• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need a little help with my platform

Mbm2191

So I'm out for my first actual sit ever in a saddle. Love it so far!!

Climb up went well. Even had to use the tether as a second lineman to get around a branch.

Got up to height set my Platform, cammed it over and it was solid. Stepped up onto the platform did the toe hook trick to further cam over; it was even more solid if that's possible. About an hour maybe hour and half I looked down and see the stand off from the platform pulling away from the tree a little.

Tried to toe hook it again couldn't get it any tighter. Any suggestions? Or insight if this is normal. I'm not feeling any looseness as I stand or shift my weight. I even walked myself around the platform side to side a few times, even to the extreme stretching as if I were making a shot.

Before anyone asks I'm a little husky, I weigh 245 using a predator xl with the provided cam strap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-072446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-072446_Gallery.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 85
sometimes it's just the way the tree has formed in those two points of contact.

sometimes it's just the way the tree has formed in those two points of contact.
I think you're right. I ending up dropping down to my top stick and re set the platform about 6 inches higher and it's totally fine now. Didn't realize it in the dark but I there was a little bit of a not from an old branch where I set the platform initially. Thanks for the response.

Those cam straps that come with those Predator platforms are known to stretch over time, mine does the same thing. Only thing you can really do is tighten the strap up after a few hours on stand and re-cam it. Maybe someone can give you a suggestion on a strap that doesn’t stretch quite as much.

Those cam straps that come with those Predator platforms are known to stretch over time, mine does the same thing. Only thing you can really do is tighten the strap up after a few hours on stand and re-cam it. Maybe someone can give you a suggestion on a strap that doesn’t stretch quite as much.

I have found that the Tethrd cam strap will not get my predator XL tight enough, so I use the amsteel USA ropes as a truckers hitch and love it. I had been doing the amsteel daisy chain truckers hitch, but the USA is much easier to feed the tag end through the prusik loop and pull tight, vs. a loop in the daisy chain (especially with gloves on). I use this method for my sticks (7/16 daisy chains) as well as platform (1/8 USA).

Using the truckers hitch you can get it so tight that the platform won't even cam over. I am 230 lbs, using a predator XL and it is rock solid.

If you search "Daisy chain truckers" you will find plenty of threads on it, including videos.

So I'm out for my first actual sit ever in a saddle. Love it so far!!

Climb up went well. Even had to use the tether as a second lineman to get around a branch.

Got up to height set my Platform, cammed it over and it was solid. Stepped up onto the platform did the toe hook trick to further cam over; it was even more solid if that's possible. About an hour maybe hour and half I looked down and see the stand off from the platform pulling away from the tree a little.

Tried to toe hook it again couldn't get it any tighter. Any suggestions? Or insight if this is normal. I'm not feeling any looseness as I stand or shift my weight. I even walked myself around the platform side to side a few times, even to the extreme stretching as if I were making a shot.

Before anyone asks I'm a little husky, I weigh 245 using a predator xl with the provided cam strap.

you're probably breaking in the strap....they stretch a bit just like leather shoes

if you want to get rid of that totally, then look up methods that use amsteel because it is stronger and also lower stretch

I have found that the Tethrd cam strap will not get my predator XL tight enough, so I use the amsteel USA ropes as a truckers hitch and love it. I had been doing the amsteel daisy chain truckers hitch, but the USA is much easier to feed the tag end through the prusik loop and pull tight, vs. a loop in the daisy chain (especially with gloves on). I use this method for my sticks (7/16 daisy chains) as well as platform (1/8 USA).

Using the truckers hitch you can get it so tight that the platform won't even cam over. I am 230 lbs, using a predator XL and it is rock solid.

If you search "Daisy chain truckers" you will find plenty of threads on it, including videos.

i'm using the amsteel daisy chain trucker's hitch also...and you're right that there is a sweet spot for tightness...that's probably the only downfall is that you have to learn how tight to make it or it won't fold down....folks shouldn't force it if it is way too tight or you could possibly break your stand (imagining a strong guy holding the tree and doing a squat to push it down and....snaps-ville on a cast platform)

the advantage a daisy chain might have is that you can also use it as a regular daisy chain (link over post) or use it as a rope mod also....or trucker's hitch.....3 in 1 deal if that matters to someone

Yeah, I have never really needed to toe hook my mission. That is one of the reasons I got rid of the preadator xl after I did the side by side comparison of the preadator xl and the mission. I couldn't get the predator to get any where near as close to rock solid as I could the mission.
Oh yeah 6'3" 250+. Size don't matter.

Last edited:
If it happens again just try un-camming it, step on the post to seat it and came it again. That’s another possibility.

Amsteel daisy chain. Truckers hitch. I use that on the same platform and it’s always rock solid.

Thank you all for your advice. All very helpful. I was able to reset it and it remained solid the rest of the day. I might look into other options.

I used the cam buckle strap last year on my mission platform and didn't have any issues but I started using a version of the USA deluxe with a swabisch in the middle and the hang free attachment system on the end (which is a prussic and tender in one) and it gets rock solid on the tree. Won't help much if there's a knot in the tree but just a different method

Those cam bockles suck.period wont ever use them they slide ever so slightly be for grabing and i swear they slip a little when wet.other cam buckles just dont .plus they are a little smaller

Back