• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Molle Frame

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
See this thread for what lead to the purchase of the molle frame: http://saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212

My molle frame came in the mail today. This thing is pretty awesome. I'm only starting to think of the things I can do with this. With just the shoulder straps and waist strap, the weight isn't bad either at 5 lbs. I strapped on my climbing sticks to the frame and it should work pretty good. It will work as is, but I may end up fixing up something to sit in the frame to keep the sticks a little further off my back because I do occasionally bump them while walking. I'm going to use it for now and see. When I put the thing on with the sticks strapped to it, it really feels like I'm barely carrying anything on my back.

Next I'm going to look into some molle pouches. How is the material on the pouches? Is it noisey?

Yes, I know that I don't have the shoulder straps on completely correct. The kit was missing one buckle so I am using it like that for now.

Here are a couple pics:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209759.337667.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209759.337667.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 616
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209773.802642.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209773.802642.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 614
SWEET!

Glad you like it.

The pouches are all made from the same material as the shoulder straps and waist belt (might be varying grades of cordura). Obviously not as quiet as something like fleece, but not bad either. I wouldn't consider them "noisy" in my opinion.

Depending on what pouch, the closures range from snaps, to fastex buckles, zippers and draw cinch cords. All pretty silent as well. No noisy velcro that I can think of. One good thing about Military gear is it's usually pretty well thought-out and made to be at least somewhat stealthy since our US Service Members lives depend on it in combat situations.

Once you get the buckles to replace the missing ones, you'll be able to connect the load lifter straps too. Those cinch the weight in tight to your body and make it even less noticeable.

One thing to keep in mind with the pouches is, you currently don't have anything to attach the molle pouches to (like the PALS on most main packs, etc). Unless you figure out a way to attach them directly to the frame, which might be possible. Either way, you seem very crafty, so you will figure out something.

As for setting the sticks further off the frame, two options I can think of immediately. Either you utilize the space needed by making a pack for clothes, tools, or even your saddle, etc that fits between the frame and climbing sticks which helps set them further back...

OR use something lightweight and make dead space. Perhaps two light blocks of foam that are attached to the frame near the top and bottom to set them off the back a bit more. (dense foam with webbing fed through would work without being as permanent as glue)....Just don't set them too far back. The further back the weight goes, the more you feel it. You always want the heaviest gear as tight in to the body and up near the shoulders as possible. (not that this stuff is all that heavy, but might as well be as comfortable as possible)

Good luck with the new setup!

Thanks for the great advice Matt.

I was also thinking about doing exactly what you said with the foam. I would just try to get it an inch or 2 further out to give me a little more clearance, definitely want to keep it as tight to my back as possible. Originally I was thinking about attaching the molle pouches to the sides of the frame somehow. I'm sure I could rig something up. But now that you mention putting some sort of pack in there to get the sticks off I am going to have to think about that. Even if I have a couple molle pouches that permanently live on the frame and they hold the stuff that always comes in with me, that might work. I'm gonna think it over a bit more. I am going hunting down in Freehold with my father this weekend and there is an army navy store right by there house so I'm gonna stop in and see what they have and see if I get inspired. Maybe I can get a buckle there too.

No problem man.

One thing I love about this site is we all seem to be a different breed of hunter. A little nuttier but far more creative than the masses. Most people follow the leader and never think outside the box. Not this group of characters.....lol....I love reading other peoples ideas and have no problem sharing mine with people open enough to consider them.

As far as making a pack for your setup....I'm thinking you can do both the pack and the foam. Might be the best option (if you need a pack)

Sew up a custom pack that fits your needs and has zippers on the side(s) so you can access it even with the sticks strapped on. We'll call this the E-PAP (elongated personal accessory pack) since everything needs a cool name.

Then attach the CSCP- (Cimbing Stick Clearance Pads) above and below the pack .

Another option since you're not just a so-so sewer and you sew so well....lol....is that you can make a "molle pals panel" (they might even sell them...but basically just a panel of fabric covered in PALS loops that attaches to the frame, so you can utilize molle pouches more easily.

Good luck hunting with your dad. :)

Matty said:
One thing I love about this site is we all seem to be a different breed of hunter. A little nuttier but far more creative than the masses. Most people follow the leader and never think outside the box. Not this group of characters.....lol....I love reading other peoples ideas and have no problem sharing mine with people open enough to consider them.

You are right about that! I am so happy to see the site developing like this, it was exactly what I hoped for. I knew that it was never going to be a place for the masses to come, but I wanted to fill a void for people like us! :D

Matty said:
No problem man.
As far as making a pack for your setup....I'm thinking you can do both the pack and the foam. Might be the best option (if you need a pack)

Sew up a custom pack that fits your needs and has zippers on the side(s) so you can access it even with the sticks strapped on. We'll call this the E-PAP (elongated personal accessory pack) since everything needs a cool name.

