hunting can screw with you more than any other hobby someone can do. I too really enjoy scouting because it's slow paced and zero pressure. Just walk around and look for sign and try to bump deer. Its fun as hell. Then when season comes in, the pressure slowly builds. Usually about this exact time (when I should be killing a massive buck cuz everyone else is) I have to hit the reset button and just go back to scouting. I act like im just scouting in the off season again. And it takes the pressure down and I remember oh yeah this is fun. Either way though, hunting isn't a casual hobby for casual people. It takes a special personality to enjoy the grind and stick with it. Great advice from others about helping other people learn the sport and get on deer.

I think hunting can screw with you more than any other hobby someone can do. I too really enjoy scouting because it's slow paced and zero pressure. Just walk around and look for sign and try to bump deer. Its fun as hell. Then when season comes in, the pressure slowly builds. Usually about this exact time (when I should be killing a massive buck cuz everyone else is) I have to hit the reset button and just go back to scouting. I act like im just scouting in the off season again. And it takes the pressure down and I remember oh yeah this is fun. Either way though, hunting isn't a casual hobby for casual people. It takes a special personality to enjoy the grind and stick with it. Great advice from others about helping other people learn the sport and get on deer.
Great stuff snd that’s exactly how and what i feel by november. Especially the last few years.
i did scout i think almost 70 miles in like5-6 days last week. That hurt

This is why i love and stay with this forum.
there are now so many helpful, understanding, and great people on here who just want to help or provide advice no matter who you are.
its why i came back here.
aFter my brief abscence awhile ago I had numerous people pming me asking me to come back and i really glad i did.
theres not many bad apples on this forum compared to the few others i used to be pretty big into.
Thanks guys it means alot to know other hunters care for each other and want to help everyone.

I know i troll and fool around on here alot .but on the seriouse tip.the one person in my family i ever had anything in comon with put a bullet in his mouth. The sucide rate for men is 80 %higher than women.i thought Depression was for Teen age girls.many hunters go missing without a trace.not all but some of them made sure no one would find them so their familys wouldnt know what they did.depression is no joke.it dosent just take a strong man or strong mind.but it takes unbreakable faith to overcome. I dont care what people belive.some think their grandpa Was a monkey.but i know this is demonic in nature.befor we battle our own flesh and blood we go to war with principalities. We all got your back in this fight my dude.

Hunting is great. I think I would be dead inside without it. It is often therapeutic and occassionally a mental meat grinder at the same time which I think is a good microcosm of life in general.

But there are many more important things that define a man. Service to family, community, country are all far more honorable than a collection of bone or pursuit of D-list fame imo.

I know i troll and fool around on here alot .but on the seriouse tip.the one person in my family i ever had anything in comon with put a bullet in his mouth. The sucide rate for men is 80 %higher than women.i thought Depression was for Teen age girls.many hunters go missing without a trace.not all but some of them made sure no one would find them so their familys wouldnt know what they did.depression is no joke.it dosent just take a strong man or strong mind.but it takes unbreakable faith to overcome. I dont care what people belive.some think their grandpa Was a monkey.but i know this is demonic in nature.befor we battle our own flesh and blood we go to war with principalities. We all got your back in this fight my dude.
Thnks bro. Means a ton man.
Its crazy how men suffer.
My brother took his life 3 years ago and it was so so tough. This week was the week. So it was such a bad day today.
I sobbed cried and just could not climb out of my hole i buried my mental state in.
It was just Off and on all freaking day with just disgust and self disappointment.
tomorrow is a new day and im going to try to either get some of my woodworking projects done or try to go sit in the afternoon.
i need to start excerising and eating right asap.
it will make me feel better a little at a time

Back