• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Making Aiders

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan
Hi guys.....

I'm new to saddle hunting, and have been working on procuring all the gear I need for my system. I hunt my 40 acres, on which I plan on using spurs or bolts. I also hunt a buddy's property, and the state land that it abuts. I picked up a set of Muddy Aerolite sticks for use on the state land where spurs and bolts aren't permitted.

I'd like to add two-step aiders to my sticks, but unsure how to go about this. I have a dozen or so of the cheap harnesses that came with the various stands I've previously used. I screwed around and made a one step aider using this material, but I dont love it, and wasnt able to come up with an intuitive way to make a two-step at all.

Can anyone share how to make a two-step aider? Materials, how tied, etc. I dont sew, so hopefully this isn't required. Safety/ease of use are my priorities, since this is all new to me.

Any advice is appreciated.

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
I have been through a few different webbing iterations and didn't care too much for them, so far my favorite is the most recent I made of 7mm static cord. I like the simplicity and versatility of the movable aiders. It certainly isn't the most lightweight, if that is a concern amsteel will be a good bit lighter.

It is a continous loop with double fisherman knots. It is a movable aider and the knot "wedges" in the stick standoff.

The middle step is tied in with figure 8 follow through.

Hose and tape fortify the steps.

Screenshot_20180521-213047_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
If you move it up onto every stick all of a sudden the weight and bulk become much less of an issue. I like the size of the loops, looks like it would be pretty easy to get your feet into going down, which seems to be one of the biggest issues. Nice work!

drew

May 30, 2018
New York
I have been through a few different webbing iterations and didn't care too much for them, so far my favorite is the most recent I made of 7mm static cord. I like the simplicity and versatility of the movable aiders. It certainly isn't the most lightweight, if that is a concern amsteel will be a good bit lighter.

It is a continous loop with double fisherman knots. It is a movable aider and the knot "wedges" in the stick standoff.

View attachment 4860

Movable... this is genius!

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan

View attachment 4860

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just starting to tinker around with this, and your picture helped me realize a couple things about the crude prototype that I put together. First, I never thought about using one singular aider, figuring I'd make one for each stick. I also planned on attaching mine to the bottom set of steps, which would likely preclude me from using one moveable aider.

How long was the length of rope you used in order to get this length aider?

Thanks again for the info!

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
You'd have to play around with it, it might be too hard to move, no idea, but one is a lot less hassle/weight/bulk than 3 or 4.

gabowhtr

May 15, 2018
Anyone have experience with using something like the black diamond 5 step aider as a movable aider?

Craig S

Dec 30, 2017

View attachment 4860

Where did you get your rope?

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
The moveable aider was to the 2017 hunting season what the ernie xop platform was to 2016 :tearsofjoy:

red you need to explain that for the other noobie's we have no idea what you are talking about other than I know what an aider and a platform are.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
red you need to explain that for the other noobie's we have no idea what you are talking about other than I know what an aider and a platform are.
Lol! In 2016 the XOP seat was the new fad that everyone started using. In 2017 it was a single moveable aider. I look forward to seeing what 2018 brings :D

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Anyone have experience with using something like the black diamond 5 step aider as a movable aider?

I have used one for two years. The six step one though. I put a rope extension to reach the top step on my stick.
The only thing I did not like is the steps are about 12 inches apart.
I have made an Amsteel aider with steps 16 inches apart. It is lighter and more packable. That is a @flinginairos idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gabowhtr

Bowhunter83

Oct 5, 2017

View attachment 4860
What knot did you tie to join the two ropes together? Square knot?