• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy pro sticks pros and cons?

Based on the one set I have and limited personal experience with climbing sticks overall

Pros:
Uses a rope\no mod required
Double steps

Cons:
Quality varies
Cost
Achievable hunting height with 4 sticks

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with nine which are the 2018 releases. I'd like a little less play in the steps, but that may be the price you pay for a folding step. I'm thinking about adding a single step aider to mine to try to get a few more feet of hunting height as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Additional Pro: great for 1-stick climbing

See @Cain video

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had muddy pros & but did not keep them. I was fortunate the original (3) & got were not recalls & functioned well. I bought one more & it felt like some kinda knock off most of the hardware needed replaced & it just wasn’t the same manufacturing quality. The company customer service was atrocious!!! I sold them b/c they were clunky & heavy, but the inconsistency b/w products & customer service was the tipping point for them never getting a good review from me .

I love mine for a top step when saddle hunting. But i have a platform now.The originals stacked well. i switched to lone wolf for mobility. I have to change out the ropes this year..so i still use them on presets. I am also going to try an aider with them. I have 9. If i can use 2-3 for getting to hight. All the better.

Thanks for the help guys! I have a chance to pick up 4 pretty cheap. Trying to figure out if it’s worth it or just modify the new LW stick I have.

Got some muddy pros, I really like em.. I will bring them with me so you can check them out when I pickup the platform from you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I love them. I think they were the best production stick out there. Then the quality fell through. I have had 4 sets. They go through the brush better than any stick made. I carry 3 with aiders and hunt 25’ plus on most setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only negative I found was weight

Most were coming on at or slightly above 3lbs each

Many guys had between 12lb-13lb for a set a four

Are the specs on the website off? Say's one stick is 2.5 lbs. I'm assuming that includes the rope since it can't really be used without it.

https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-pro-climbing-sticks/#description

Most stands and sticks are weighed without the straps or ropes

Sketchy dishonest advertising

Many tree stands are pound or two heavier than advertised

I’ve never heard of a muddy pro stick with rope that weighed 2.5lb

I'm content with mine, 2 sets. I don't see myself ever needing both sets if I use aiders. But I like having a few more ready to go just in case.

Con: Seem to be over-priced compared to LW's and Hawks, but I was in too much of a hurry (paid $200 TYD for one set new, and $220 TYD for a used set).
Con: The used set makes a lot of squeaking noise when I step on them, but the dude that sold me them didn't warn me, I see he bought another set from someone else, so its possible he messed with them, screwed them up, and unloaded them on me.
Pro: The the new set is perfectly silent.
Pro: rope/cleat design is great, i love it. Fast, easy, secure
Pro: Stack fine and tight with the supplied strap.
Pro: Double steps. That's most important to me for the top of the stick. If something gies "weird" as you are standing at the top if the stick (imagine that...) I really like having the extra room for a foothold that you get with a double step.
Neutral: Mine weight 2.8lb each with the ropes. Not sure if that's "good" or "bad".
Neutral: Some may prefer the folding steps (which mine have) are important, I see it as a non-issue, I've been packing them around with the steps open, through thisck stuff and have no real issue. I'd go with fixed steps if it would save significant weight.
Neutral: will have to paint 'em.
Neutral: I think the moveable standoffs is kinda gimmicky, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
One con with my Muddy is that the steps pivot from side to side just enough to be freaky when shifting my weight on them. It almost looks like there is too much room around the stick creating some play. Anyone try filling these gaps with something le Stealth Strips?

One con with my Muddy is that the steps pivot from side to side just enough to be freaky when shifting my weight on them. It almost looks like there is too much room around the stick creating some play. Anyone try filling these gaps with something le Stealth Strips?

Be curious to see if anyone has a fix for that. It's my only real issue with them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They are supposed to do that, that’s the gimmick I mentioned. As I recall, it was at one time listed as a “feature” in the web product description? Not there anymore...

They are supposed to do that, that’s the gimmick I mentioned. As I recall, it was at one time listed as a “feature” in the web product description? Not there anymore...
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I don't mind the standoffs moving. What freaks me is that the steps see-saw back and forth about 1/8 of an inch or so.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I don't mind the standoffs moving. What freaks me is that the steps see-saw back and forth about 1/8 of an inch or so.

Me too, tightening up the bolts helps with this, but it needs to be done way too frequently, IMO.

Back