• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let’s talk Platforms

shmelton

SH Member
I’ve got a POS platform that I bought off of Amazon last yr when I got back into Saddle Hunting. Like I said it’s a POS, works fine especially since I cut 3” off the vertical bar (can’t remember term) and re drilled. It’s light, but it’s loud. It has a ratchet strap, and I can toe cam it in to where there is no movement, and no kick out. I put grip tape on the edges so my muck boots don’t slip off. It’s like a Hawk knock off but with the toe cam pice going the right way. Did I say it’s loud? Unless I ratchet the vertical piece to it really tight it sounds like your hauling a Baker Climber through the woods. For those of you who never used a homemade Baker style climber y’all missed out.

Anyway, what’s the consensus on platforms? Y’all gave me some great advice on saddles. Tell me how to spend my money, on a platform.

I had (still have, why sell when I can hoard saddle hunting gear) a XOP Edge platform that I felt great on last season. Always very stable for me even walking around the tree for a shot. Only reason I switched was weight, picked up a Tethrd Predator off the classifieds here. I didn’t go XL on it, I found I’m pretty much a leaner anyway so I’d rather save the pound.

I won't try to sell you on any, but here's my experience so far

Started with a predator platform, liked the weight, platform size was a smidge small as I wasn't super comfortable in a saddle yet. Size is fine now. I had many years of cam locking experience with lone wolf treestands prior and would still have issues with it cam locking. It always wanted to spring up a little. I also had a lot of issues with noise when shifting from standing to sitting or shifting from side to side.

Next I got a trophyline mission. I didn't mind the weight but it was much heavier than the predator. But it cam locked like a dream, and the platform size felt like being in a treestand after using the predator.

Now I'm using a trophyline EDP. It feels light after using the mission. The platform size is good and I've got no issue with space. It cam locks beautifully and like the mission is dead silent.

Last edited:
If you want a pretty good less expensive platform, the XOP Edge; If you don't mind spending some bucks the Lone Wolf Fix is all you will ever need. (my two cents)

Alot of saddle hunters seem to like to add steps on their platform set up, medium or smaller in size. When I use a EDP I like 3 or 4 steps. Now I am at 4lbs 13oz.
Would I still need to do this on a larger platform, IDK?
My point is a larger platform without steps may weigh close to a smaller one with some steps??

Alot of saddle hunters seem to like to add steps on their platform set up, medium or smaller in size. When I use a EDP I like 3 or 4 steps. Now I am at 4lbs 13oz.
Would I still need to do this on a larger platform, IDK?
My point is a larger platform without steps may weigh close to a smaller one with some steps??
Assuming you mean something like a ROS type step. You’re probably right there. I personally don’t see the need for them, predator weighs 3 pounds and I’m comfortable “walking” around it to get darn near 360 if I’m not. To each their own though, if you’re more comfortable doing it or get better shots that’s certainly worth the weight.

Assuming you mean something like a ROS type step. You’re probably right there. I personally don’t see the need for them, predator weighs 3 pounds and I’m comfortable “walking” around it to get darn near 360 if I’m not. To each their own though, if you’re more comfortable doing it or get better shots that’s certainly worth the weight.
Depends alot on the size trees you hunt.
If the tree has some lean that will also affect how you can move around. Also we talking archery or gun. Shooting traditional archery or compound is alot different then my Hickory creek.

Depends alot on the size trees you hunt.
If the tree has some lean that will also affect how you can move around. Also we talking archery or gun. Shooting traditional archery or compound is alot different then my Hickory creek.

I wonder how much archery practice the average saddle hunter does in the saddle on teeny tiny steps with a tree in the lap. And to what level of aptitude.

Saddle hunting is very dynamic.

I prefer a larger platform, to support as much situational consistency as possible.

That comes with drawbacks of larger heavier platforms.

I wonder how much archery practice the average saddle hunter does in the saddle on teeny tiny steps with a tree in the lap. And to what level of aptitude.

I prefer a larger platform, to support as much situational consistency as possible.

Which platform do you run? I currently have the EDP with size 12 boots. Not a lot of room on the platform, however, I do practice quite a bit with it so I am fairly comfortable with the various shots. I have been looking at other platforms that are bigger though. Looking for any input.

Which platform do you run? I currently have the EDP with size 12 boots. Not a lot of room on the platform, however, I do practice quite a bit with it so I am fairly comfortable with the various shots. I have been looking at other platforms that are bigger though. Looking for any input.

I go for the .5 more often than not. Or my climbing platform (22" deep).

But I'm pretty comfortable on the Ridge Runner XL and Ambush.

I like the Lone Wolf Custom Gear Fix a ton too, but that's pushing it for me. I can turn on it, but it's more confined. I'm a 13 in trainers, up to 14 in Mountain boots. It is definitely more portable though.

