• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modified Jim Step / Cranford Platform.

sir_tob

Well guys, this is going to be my platform for this year. I'm basically using a Jim Step as my boat over center buckle. Added 4 Cranford Rope style steps

Modifications: I modified the cranford's by sharpening the 'wings' so they dig a little more into the bark when stepped on. I may cut teeth into them if what I've done isn't sufficient. I also removed the Jim Step rope and replaced it with one of the cranford ropes. The Cranford rope looks like some sort of dyneema or spectra fiber or similar and it stretches less allowing me to get the steps tighter.

Install is pretty fast, I think I'll get better as I practice some more, but swing around the tree, secure rope on other side of JimStep, adjust for tightness, and rotate down.

The only thing I am not sure if I like is the Jim Step top is 2-3 inches above the cranfords. The JimStep bar is about an inch about the cranfords. But I do like the Jim Step, it acts like a mini platform since it's bigger than just one step. I'll keep you guys posted as I use it more. It's all steel so the steps won't fail. I may find some Ameristeps or Aluminum steps for next year to make it a little lighter.. Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 10.15.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-16 at 10.16.29 AM.png

I think its pretty clever. Let us know how it works out.

Sir Tob just joined the site and he's already DIY'ing. LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for posting.

What if you merged a platform (like an XOP seat or old LW seat) with an oversized Stepp? Weld 2 contact points to the back of the platform like the top of the Stepp. Then weld a longer "V" to the front bottom of the platform to make the "V" of the Stepp? Clear as mud?

LOL... ummm yeahhhhh, I'm going to need you to work this saturday to get in those TPS reports in and draw this up ;-)

I think a LW could be fastened via some mechanical means just to the top of the Stepp and it would be 'one and done'. I still might look for some ameristeps to replace the cranfords though... If I make one wrong move the it's steel on steel and my cover is blown. LOL.

I'm not new to DIY.. I have an online fishing education biz on the gulf coast and I just finished prototyping a fishing lure... and the mold is getting made.. there was a ton of DIY to get that thing done.. some of it on the cheap a lot of it not. I'll try to contribute where I can. Thanks G2.

Nice job. I just picked up some Jim stepps and should be getting a few ameristeps on Wednesday. Why kind of lure did you make for the gulf coast? Wish I was back in PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, if they weren't so expensive, I'd grab a set. One or two of them would make a great replacement for a platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job. I just picked up some Jim stepps and should be getting a few ameristeps on Wednesday. Why kind of lure did you make for the gulf coast? Wish I was back in PC.

Ha, I hijacked my own thread. Its a soft plastic walk the dog designed to be rigged weedless for fishing shallow saltwater sea grass or shallow oyster for spotted sea trout and red drum. Can also be skipped under docks and mangroves very well for snook. There may be some Walleye possibility as well since many of the larger ones can be caught in shallow grassy coves during the heat of the summer. It does catch bass. It cast really well.. like a bullet. I went to Okeechobee and caught some nice fish.. no monsters.. it's not designed for that but it worked. I've caught some 28 and 29 in sea trout, tons of red drum, a snook, and bass up to about 5lbs. The fishing lure market is flooded.. it may very well be a very expensive yet fulfilling endevour,.. and there's always a niche to fill.. That's what I tried to do.

I might have an extra Jim Stepp, but I'm leaving to Mn tomorrow.. so I guess I'll have a couple available next year. They are steel.. Could probably just weld some expanded metal to the top of it leaving room for the stepp knot to be tied.. voila, mini platform.

Back