• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need a solution for western ML hunt……

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
I posted this on a muzzleloader forum but I know you guys will have some outside the box ideas…… I put a western precision peep on my TC encore for an elk trip this fall. Was shooting this morning & thought “hope that front housing & peep don’t get bumped in the scabbard on the ride in” only thought about it b/c the other guy I’m going with had his come off his cva twice & has since jB welded it on. Mine feels secure but it is kinda hanging out there. Looks like this , front housing about diameter of a penny. Would love to get something 3d printed but came up with a few other ideas like some pvc pipe that could snap onto the barrel & the have a ribber strap or elastic IMG_2958.jpeg

How about a heavy duty black zip tie around the sight and barrel to help hold it in place.

Have you considered a scope and barrel cover? It would offer protection in the scabbard and also keep your barrel/scope clean when hunting... pretty quick and easy to remove.
efe8b12fee68438fe00b0f5a1195cc8f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I posted this on a muzzleloader forum but I know you guys will have some outside the box ideas…… I put a western precision peep on my TC encore for an elk trip this fall. Was shooting this morning & thought “hope that front housing & peep don’t get bumped in the scabbard on the ride in” only thought about it b/c the other guy I’m going with had his come off his cva twice & has since jB welded it on. Mine feels secure but it is kinda hanging out there. Looks like this , front housing about diameter of a penny. Would love to get something 3d printed but came up with a few other ideas like some pvc pipe that could snap onto the barrel & the have a ribber strap or elastic View attachment 86755
How close to the end of the barrel does the front housing sit? Any idea what the scabbard looks like it will be riding in? Any way to pack in in a case as opposed to a scabbard?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

How close to the end of the barrel does the front housing sit? Any idea what the scabbard looks like it will be riding in? Any way to pack in in a case as opposed to a scabbard?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It’s about an inch back from the end of the barrel. Not sure & probably won’t know until I get there. No go on the case….

A paint pen with lines from sight to barrel gives a good visual indicator that it hasn’t been moved. Also how feasible is a light weight plastic hard case to bring for the ride in?

I would suggest the Marsupial cover too. I have one and you can cinch the front down onto the barrel. Well made too.

Maybe a chunk of radiator hose or something similar with a DIY end cap affixed to it?

I'm sure you have something out in the garage that'll work?

cobble something from pool noodle/foam?

What a plastic front sight protector looks like. There's a few ways to make something similar. The nice thing about it being a muzzleloader is having the ramrod gives a second point of alignment (along with the barrel) so it won't rotate.

Also, Mausers used leather protectors for the rear sight. The thick saddle leather holds it's shape and is decent at it's job.

I'm sure with neoprene, foam, and some velcro straps something satisfactory could be fashioned. Soft foam might be enough, but you can practically machine Polyethylene foam blocks for precise fit and function. You could also make Polyethylene sheet foam sleeves and cut some zip tie or Velcro slots to secure them.

39F429A0-25BC-4974-B82A-6A3953FB75D0.jpeg

Last edited:
I would do something with thick leather or kydex, and a good case. And witness marks - use fingernail polish or a similar "tactical paint" so you can tell if it's been knocked loose. Do you have a second ML? If you're concerned about damaging your only rifle maybe a cheaper backup ML is in your future. I've got a TC Encore like yours, and it's my go-to, but I've also got an $80 beater ML that isn't as nice, but is there if I need it.

Back