• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modifying Hawk Heliums

elk yinzer

SH Member
Put together a quick video on how to cut down the Helium sticks. It seems it’s a constant FAQ and I felt there was room for another how-to in addition to DaveT’s explanation.

As I explain in the video I don’t bust out the tools and do handyman 101, because if you can’t figure this out with some light suggestions, I don’t think you should be taking on the risk of such a DIY project. It’s really simple. But I think it covers the basics amply.

Also talk about a better way to stack them so you don’t have to offset or countersink anything.

Excuse the lack of production quality and my mess of a workspace.

Put together a quick video on how to cut down the Helium sticks. It seems it’s a constant FAQ and I felt there was room for another how-to in addition to DaveT’s explanation.

As I explain in the video I don’t bust out the tools and do handyman 101, because if you can’t figure this out with some light suggestions, I don’t think you should be taking on the risk of such a DIY project. It’s really simple. But I think it covers the basics amply.

Also talk about a better way to stack them so you don’t have to offset or countersink anything.

Excuse the lack of production quality and my mess of a workspace.

I think the way you drilled them out is better than a drill press. I have a drill press and using a vice and a cut off looks like a better way to drill the holes. Thanks for another great idea. I like how you pack 4 sticks too.

32 years... I’ve never heard, “yinz”. I had to look it up to see what the deal is.

Just watched both, videos. Really liking modified heliums!!!! Still trying to improve my stepp game. Sticks seem so much easier to me! I have lonewolfs & have always wanted a double step. For $99 seems like a steal......thanks for the videos

Great job, but by cutting down the sticks don't you sacrifice climbing height?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great job, but by cutting down the sticks don't you sacrifice climbing height?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, what you cut off literally. 7.5 inches per stick for me. So about two feet for three sticks.

The improved packability and maneuverability while climbing the tree are worth it to me.

I changed my aider configuration to get the same height. I can hit 20 feet with 3 sticks. 15 feet is enough most of my hunts.

The cutdown version is basically a lighter, more packable Muddy Pro. Without the boat cleat.

Screenshot_20180805-224233_Gallery.jpg
Save this per stick.

Because I also do the rope mod, and rope choice, can be a hard comparison. I am at mid 2 lbs per stick with a heavier 7mm rope.

@elk yinzer, it seems that when you make your cut, you do so in a way that allows you to still keep a 1.5-2 inch spacing between your relocated tree bracket screw and your relocated step screws whereas, it looks like @DaveT1963 has his relocated tree bracket screw directly underneath his relocated tree step screws (maybe 1/4-1/2" spacing).

Looks like Dave puts all 3 screws within the same (large) gap wheres you put your step screws in the larger gap and your tree bracket screw below in a separate smaller gap.

Any advantage or disadvantage to either way?

@elk yinzer, it seems that when you make your cut, you do so in a way that allows you to still keep a 1.5-2 inch spacing between your relocated tree bracket screw and your relocated step screws whereas, it looks like @DaveT1963 has his relocated tree bracket screw directly underneath his relocated tree step screws (maybe 1/4-1/2" spacing).

Looks like Dave puts all 3 screws within the same (large) gap wheres you put your step screws in the larger gap and your tree bracket screw below in a separate smaller gap.

Any advantage or disadvantage to either way?

I leave the gap so I can stack them as compact as possible. With the gap, the offset slides in there and two sticks facing each other stack together really nicely with no concerns about staggering or countersinking versa buttons. Dave's way makes them shorter but takes out the possibility of stacking them as such.

For me it was a gamechanger packing them that way and why I had to chuckle a little when people heralded Infalt's sticks as compact as these; the numbers dont't lie, they come nowhere close to these dimensionally, but individual preferences will vary.

Screenshot_20180810-152959_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180810-153036_Gallery.jpg

Is it feasible to cut them even shorter? Between 17-20" maybe?

Is it feasible to cut them even shorter? Between 17-20" maybe?

I think one of the cut points puts them at 19.5

U can also cut them pretty much in half

Just find a good spot to cut that leaves u space for hardware

There are quite a bit of length options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back