• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Make backpack into padded lineman belt

davesonic444

My backpack has a thick hip strap that i am toying with the idea of adding loops to attach my Lb. I use climbing sticks to ascend and curious if this has been tried and your results.
Dave

Without seeing it....:I would do the opposite. Find a belt you can wear a pack with. I have the treehopper belt. Very heavy duty belt with very heavy duty d rings installed correctly. You could hang from it but you wouldn't want to on purpose :)

You could also attach a loop of webbing around your back with tied loops on each end and use your pack just to hold it in place. That way you only have to trust climbing rated materials.

What would you recommend for the webbing and would overhand loops work? I thought about modding my RC harness but i am concerned about compromising its integrity.

Tubular climbing webbing with overhand knots on a bight.
I had that attached to my Alpine BOD. Ran it through loops where I could (on the right and back) and then tied it on the left side with accessory cord.

It's just hanging on your harness without modifying it

My backpack has a thick hip strap that i am toying with the idea of adding loops to attach my Lb. I use climbing sticks to ascend and curious if this has been tried and your results.
Dave

From a safety perspective I caution you. Depending on that back pack, the webbing holding those hip straps MAY: not be climbing rated, not be a complete piece, stitched into material that is not climbing rated, have a buckle that isn't climbing rated, etc...

there is value in the concept for sure. just be sure to make it back here safely so you can tell us about it.

You can get tubular webbing on any climbing gear site or check out a local REI or Eastern mountain sports.

I'm using that too. Treehopper is great.

I cut off their rope and replaced with my own rope and a Ropeman. But used it many times in factory form until I found a very Limby tree that I wanted to get up faster.

From a safety perspective I caution you. Depending on that back pack, the webbing holding those hip straps MAY: not be climbing rated, not be a complete piece, stitched into material that is not climbing rated, have a buckle that isn't climbing rated, etc...
x2

Make sure you are getting TUBULAR webbing. You would like for it to certified. There is a lot of webbing for sale on the internet and most of it will hold you just fine. But the good 1" tubular is generally rated for 4,000lbs. I use it to back up connect to my rock harness when using a SitDrag too.

Omni Pro Gear sells 10 yard rolls on Amazon if you don't have a climbing store or an REI nearby.
https://www.amazon.com/4000lb-Tubul...id=1477503964&sr=8-2&keywords=Tubular+webbing

Back