• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Longevity of gear

LASOutdoorsmen

I'm a young hunter and I plan on hunting for the 50+ years (life expectancy rate grows ever year, so I can only hope ). Right now I am able to have some spending money because I don't have kids and I'm not expecting anytime soon. Typically when I buy hunting gear I buy something that's practical, not for the hype. In addition I always ask myself "How long will this last?",because I don't like spending money on cheap things. That's what I'd like to discuss. I'd first I like to discuss the longevity of climbing tree stands, tree saddles, and ground blinds. Each one serves its own purpose and not one is right for all situations. I may use my climber 5-10 times a season, my saddle 5-20 times a season, and my ground blind 5-10 times a season. I also use my saddle for preseason scouting, which typically is 2 weeks before and after the season. My gear always goes in and out with me. For those who hunted for a while , typically under generous use how often do these things have to be replaced?
From my knowledge and understanding, a climbing tree stand ( like Lone Wolf Hand Climber) should last a lifetime because of its all metal construction. Ground blinds (quality ones like the original Double Bull blinds and Rhino Blinds) and tree saddles wear over time. I've seen guys use the same tree saddle for ten years before replacing it. So if you're able to get your hands on good quality American made hunting gear, how many spares should you have for the long haul?

I spend big money on the important stuff: clothing, footwear, bow, scopes on my rifles, etc. I buy the best quality that I can afford on anything related to precision or comfort/time in field. These are the things that can make or break your season.

Bow holders, I buy the 3 for $8 cheap screw in type, not the fancy extendable arms and 7 ball bearing, swivel mounted, 9 hangar...
Fixed tree stands, I buy basic ones - but I have a $100 gel seat that makes any stand comfortable.

I only expect my guns and scopes to last a lifetime. I wouldn't mind if my Switchback gave me another 20 years too. But stuff gets broken, stolen, lost, used up... My calls are cheap (except for waterfowl) and I don't like using scents and bait much. Trail cameras are always subject to being stolen or forgotten so I have the cheapest black flash ones I could find. Moultrie 7MP black IR with card and batteries for $70. I just bought a bunch of climbing ladders - I bought the cheap 20' ladders as permanent stands. Then I do have two light weight (Lone Wolf & X-stands) sets of sticks so that I can do a quick or long walk set up.

Nothing wrong with buying quality gear but don't blow all your money trying to buy gear for the rest of your life. Put the money you were going to spend on extra stands into a retirement account. Start investing young and you'll have more money than you know what to do with in 50 yrs.

20 years ago I worked in some tackle shops and bought tons of stuff cause I had the pro deals and that whole thing. Now it's just a bunch of outdated junk in a closet collecting dust :) .

I've been hunting almost exclusively out of a trophyline tree saddle since 2009. It was made in 2004 and I bought it used. There is no telling how many hours have been put on this thing and there are no signs of wear. I can't imagine it not lasting another 10-20 years.

I have an API Grand Slam climbing stand that is at least 12 years old. I've replaced the chains and the seat once each. It has some wear and tear but I can't imagine it not lasting a really long time.

The thing about the Saddles is that they are nearly indestructible. Run it over with your truck? No problem. Drop it off a building? So what.

Re: RE: Re: Longevity of gear

g2outdoors said:
I've been hunting almost exclusively out of a trophyline tree saddle since 2009. It was made in 2004 and I bought it used. There is no telling how many hours have been put on this thing and there are no signs of wear. I can't imagine it not lasting another 10-20 years.

I have an API Grand Slam climbing stand that is at least 12 years old. I've replaced the chains and the seat once each. It has some wear and tear but I can't imagine it not lasting a really long time.

The thing about the Saddles is that they are nearly indestructible. Run it over with your truck? No problem. Drop it off a building? So what.
I'm glad you posted this because I wanting to get rid of the saddles I'm not going to use. What model of the Trophyline tree saddles do you have ?

g2outdoors said:
I have two Neoprene models. I've never used the leather or ambush models.
Do they make you sweat when the temperatures are above 60°?

LASOutdoorsmen said:
g2outdoors said:

Mine did. The neoprene is not breathable and I would find that my behind would be damp after warm weather sits.

-Sent from d_mobile

d_rek said:
LASOutdoorsmen said:
g2outdoors said:

Mine did. The neoprene is not breathable and I would find that my behind would be damp after warm weather sits.

-Sent from d_mobile
Do you have any experience with the leather saddle?
I'm not sure which one I should sell, I have both.

IMO keep whichever is more pack able. I could barely fit my neoprene saddle into a daypack.

-Sent from d_mobile

I like my mesh tree saddle way more than the neoprene one. The advantage of the neoprene one was it was a bit more comfortable.

Back