• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jibber-Jabberin' about Carbon Fiber Bolts

Nutterbuster

SH Member
After a week of being sicker than Ted Bundy, I'm finally feeling like my chipper self again. I missed past weekends video, so I thought I'd double-up this weekend to stay "on track."

I posted one video on the "problems with the new treehopper" thread. I figured a little video on the bolts I use with it would compliment it well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma drink a bottle of cough suppressant and pass out...

Edit: in light of valid concerns raised about the safety of utilizing carbon bolts to climb with, please be cognizant of the fact that emulating a redneck on the internet may not be beneficial to your long-term well being. Your's truly is 180lbs, young, nimble, and has no dependents. There is not a lot of margin for error when using carbon fiber bolts to climb. While I haven't broken one personally, other reputable forum members have done so. Grade 8 steel is much, much stronger without weighing much more; and is cheaper to boot.

For a good rundown on both sides of the carbon bolt fence, see the following thread:

https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-the-month-is-dangerous-change-my-mind.13396/

Do your homework before you climb, and take accountability for your own safety. I love me some carbon fiber, but I'm aware of the risks associated, and realize that I shoulder those risks personally each time I climb.

Last edited:
whats that thing you use to carry your bolts
Like @Vtbow says, just an Allen brand cartridge belt. 5 seconds with a pair of scissors, add a carabiner and a hair tie, and there you have it. Holds the bolts nice and snug.

I like to use a 23kn Black Diamond Neutrino for the carabiner. It's negligibly bigger than a non-rated biner, and potentially handy to have in the tree.

Like @Vtbow says, just an Allen brand cartridge belt. 5 seconds with a pair of scissors, add a carabiner and a hair tie, and there you have it. Holds the bolts nice and snug.

I like to use a 23kn Black Diamond Neutrino for the carabiner. It's negligibly bigger than a non-rated biner, and potentially handy to have in the tree.

Great idea. Just got some bolts myself and I love em.

what diameter bolts do you use? I went with the 1/2 inch and I weigh around 200. They seem stout. atleast I hope they are lol
I use the "standard" 3/8th (10mm) bolts. I'm about 180, and used them all of last season with no problems. They're definitely not as steong as grade 8 steel, but used with a tight lineman's belt I feel safe on them.

@dalton916, I'm just helping you develop your attention span!

If drilling trees was legal in Michigan I'd be all over this. Great set up @Nutterbuster , after actually watching you climb with those at saddlepalooza I've been wondering what the possibility of actually getting caught using them on public land would be. Probably slim to none, but still not worth it unfortunately.

I use the "standard" 3/8th (10mm) bolts. I'm about 180, and used them all of last season with no problems. They're definitely not as steong as grade 8 steel, but used with a tight lineman's belt I feel safe on them.

@dalton916, I'm just helping you develop your attention span!

You got your work cut out for you on that one, lmao

Anyone got a lead on some ninja claws to climb with? Lol good video, I'm considering doing this on my private spots and just stick with sticks and steps on the public ground

Nutters bolt holder inspired me to stitch this little thing up
29806cfd4e66feca686aca479686bb6f.jpg

c0f41ccca67c7b6f3023693ffafb82c5.jpg

a5f8e2f6749f462e2ca0d20b3ee4a133.jpg

There is a slot to run an optional 1" strap through with adjustable side release buckles. Allows me to go up/down the tree with it in various ways
17cceaf9ad40e977f0fb9f7681339a56.jpg

655149d06fd756616b10e51c270c0c82.jpg

Last edited:
@Squirrels. That’s some nice work! I stitched up one as well using 2 old tree straps. Works pretty well. I don’t have your sewing skills. But I can carry 15 bolts and my EZ-kut comfortably

Now it’s even better. Great idea! Everything right there as needed. Climb with it yet?

Feel free to market those. I bet you’d sell a couple
Nutters bolt holder inspired me to stitch this little thing up
29806cfd4e66feca686aca479686bb6f.jpg

c0f41ccca67c7b6f3023693ffafb82c5.jpg

a5f8e2f6749f462e2ca0d20b3ee4a133.jpg

There is a slot to run an optional 1" strap through with adjustable side release buckles. Allows me to go up/down the tree with it in various ways
17cceaf9ad40e977f0fb9f7681339a56.jpg

655149d06fd756616b10e51c270c0c82.jpg

Back