Then attach the CSCP- (Cimbing Stick Clearance Pads) above and below the pack .

Another option since you're not just a so-so sewer and you sew so well....lol....is that you can make a "molle pals panel" (they might even sell them...but basically just a panel of fabric covered in PALS loops that attaches to the frame, so you can utilize molle pouches more easily.

Good luck hunting with your dad. :)

I couldn't even get through this without cracking up. We are going to need to create a dictionary for all these cool names!

I'm going to look into all of those ideas. I'll take a look at some stuff at the army/navy store and look for some more inspiration. Right now I feel like I have this frame and the possibilities are endless!

Do you have any thoughts on a foam that might work? I have some leftover rigid foam from my deer cooler project, but it is not sturdy enough and I don't know how I could reinforce it well.

Thanks! I'm do hunting there this weekend, then next weekend my buddy is coming up the the water gap with me. I'm looking into a NY license for the last 2 weekends of oct. and a few weekdays so I can get after another buck.

Coleman used to make the peak one backpack. I've still got one. The pack slides of the plastic frame revealing a slotted frame you can attach items to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
Coleman used to make the peak one backpack. I've still got one. The pack slides of the plastic frame revealing a slotted frame you can attach items to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked on ebay.. a couple of them were posted with "vintage"! lol.

Matt,

I took the molle frame out for the first run tonight. Didn't see anything but the frame worked great. i don't think the clearance and it bumping me will be as much as a problem as I thought. I guess trying it out in mesh shorts on my driveway is a bit different than hunting gear?!?! LOL. When I put the pack on the one part that was hitting my butt was just hitting my saddle and I didn't even notice it until I thought to check for it. The biggest improvement I need to make is attaching some pouches to it to carry gear. Hopefully the army/navy store will take care of that.

Depending on what you need to carry, you'll probably be able to line the edges with something like sustainment pouches, canteen, dump, etc...There are so many to choose from it's not even funny.

Personally I prefer having lots of small pouches/pockets so there is a place for everything. It keeps things organized. Instead of digging through gear in big pouches or packs, each item has it's own little spot and it always returns to that spot.

Exceptions are made for stuff like game care items or food. For that you can have one pack that holds your knife, deer drag, game bags, whatever....another one that holds lunch. I don't carry much either though, so it's not like I have 400 pockets and pouches. lol

One thing I don't think I've mentioned yet is hydration. I actually carry a camelbak at all times (attached inside my modified turkey vest). Lyme disease has kicked my butt for years, and staying extremely well hydrated is the only way I can function without all of my joints stiffening like a dead body. So I always take the camelbak. It's quieter and easier than water bottles and allows me to drink up to 100oz of water in a day (which is less than the usual gallon or more, but better than getting dehydrated).

Just something I'd mention so you can consider it for long hikes or hunts.

I'm excited to see this MF'ER come together (Molle Frame Equipment Rack) lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matty said:
Depending on what you need to carry, you'll probably be able to line the edges with something like sustainment pouches, canteen, dump, etc...There are so many to choose from it's not even funny.

Personally I prefer having lots of small pouches/pockets so there is a place for everything. It keeps things organized. Instead of digging through gear in big pouches or packs, each item has it's own little spot and it always returns to that spot.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. We'll see how tomorrows trip to the army/navy store works out!

Matty said:
One thing I don't think I've mentioned yet is hydration. I actually carry a camelbak at all times (attached inside my modified turkey vest). Lyme disease has kicked my butt for years, and staying extremely well hydrated is the only way I can function without all of my joints stiffening like a dead body. So I always take the camelbak. It's quieter and easier than water bottles and allows me to drink up to 100oz of water in a day (which is less than the usual gallon or more, but better than getting dehydrated).

Just something I'd mention so you can consider it for long hikes or hunts.

First, sorry to hear about the lyme disease. That blows... I feel very fortunate that I have never picked lyme disease up considering how many ticks I have been bitten by. I will look into building a camelbak into this thing. Go big or go home! lol

Matty said:
I'm excited to see this MF'ER come together (Molle Frame Equipment Rack) lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
BEST COOL NAME YET!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the Foam liner material, go to a big insulation supply house.
There are sheets of very dense foam rubber used for air conditioning etc..

I used to it to line cases for music gear.
Strong and held up to years of constant use.

justsomedude said:
For the Foam liner material, go to a big insulation supply house.
There are sheets of very dense foam rubber used for air conditioning etc..

I used to it to line cases for music gear.
Strong and held up to years of constant use.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Got any links similar to what I would be looking for?

I'm not even sure if I need it right now. I'm gonna hold off and see how it works.

These are some ideas I'm thinking about with the bags I picked up. I'm going to test some stuff with them before I start sewing more straps and finalize them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412788523.071552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412788523.071552.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 244
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412788539.941257.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412788539.941257.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 246
Also used some bungee cords to strap the bow on for the hike.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412959758.635465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412959758.635465.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 223
Back