I generally prefer a platform of 14-15" deep. (The RRxL is nice because there's no post interference and it's an inch or more further from the tree.)

I've never tried it, but the Onyx may have an edge in standing/leaning comfort (or rather, a lack of edges).

It's best just to be realistic about how "mobile" you will need to be, and weigh that against your comfort/shooting. The right sized platform comes from that.

Interesting to think about for sure. I guess inexperience led and leads me to practice more and I’ve found my comfort level even with size 13 Boggs on. I do however still choose trees that work best for my ability whenever possible. Couldn’t see myself adding steps but as much time as I spend on the classified that could change tonight. ‍♂️

People poo on Tethrd but I think the Predator has the best size to weight ratio out of the platforms that I’ve tried. Trophyline EDP is nice as well but it doesn’t fold flat like the Predator.

Despite broken platforms, revisions, and units with bowed construction, the Tethrd Predator has undoubtedly been a successful platform for many hunters.

It's smaller than I prefer.

I recommend drawing various platforms on cardboard or making mock ups. The dimensions of most platforms are out there to do so. Then form an opinion on what might suit, and research those in depth.

As others have said, it really depends on you priorities. I've tried a ton of the smaller offerings because packability rates high on my list. I've used the Tethrd Predator, Out on a Limb Ridge Runner and Scouts (both slanted and flat), and a Trophyline EDP.

I started with the Tethrd Predator. Its light and folds compact but I don't think it sticks to the tree as well as some others. It's a good all around solution but I didn't like the fact that there were times I couldn't get it absolutely locked to the tree.

The Ridge Runner was solid but too big, the Scouts were also solid but too small. The scouts were light and supremely packable but I like to be able to stand fully and take the weight off my tether if I need to and they were just too small for that, especially the slanted one.

The EDP has, for me proven to be the best all around that I've tried. It's still small enough to pack (although it is almost 1.5X as thick folded as the Predator) but it locks on the tree. Best of both worlds for me.

In all instances I ditched the cam straps in favor of a simple length of amsteel to timber hitch them to the tree. No knots to tie, and . . . more importantly, no metal to clang off the platform setting up.

I like the Lone Wolf Custom Gear Fix a ton too, but that's pushing it for me. I can turn on it, but it's more confined. I'm a 13 in trainers, up to 14 in Mountain boots. It is definitely more portable though.

I understand your perspective. My boots are 9.5 to 10 depending upon temperatures. The Fix is just big enough for me but the Ambush has more of a front porch feel to it. I really like packing the Fix and pick it the most.

Interesting to think about for sure. I guess inexperience led and leads me to practice more and I’ve found my comfort level even with size 13 Boggs on. I do however still choose trees that work best for my ability whenever possible. Couldn’t see myself adding steps but as much time as I spend on the classified that could change tonight. ‍♂

This is a game of what works for you.

I could fool myself into a hypothesis that I'll be xx% more effective if I have a platform 1 pound lighter, as I'll be more mobile. Perhaps.

But I think shooting consistency is much more measurable. I don't know that I don't have a gift for dynamic shooting, it's just percentages seem against it.

I go for the .5 more often than not. Or my climbing platform (22" deep).

But I'm pretty comfortable on the Ridge Runner XL and Ambush.

I generally prefer a platform of 14-15" deep. (The RRxL is nice because there's no post interference and it's an inch or more further from the tree.)

I've never tried it, but the Onyx may have an edge in standing/leaning comfort (or rather, a lack of edges).

It's best just to be realistic about how "mobile" you will need to be, and weigh that against your comfort/shooting. The right sized platform comes from that.
I still don't own the .5 ( sorry Plebe) I do have LW stands that I use in reverse and turn around with a saddle. I cobbled an EDP into a one stick that I call a cam stick. My go to.
I also love my two 32" LW sticks with an an extra versa button. and use with a swaider that I can reach 15 feet with a platform and 2 ROS.
The ladder stand can also be sooo comfy at times. Whatever it takes!!

This is a game of what works for you.

I could fool myself into a hypothesis that I'll be xx% more effective if I have a platform 1 pound lighter, as I'll be more mobile. Perhaps.

But I think shooting consistency is much more measurable. I don't know that I don't have a gift for dynamic shooting, it's just percentages seem against it.
Comfort shooting is worth the xtra fiddle faddle in the end especially with a successful hunt. As we get older and smarter we tend to make things like stand weight and quick time of setup less of importance. Patience is a virtue.

Does anyone know what the Ridge Runner and the XL weigh? I didn’t see it on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the Ridge Runner and the XL weigh? I didn’t see it on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Runner XL is 5lbs 7.3oz on my scale.

Back