• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My October 18 2012 Buck Mount

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Just got my 2012 buck mount back a few weeks ago. They guy we use is one of the best in our state but he has a long wait time. I'm not in a rush because it will last a lifetime and it looks great.

Killed from a saddle the night before a huge front moved through. I was unable to pick up the bloodtrail in the dark and I ended up calling in a blood tracking dog the next day because we had over 3 inches of rain between the time I shot him and when I went out to look for him. I hit him through the top of both lungs and he only went 100 yards but it was into a thick swamp. I'm glad I called the dog in. We would have found him but it was awesome to see the dog pick up the trail right away and go straight to him, especially after all of that rain.

13135067264_dd0e0c0dbb.jpg

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Saddle Assassin said:
Nice deer, that just goes to show you no matter what you do a dog and deer can still smell good, who is your taxidermist

You're absolutely right, they know you've been there.

Carl Osterlunds, http://www.allgametaxidermy.com

He also did my dad's 2011 buck. A 13 pointer, 157 1/8. Third biggest deer in NJ that year. Here is a pic of the deer, I'll have to take a pic of the mount next time I visit him.

13137663395_416034fcda.jpg

Hunt of a lifetime. I tagged out the week before so I was just trying to shoot a doe. We went to another spot and there was a guy in a climber there. So I said, Dad, I've been seeing bucks where i shot mine, why don't we go there. I'll shoot a doe, you shoot a buck. I put a stand up for him and hung in my saddle above him. As he's pulling his crossbow up a couple does come out and spot us. It's only 1:00. A half hour later I look behind us and just see this monster coming through the woods, and whisper down to him, dad here he comes, its a monster. The deer comes close to us and stops and I'm just trying to not even breathe cause I don't wanna spook it. All of a sudden I hear crunch crunch and I see the deer step into view, my dad goes bahh, the deer stops, he lets it fly and the deer drops cause he spined it. After a finishing shot we sat up there and couldn't believe it. That is the first time we have hunted in the same tree in probably 18 years. It is one of my most cherished hunting memories and I'm sure it always will be. :D

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Thanks guys! Definitely something I will never forget! :D