• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Legs fall asleep ?

As in a sling

Do you guys often have your legs fall asleep if you're in a saddle that you're sitting in as opposed to just leaning against ? Is there anything you find that helps ?

Mine did that this weekend for the 1st time. It was opening weekend and I haven't got in my routine yet so I'm guessing I had something out of wack. Never remember that happening before.
I've always been a sitter. Last year I used an XOP platform but went back to ameristeps this year. Don't know what's going on. Might have had the saddle to low on my thighs.

Do you find the saddle pressing against the back of your thighs putting your legs to sleep ? I was in my climber this weekend and the netting seat was doing that.

Might be. Last year I used my diy sitdrag copy but using that XOP platform I didn't sit as much. It made me more of a leaner. Before I had an EVO and I could take the pressure off my thighs with the adjustments. Now I'm sitting longer with my sitdrag copy and I think that's what's happening. Can't wait until my kestrel comes in.

No I don't have problems with my legs falling asleep. Did you and what saddle were you in? Or did your climber just make you think of it? A nice things about the saddle is you can shorten your tether so you are not sitting so deep in the saddle and the new ones come with adjustments. @swampsnyper I bet one of those was the cause for you and your sit and drag.

I'm starting to mock up something between the sit drag and the kestrel and incorporating a rock harness as the fail safe. The thing I see with my climber seat( having used it now it's not all that they make it out to be)is that the climber seat and the sit drag don't do much to relieve the pressure in the middle of your thighs and that makes my legs and, ahem, other pelvic areas. I want to be able to sit comfortably so I'm trying to incorporate that into my design. I'll have pics as I go, unless it terrible, then we never had this conversation

You need to make the front part of the saddle wider than the back so it relieves pressure under your thigh. Just like the adjustments do on the kestrel and evo.

My rock harness has pretty wide substantial padding across the back of the leg loops as the waist support so I may try to get the bottom edge lined up somewhat with those. I'm going to see tonight how my sewing machine does sewing through seatbelt webbing and that will determine if I go that route for the bridge connections. My alternative idea is to use climbing rope across the top and bottom edges but if I do that it will need something to insulate and pad the rope cause that will definitely dig in. The machine is a white 5280 "Jeans Machine", so I'm guardedly optimistic. It may seem like a lot but I don't have the cash to spare on a saddle and I enjoy building stuff so it's a fun challenge. And up until last weekend I had used sticks and a hang on so the climbing isn't really intimidating. Frankly I felt like a fish out of water using that climber.

Lots of us have sewn saddles. I'm still using the one I made with a backup rock climbing harness last year. Stopped using the rock climbing harness as back up this year. Got a kestrel on order so I'm hoping it will take the place of my sitdrag copy and rock climbing harness all in one unit.

Yeah, I figure if I I like the method, this is a cheap way to find out and in the future I'll spend the money on a Kestrel or some other type.

Back