• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Son Connected!!!

Seekbigger

SH Member
So long story, short as I can! I landed a new farm last year to hunt right at the tale end of season! I went in and scouted for about a hour, set up and killed a doe, went back two evenings later and killed a decent buck and a doe the same set! We needed freezer meat and though this buck was not the deer I would typically shoot, my wife said shoot something, we need meat, lol! So this year I done some heavy e-scouting and the place that I killed those deer I believe is the best spot of the farm! I help my son hang a stand at this pinch point, last week he shot a nice buck, hit him high and could not recover him, then he shot a doe, great shot on her and found her easy! So yesterday afternoon we went in together for a hunt, I set him in the best place again, I saw two bucks chasing does and a coyote chasing the bucks, right on their tails! Thought that was unusual for sure! Anyways at 4:15 my son calls and said he had grunted a buck right under his tree and had to take a pretty steep shot angle down but got good penetration and heard him crash! I was gonna finish my evening set but about a hour later, knowing he was really discouraged from loosing the other buck I climbed down and went to him before it got too dark! The buck was recovered in about 60 yards and what a nice buck! My sons confidence is building again and The Lord has truly blessed us! Thanks for reading and God Bless!IMG_1627.jpeg

So long story, short as I can! I landed a new farm last year to hunt right at the tale end of season! I went in and scouted for about a hour, set up and killed a doe, went back two evenings later and killed a decent buck and a doe the same set! We needed freezer meat and though this buck was not the deer I would typically shoot, my wife said shoot something, we need meat, lol! So this year I done some heavy e-scouting and the place that I killed those deer I believe is the best spot of the farm! I help my son hang a stand at this pinch point, last week he shot a nice buck, hit him high and could not recover him, then he shot a doe, great shot on her and found her easy! So yesterday afternoon we went in together for a hunt, I set him in the best place again, I saw two bucks chasing does and a coyote chasing the bucks, right on their tails! Thought that was unusual for sure! Anyways at 4:15 my son calls and said he had grunted a buck right under his tree and had to take a pretty steep shot angle down but got good penetration and heard him crash! I was gonna finish my evening set but about a hour later, knowing he was really discouraged from loosing the other buck I climbed down and went to him before it got too dark! The buck was recovered in about 60 yards and what a nice buck! My sons confidence is building again and The Lord has truly blessed us! Thanks for reading and God Bless!View attachment 94836
Stud! And the buck is great too.
In all seriousness, I can’t decide which headgear is cooler, the antlers or the sideburns :sunglasses:.
Congrats!

Heck of a nice deer! Tell him congratulations and way ti get back on the horse. Most of us have been there, it’s tough but glad he stuck with it.

So long story, short as I can! I landed a new farm last year to hunt right at the tale end of season! I went in and scouted for about a hour, set up and killed a doe, went back two evenings later and killed a decent buck and a doe the same set! We needed freezer meat and though this buck was not the deer I would typically shoot, my wife said shoot something, we need meat, lol! So this year I done some heavy e-scouting and the place that I killed those deer I believe is the best spot of the farm! I help my son hang a stand at this pinch point, last week he shot a nice buck, hit him high and could not recover him, then he shot a doe, great shot on her and found her easy! So yesterday afternoon we went in together for a hunt, I set him in the best place again, I saw two bucks chasing does and a coyote chasing the bucks, right on their tails! Thought that was unusual for sure! Anyways at 4:15 my son calls and said he had grunted a buck right under his tree and had to take a pretty steep shot angle down but got good penetration and heard him crash! I was gonna finish my evening set but about a hour later, knowing he was really discouraged from loosing the other buck I climbed down and went to him before it got too dark! The buck was recovered in about 60 yards and what a nice buck! My sons confidence is building again and The Lord has truly blessed us! Thanks for reading and God Bless!View attachment 94836

Great buck, that's easily Pope and Young if he wants to get it scored and meets the other requirements. Congrats!

Great buck, that's easily Pope and Young if he wants to get it scored and meets the other requirements. Congrats!
Yes I will enter it for him, soon as I get him back from taxidermist! The buck he killed last year made Buckmasters but was 3” short of the the 125 mark for Pope&Young. This one will go over the 125 mark so I will get him entered!

Yes I will enter it for him, soon as I get him back from taxidermist! The buck he killed last year made Buckmasters but was 3” short of the the 125 mark for Pope&Young. This one will go over the 125 mark so I will get him entered!

Be careful, I was told by a taxidermist that they won't score it once it has been mounted because the spread width could have been manipulated by the taxidermist (I guess the bone cap sawed in half and moved /angled ). Who knows if he's right, but something to check up on. My taxidermist has been at it for 30 years, so maybe this was true in the past but not now.

I have one with him I'm getting scored, and it takes him a year to mount things (best guy in area everyone goes to), so my plan is to get the antlers from him before he does the mount and have them scored then and then return them to him.

I just had two bucks scored by Dale Wedell that were already mounted, he is one of the most well known Pope&Young guys in my area. So shouldn’t be a problem I wouldn’t think! I could see how that could play a role in score though if the taxidermist didn’t do his due diligence and measure the spread before cutting the skull plate!

Congrats to your son! Nice deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back