• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Molle chest rigs

woods89

Nov 13, 2014
Well I'm starting to get the itch to hang in a tree again so being season is aways off yet, I've been thinking about my gear system. Two issues for me have been (1) the ubiquitous platform question (2) how to best carry my gear in and keep it organized in the tree.
I was looking at molle chest rigs on amazon today. They are basically a minimalistic vest with molle webbing on the chest area and upper back. I've been thinking about one with a hydration bladder carrier in back and a couple smaller pouches in front. You could even weave some shock cord through the webbing on the bladder carrier for securing clothing and the like.
Am I nuts? Anybody had a little more experience with these things?

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al
I tried that route, wasn't too bad. I liked that I could choose which size pouch I wanted and where to locate it but the down fall was many molle pouches had velcro tops and it was hard to find button tops and even harder to find zipper tops. Another down fall was that the pouches, no matter how small were still bulky by design and had many places for a bow string to catch. I ended up going back to my primos bow hunters vest where the outer shell was flat and zippered. Then decided to just go back to a small backpack because even though it was easer to access things with the vest, I wanted the gear off of me, giving me more ease of motion.
Molle vest wouldn't be bad for gun hunting.

woods89

Nov 13, 2014
K thanks! I've been wondering about some of those same things. Might just stick with a small pack and some pouches on my saddle.

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014
I'd like to find s waist pack that I can wrap around the tree at height that would have spots on the belt to attach a bow hangar and small hooks on either the front or bottom to hang stuff from. Or maybe it would be a sling style that would go over the shoulder as long as it wi do double duty in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I think Matty is using a modified turkey vest or something similar to what you are talking about rather than a pack.