• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Kestrel Buckles

Hillclimber

Is there anybody replacing the metal buckles on the kestrel with lighter, less noisy plastic ones?

I sewed up a few of these from neoprene. I got the idea from here, from Erniepower I believe

4a4f6ff0bd278af696d97bbc83348b35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried not to give him a hard time sounded like he had a lot on his plate. Just didn’t want anyone to find that old thread & send money.

Well my 1st set of ameristeps was from a member. They were mostly the recall steps....
It was in the early years of saddlehunter.com and I gave the benefit of the doubt that he just didn’t know any better. I didn’t know any better until I asked if the step should flex. Then we got to the bottom of it and @redsquirrel researched and posted the recall id numbers. It was a good education for all of us. Chalked it up as a learning experience.

Yikes. That sucks. He was all good when he first posted that. End of day it’s just some neoprene sewn together. I just didn’t have a sewing machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anybody replacing the metal buckles on the kestrel with lighter, less noisy plastic ones?
I cut off the legs straps and replaced the waist buckle with a plastic buckle that I had in my stash of goodies. I don't recommend modifying a saddle's structural integrity in any way, but I have used my trophyline saddle for 16 years with leg straps and shoulder straps removed and it has no waist buckle. I've had a couple of minor slips over the years but always climb with a linesman belt and never have slack in my tether or linesman belt. I don't like clankity metal things and I go very sloooow when climbing and descending.

Well my 1st set of ameristeps was from a member. They were mostly the recall steps....
It was in the early years of saddlehunter.com and I gave the benefit of the doubt that he just didn’t know any better. I didn’t know any better until I asked if the step should flex. Then we got to the bottom of it and @redsquirrel researched and posted the recall id numbers. It was a good education for all of us. Chalked it up as a learning experience.
Recall steps are fine for a platform. never had one break. I buy them cheaper and hold on to them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Asked boswell why those particular buckles were used and complained about the weight, he said they were chosen because they were QD and met their safety requirements.

John E cut those straps off his Kestrel, there's an old thread with pics...

Yea I wouldn’t want to cut em off. But maybe incorporate plastic like the hss.

actually most of the buckles on a hss are metal, similar type

I've hunted off of recall steps for years without any issue. I bought them on AT and didn't know, any better at the time either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I tried not to give him a hard time sounded like he had a lot on his plate. Just didn’t want anyone to find that old thread & send money.
Yep. He kinda disappeared. To bad cause I wanted to order a few more sets

Yep. He kinda disappeared. To bad cause I wanted to order a few more sets

Hopefully he is OK. If his handle is any indication, he's got some life experience

I don't wrap my kestrel buckles. There is potential for make some noise. I have had my cam on my bow hit them and when you take kestrel off there is the possibility they may bang together.

I'm more intrigued with cutting the dang things off... John E. gave me some ideas with his modded kestrel. But i'll buy another kestrel to mod before I cut up the one I have.

Back