• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just ordered some Muddy Pro Sticks

justsomedude

$148 with free shipping from Jet.com. Hard to resist.
I got them for setups where I am not hiking or maybe I would use the 1 stick method on occasion.

I love the idea (never used them) of the Rope and the double steps and I know that I get more height from short sticks than long sticks. I have a set of short sticks already but the strap/packing system on them is terrible.

I already have Strapworks carry straps and several aiders and home made single webbing loops.

Any tips or tricks I should know about? I will likely use an aider on the bottom stick and single loops on the higher ones. I stay in the 15'-20' range.

Here is one end of my stick strap ends.
It doubles as my back band when in my saddle.
Undeniably the fastest and most quiet carrying strap I have ever tried.
Components include:
1 webbing strap
2 short whoopi slings to attach strap to sticks ( and to biner as back strap)
3 some 550 cord to connect the strap and amsteel whoopi - because I wanted to save some amsteel for a different project in mind...
29796e13c5330d5750e3e2e797b9be28.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I wrapped my old climbing sticks with camo horse tape. Since there are no buckles on the Muddy, do you see any need to silence them?

I wrapped my old climbing sticks with camo horse tape. Since there are no buckles on the Muddy, do you see any need to silence them?
I did...where they stack there will be metal to metal contact as well at the tree brackets.
Also when removing from the tree , I place my thumb on bottom cam cleat and manually open it to release the rope as it has a rendancy to snap shut with a loud click. Muddy says 2.5lbs ea.. my scale averages the 4 @ 3.3 each with a single aider made from REI tubular webbing. The tubing did not add that weight Muddy's are heavy. Last fall I mocked up a piece of 1" square tube 1/8" wall thickness with the Muddy steps and a versa button and lone wolf strap for a one stick climb with 4 step aider. That came in at 1.9 lbs without the lw strap.
Good luck .....

Last edited:
I am curious to see how high I can mount the first stick...If I can get it high enough to put a 5 step aider on the bottom. I am guessing a 4 step is more realistic

I am curious to see how high I can mount the first stick...If I can get it high enough to put a 5 step aider on the bottom. I am guessing a 4 step is more realistic
I'm 5'-10", long lean build so I may place my sticks higher than you like to.
1st stick w/t 4 step aid. Full arm extension high as to still reach cams. Top of first stick is about 7-1/2 feet and will settle about 7. Each additional stick with a single aid I place the cams at eye level, they settle in about 5-1/2- 6 ' between.
Your mileage may vary. I like using 3 for close hikes, and one with the 4 step aider and rappel for long hikes. ( that stick is the modified tube with versa button, lw strap, and Muddy stepps. I cut my tube to 24" and mounted the hard ware 1.5 " from each end (steps/ tree brackets ), versa button 9" from top....VERY STABLE and an easy one stick climb with practice....
I KNOW you have alot of practice and it will be easy for you JSD....!!!!
Enjoy 'em...

I am 6'1" and can comfortably tighten a strap at 7' (on the GROUND).
It looks like the Rope/Cleat system should be easy to set as high as I can reach. Math...

My old sticks have the typical Hook/Cam buckle. Requires you to pull the strap away from you and it can't be up too high to do that.

I am 6'1" and can comfortably tighten a strap at 7' (on the GROUND).
It looks like the Rope/Cleat system should be easy to set as high as I can reach. Math...

My old sticks have the typical Hook/Cam buckle. Requires you to pull the strap away from you and it can't be up too high to do that.

I find looping the rope at "level to" the cams offers the least settling as it grips the tree really tight and doesn't drop much. Finish with a half hitch for using more than one stick.
My third season with the pro's. ..I may convert the other 3 to versa button and custom tube as well.
If my math is right , I really think you can get your target height of 17-18' no problem with three sticks... ( 1) 4 step aider and singles on the other two, then your platform of choice or even stirrups.....?!?!?!

You can I’m 5’8” on a good day and can use the bottom loop depending on the tree and circumstance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you can get almost 8 feet

I'm 6' and I have a 5 step aider on 2 sections of my muddy pros. When I reach as high as I can and still be able to attach rope to tree, I can get 7' at the top of first step and aider. With both sections with aiders and the other two sections added during climb, I ranged with range finder, 8 yds (24').

That’s what makes sticks worthwhile
I guess I have not measured it but put the rope around the tree first hold the bottom of the stick and flip the rope up. You should be able to put the stick so the top of your hand just touches the cam mechanism. Then lock the rope in . I do the half hitches after I climb an aider step or two.

So the top step of the muddy stick should be about 6 inches higher than you can reach with your hand. That is how high you can get them.
I just measured my reach plus 6 inches is 90 inches. I am 5 10 but have long arms.

I stealth strip the sticks and I added stealth strip on strategic areas of the steps.

The two pieces that attach to the bar, there is one circular area on one of the pieces. I put that bar on the bottom. I then put paracord through it to attach my single step web aider. I also put hawk's rubber coated wire (like nite eyes) through it. I do this so I can attach the stick to my climbing belt with the wire. I assume it will work better for kestrel with the molle loops.

The ropes it comes with are a little short for my liking. I bought muddy life lines and made sections to replace the ropes. I think maybe 8' total each. That gives me the ability to use them on trees at least as large as the lone wolf straps. I also keep the original ropes in my truck. If I ever come to a tree where my installed ropes are too short, I can get the originals and join them to the installed ropes with a zeppelin bend knot on them to extend the rope more than I think I will ever need.

9c211219b8332ea5468c8e02e1da9a98.jpg
8ac750b2a55fdd641b1769619d6857f9.jpg
6546c816b420bf0023f758de01c0ff79.jpg
6743d9a65fd591051eb316bcbfc017a6.jpg

May take an extra minute but you could always use your "final" stick as a booster step a couple feet off the ground to hang the first higher and make use of that five step aider.

May take an extra minute but you could always use your "final" stick as a booster step a couple feet off the ground to hang the first higher and make use of that five step aider.

I have done that it only takes a min if that.

That is a great idea.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Back