• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Maximum tree intrusion allowed on public land?

Melayl

I know tree spurs dig too deeply into a tree to be allowed on public land. I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum depth of intrusion into a tree/bark was allowable on public land. I have a few ideas rattling around in the empty hallways in the back of my brain, and I want to see if they're feasible...

Never seen a regulation written with specific depth. Most say must not damage trees. It’s kind of up to the person writing the ticket as to what consists of damage.

That's what I'm afraid of. I couldn't find anything onthe SD Game, Fish, and Parks website. I may have to check with one of the University botany departments or something...

My state harvests pine trees for timber on our public land. All the hardwood bottoms don’t get cut. So if you damage a tree and it dies did you hurt the forest or open up the canopy allowing light to reach the ground to promote growth of understory and reduce competition to other trees.

I know tree spurs dig too deeply into a tree to be allowed on public land. I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum depth of intrusion into a tree/bark was allowable on public land. I have a few ideas rattling around in the empty hallways in the back of my brain, and I want to see if they're feasible...
really good question.....I have thought the same thing....depending on the tree stand some will cause alot more damage than spurs

This is definitely a state specific question due to the individual regulations. I am allowed to use screw in steps in most of my state.

really good question.....I have thought the same thing....depending on the tree stand some will cause alot more damage than spurs

Spurs cause a specific type of damage to the tree whereby every spike hole pierces through the cambium layer of the tree causing wood decay and an entryway into the tree for insects and diseases. Climbers, ones that I've used anyway, tend to scuff up bark more but the damage is primarily limited to the outer bark which may look like more damage has been done to the tree standing on the ground looking at it, but physiologically doesn't hurt the tree. Look up cork harvesting. Visually it looks like massive damage is being done to the trees but doing it in the proper way, the tree survives it fine because it's done carefully to only cut the non-vital portions of the tree. Cut a little too deep and it girdles the tree and kills it.

Tree biology is a little tricky to understand. I can cut off say a 4" branch in the proper location, just outside the branch collar, and the tree relatively quickly compartmentalizes the decay and calluses over the wound in a few years. Make the same cut an inch closer to the trunk cutting into the branch collar and it can lead to decay cavities in the trunk and take many years to callus over. Same size cut, slightly different location, very different damage to the tree.

Spurs cause a specific type of damage to the tree whereby every spike hole pierces through the cambium layer of the tree causing wood decay and an entryway into the tree for insects and diseases. Climbers, ones that I've used anyway, tend to scuff up bark more but the damage is primarily limited to the outer bark which may look like more damage has been done to the tree standing on the ground looking at it, but physiologically doesn't hurt the tree. Look up cork harvesting. Visually it looks like massive damage is being done to the trees but doing it in the proper way, the tree survives it fine because it's done carefully to only cut the non-vital portions of the tree. Cut a little too deep and it girdles the tree and kills it.

Tree biology is a little tricky to understand. I can cut off say a 4" branch in the proper location, just outside the branch collar, and the tree relatively quickly compartmentalizes the decay and calluses over the wound in a few years. Make the same cut an inch closer to the trunk cutting into the branch collar and it can lead to decay cavities in the trunk and take many years to callus over. Same size cut, slightly different location, very different damage to the tree.
I would guess that it would also depend on the climber and tree type, along with environmental factors such as drought stress, time of year as well. Some bark being more hardy and less likely to damage such as oaks I would think would be less likely than say a softer wood as in pine. I cannot specifically attest to damage by spikes as I am in the slow process of learning to use mine, but again depending on the tree I have seen minimal damage whereas I would never climb a pine in spikes (if I even knew how...lol) As again in the case of climbers I would think softer trees would be more likely to be damaged more severely and thereby causing stress and/or the likelihood of insect infestation. So it maybe a case of tree type and the amount of damage the climbing apparatus (whether spurs or climber) that is used.

A lot of our public land says no metal objects driven into tree, I think this is mostly for damage to blades or injury when it is harvested if the metal is left in( nails, screws steps etc.) some of our state land wont even let you hang a hammock .

I called the game warden directly and asked about WMA's in VA. He said it was ok. It was also deemd ok on some Federally managed game lands per the Forrestry Dept there.

These laws very state by state.

North Carolina for instance states:

"It is unlawful to erect or to occupy for the purpose of hunting, any
tree stand or platform attached by nails, screws, bolts or wire to a
tree on any game land designated herein. This prohibition shall
not apply to lag-screw steps or portable stands that are removed
after use with no metal left remaining in or attached to the tree."

So as long as your not leaving metal in or on the tree your good here, spiking up a tree is legal.

Indiana is 1/2"

Interesting, on most hardwoods 1/2" is deeper than the cambium, so the damage to the tree has been done...but not a deep enough hole to be useful for steps and sort of a grey area for spikes. I guess people that make laws don't think about how logical they are or how hard they would be to enforce.

Michigan prohibits penetration of thr layer just under the bark. I can't remember the name of the layer but it is specified.
cambium layer is what I was told by Michigan DNR. And they said spikes were illegal.

Anyone ever seen a warden looking for said violations in the actual woods? Just wondering. IMHO most I've seen either drive up to you in a truck or boat or wait for you at your vehicle. If you told one you were hunting in a saddle they wouldn't even know what that is and think you were an idiot.

Back