• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knee Pads or pad on tree?

Knee pads. Put them on at the truck and never think about them until I get back and take them off. On cold days I just swap them to my outer layer at the tree.

Do you hunt a saddle no matter what? I am still trying to figure out how I will be able to hunt out of a saddle when its cold. I typically have to climb up with right next to nothing and then get dressed in the stand.

Any incite?

Im just starting w/ the saddle but I have been using a pad strapped to the tree and it works fine. I am curious on the colder days how the heck I am going to put my hands in the pockets of my jacket though....that doesnt appear to be possible in a saddle. Could be an issue

I agree. The ease of hunting from it while its decent temps is very enticing, but I do believe there will be some major challenges for me in cold weather.

Lucky for me, I just recently purchased one of the original LW stands that weighs right at #10. It is going to be very good in cold weather.

I have a huge problem of sweating. I typically wear a single layer in(even on days where its in the teens) and by the time I get up to my hunting height, i'm drenched. i'll then have to get dressed in the stand.

Sounds like you solved your problem Daniel. I too walk to stand late season up north most of the time with one layer and finish dressing on the Assassin. I also have a few of the older Limits, and small Gorillas, style stands to hunt out of when on private that have plenty of room.

Do you hunt a saddle no matter what? I am still trying to figure out how I will be able to hunt out of a saddle when its cold. I typically have to climb up with right next to nothing and then get dressed in the stand.

Any incite?
Yes I haven't hunted out of treestand in years. I have hunted many times in single digits in my saddle. I usually hunt pre-sets so I put my clothes on at the base of the tree and climb up. If I was using sticks or something I'd probably hang them and then put my clothes on and climb. I think @bowhunter15 told me he did that last year. I did climb with my eonpow climbers at 16 degrees last winter and work up a little sweat.

I found that as I got comfortable with all of my climbing methods, and I SLOWED down, I don't sweat anymore when it's cold. If it's about 80 degrees it don't matter what I'm wearing or how I'm climbing I'll be sweating.

I leave heavy jacket off for the climb, or unzipped. Another big thing that helps is having pants or bibs to the hip from both ends. I have a heavy bib that does this. But, I can get fully dressed, go slow, and not sweat too bad.

On topic - I hunt with both knee pads and pad on the tree. I will probably start using pad on the tree a little more just because the pad will serve a dual purpose in my packing arrangement.

Also knee pads.
To be clear, I still use the Anderson, or Kestrel with the stands. I don't believe I could stand/sit facing away from the tree for any amount of time anymore. Have not done that in a few years. For me, the 2 biggest reasons for saddle type hunting is the 360 shooting, and lower back relief. Weight has never had anything what so ever in my decision, whether I've been on public, ( Adirondacks in NY, GW National Forest here in VA.) or local private 3 - 5 acre sub division sets. I'm all for comfort.

Yes I haven't hunted out of treestand in years. I have hunted many times in single digits in my saddle. I usually hunt pre-sets so I put my clothes on at the base of the tree and climb up. If I was using sticks or something I'd probably hang them and then put my clothes on and climb. I think @bowhunter15 told me he did that last year. I did climb with my eonpow climbers at 16 degrees last winter and work up a little sweat.
If it's really cold and I have a ton of extra layers I sometimes make an extra trip to the base of the tree to layer up. But if I'm wearing bibs I'll often leave them fully unzipped while climbing and have the jackets in my pack that goes up the tree in one trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Knee pads. Put them on at the truck and never think about them until I get back and take them off. On cold days I just swap them to my outer layer at the tree.
@redsquirrel have you tried the knaider with your knee-pads on? I was wondering if the knee-pad interferes or get damaged by the hook.

I used the xop seat cushion some but when I bought knee pads I haven’t used it since.

That is a darn good question. I don't think I've had them on when practicing with the knaider.

What a timely question. I just came out of a tree and was testing out the knee pads. I am using mountain biking pads. The knaider actually works better because I can cinch it tighter around the pad and my leg. I am slowly adding more stuff to my practice climbs. Can't do too much clothing yet because it is way to warm out.

My first time using pads. Oh my that ups the comfort level big time. IMG_20180824_150521798.jpg

IMG_20180824_150501418.jpg

You can't tell from the photos, but with three steps and the platform, I am at about 20 feet. I started to make a vid but my ratchet strap crapped out on me. Nedxt time :)

I've been using my turkey vest as my hunting pack for years now. I just remove the fold down seat and it provides a clean way to carry and access everything I need for a hunt. I'm generally a leaner or sit straddling the tree but it just occurred to me that if I left the seat attached it could double as a knee pad/rest in the tree.

20180819_081619_resized.jpg

I used knee pads last year and I found them slightly annoying but the trade off was well worth it. I shift from leaning to sitting so having something is a must. This season I bought a BowBat that will carry my bow and essentials but it also wraps around the tree and has built in padding. If this works well I will not but using the knee pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using my turkey vest as my hunting pack for years now. I just remove the fold down seat and it provides a clean way to carry and access everything I need for a hunt. I'm generally a leaner or sit straddling the tree but it just occurred to me that if I left the seat attached it could double as a knee pad/rest in the tree.

View attachment 5816
I took the seat from my retired turkey vest and just stuffed/rolled it into whatever I plan on taking in with me. It's why I have to explain to the boss "This is why you keep old gear." It's all about re-purposing when she balances the check book!

I used the xop seat cushion some but when I bought knee pads I haven’t used it since.

Which knee pads did you get? I can’t make up my mind knee pads of XOP seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back