• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mock Up of a Draft of a Copy of The Ken Sling... sort of

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
Not too committal about how this will turn out. But here is the shell so far. I will try to remember to take pics throughout the build.

Starts with three seat belt pieces that I stitched together.

28d62f382c3bc84ab5fb2e8f90d2ae5e.jpg

I am adding some webbing to the back now. The main purpose of this webbing is to force the seat belt pieces apart (secondarily to hold them together. I think this is the key.... you want to keep the belts spread out because under weight (read "my fat bottom") they want to bunch together.

e9c1a03ad8240a8e6a96b9244e81e3d1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
Yeah. If this works out, I'm gonna hit you up for more details. I've lost count of how much webbing I bought this year and how many slings I've made (that didn't quite make the cut- only a few actually get used) using a similar approach. Maybe I should invest in a seWing machine instead of hand stitching. But that just feels wrong to me somehow.
I hope you do better than I did. Btw- I hunted out of my coon saddle this week(that's one of maybe five slings that I can actually use)

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
Didn't get too far yet. The kids wanted to watch TV with Daddy... that is code for "can you break out the special treats you hide in the man cave and we will trade you some attention for it?" But I will have more pics tonight.

Essdub, I have zero confidence that this prototype will be my go-to saddle. I'm not even stitching it well enough for off ground use yet. However, I really think the key is building up a solid frame in a few key places. From studying the Ken sling, Anderson, Big Buck, and assessing their qualities... well, we will see. But I think that is where the solution is. You probably can't do with your hand held speedy stitcher what I can do with my all steel injector. However, I'm sure I can get it worked out.

By the way, I think this is where the stock Sit n Drag fails. I may just build that up in a few places and send it to G2 to assess vs a raw SnD to see if it fixes 75% of the comfort issue.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Didn't get too far yet. The kids wanted to watch TV with Daddy... that is code for "can you break out the special treats you hide in the man cave and we will trade you some attention for it?" But I will have more pics tonight.

Essdub, I have zero confidence that this prototype will be my go-to saddle. I'm not even stitching it well enough for off ground use yet. However, I really think the key is building up a solid frame in a few key places. From studying the Ken sling, Anderson, Big Buck, and assessing their qualities... well, we will see. But I think that is where the solution is. You probably can't do with your hand held speedy stitcher what I can do with my all steel injector. However, I'm sure I can get it worked out.

By the way, I think this is where the stock Sit n Drag fails. I may just build that up in a few places and send it to G2 to assess vs a raw SnD to see if it fixes 75% of the comfort issue.
Yea, if we keep trying, we'll come up with something better I'm sure.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
Here we are...

Here you can see that the center seat belt would be the only strap engaging your bottom. I may be wrong about how much "slack" I have here. This is because I need to stiffen this shell so that it presses the outer seat belts away. This will tighten them in relation to the center. Hopefully (doubtfully) they will get into the right plane to hold me.

297ed720426b850970f6c8733434e196.jpg

Here is one of the ends. It now has webbing on both sides of the seat belt. This still does nothing. But I will hammer thread in the webbing where there is no seatbelt. This will force the seatbelt to stay apart.

2faf67178ceb10199494fe758aa67e54.jpg

Last edited:

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Sitter!!! For sure.

I think you want the get it so that there is more pressure coming from the top and bottom webbing, with the middle one just providing a little extra support to help distribute the load.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
I think you want the get it so that there is more pressure coming from the top and bottom webbing, with the middle one just providing a little extra support to help distribute the load.

Yes. that is the plan. Which is why right now it looks so wrong. They will be even with the middle. But they will have folds in the stitching that should let it 'bend' so that the middle is just keeping you from sliding out.

Like I said, I may have gone too far. But I know exactly what you mean and it is where I want to get to. That is why I am carefully detailing out this part. Because it is so counter-intuitive. Maybe they need to start even and then I stretch the outside. But we'll get there.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
This is the functionality I am trying to replicate.

Ken Sling has a win because of this point of separation.
05fb751ca942825eb1d9ccd7df394cb8.jpg

Anderson and Big Buck achieve a similar functionality like this.

df7f784eda0f6b0f4fdc3768ed00f86b.jpg

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
This is my goal. I'm probably doing it completely wrong. But I think it is what makes these saddles work for me. I keep saying I come back to them....

So this is how I will replicate that functionality with less weight.

The random stitches are there for rigidity. Won't look pretty but serve their purpose. I even took my time on the last S just so you know I can!

2c96cb2841a07b5ea518be01cffb8338.jpg

Last edited:

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
Yeah. I'm with you as far as the thought process behind this. I'm still trying to get one "just right"though.
13f41f46cb6a04fd9041d15d278a10f4.jpg
00969b3cc66669fe7538d2262ab343e6.jpg

This is one that I made early this past spring/summer. Since then, I've added another length of webbing to the center for a total of three. in these pics it worked well, but it only had two main supports and my rear end kept wedging the top and bottom supports apart.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Yeah. I'm with you as far as the thought process behind this. I'm still trying to get one "just right"though.
13f41f46cb6a04fd9041d15d278a10f4.jpg
00969b3cc66669fe7538d2262ab343e6.jpg

This is one that I made early this past spring/summer. Since then, I've added another length of webbing to the center for a total of three. in these pics it worked well, but it only had two main supports and my rear end kept wedging the top and bottom supports apart.
Thanks for the booty shot Shaun. We really needed that.... :eek:

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
So this is how I will replicate that functionality with less weight.

You referred to the anderson/bb sling too. You can't be trying to save weight on them right? I'm assuming you're taking the good concepts from them and trying to combine that with the kenn sling for a lighter version?

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
You referred to the anderson/bb sling too. You can't be trying to save weight on them right? I'm assuming you're taking the good concepts from them and trying to combine that with the kenn sling for a lighter version?

It actually will be lighter than them. Not my goal, really. I just wanted to replicate the Ken Sling in a mock up to see if I can capture 'the essence'. Then play around with the mock up.

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
In the interest of advancing concepts, I wont give any input to redirect your ideas. I evny you guys who have sewing machines, or take the time to do this via sewing awl.
I used paper. :(