• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

MR PopUp28 Pack Review -1st Hunt

ingramjri

Well folks...I've been on my first hunt with the MR Pop Up 28 and I am pretty happy with the initial performance. For reference on my general set up, I'm using the Mantis /predator this year and three unmodified helium sticks with a single step aider on each. Here are my thoughts in a few performance areas...
  1. Cargo Space - I hike in with my kill kit, a small meal (sandwich and apple), saddle, and leafy suit in the pack (in case it makes more sense to sit the ground), and there would still be plenty of room for other clothing (I was able to barely squeeze five wild edge steps in, just as a test). The predator fits very nicely and locks down tight in the load shelf. My estimate is that I would be able to pack layers through most of November but, come December, I will likely be affixing my cold weather clothing to the outside of the pack (which is fine by me). Some folks hike with their saddle on, so if you do that you will free up a fair amount of space. I just find saddle hiking to be awfully uncomfortable.
  2. Outside Pocket and Top Lid - I keep two headlamps and a small but mighty flash light for tracking in the outside pocket. Still tons of room. I could probably move my kill kit and dinner to free space on the main vestibule. The top lid has mesh lining that I like and haven't filled up. I'll store my grunt rube and such in there when the time is right.
  3. Stick Storage - There are two compression straps that lock my sticks down pretty firmly. I added two large Nite Ize gear ties to loop at the top of the pack and the MOLLE webbing at the bottom to further secure the sticks; they are locked down tight and quit. I'm pretty happy with this feature.
  4. Comfort - The pack walks pretty well. The hip belt is heavy duty, which is nice when the sticks are locked down, but they are a bit stiff and awkward and get in the way when the pack is hanging in the tree...But that can easily be managed so not a huge negative. The shoulder straps can sort of "kink", for lack of a better word, with the sticks strapped on, so I have to fiddle with them a bit. But that is also manageable and not a huge negative.
  5. Water Bottle pockets - These are pretty well useless for holding water bottles...its almost like they are made to eject your water bottle at mach 2 at the most inappropriate time. So...I have to put my Nalgene in the pack, which is a negative to me. Maybe its the cut of the pocket and the fact that you can't cinch them down (no shock cord). This feature has elevated my blood pressure. But I keep one extra aider in there, just in case, and a screw in step, just in case. They hold fine since they are below the pocket line.
  6. Noise - The fabric of the pack is pretty dang durable, but it also a bit loud under brush. That's just the price for durability, I think...not ideal, but it's manageable.
  7. Meat Hauling Frame - Haven't had the chance to use this one yet, but plan to give it a try. I'll post an update when that occurs.
Overall, I'm happy I made the purchase. It's a good size pack, without being too big and I am able to lock down my sticks in a comfortable place while still maintaining some capacity to pack a few things in the vestibule.

Thanks for the information! This pack has been on my radar, but I've already more than blown the hunting budget for this year. I'm curious if MR will come out with a slightly larger (32-35) size in the future. That might be nice for bulkier winter layer storage.

Back