• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New buddy to hang out with.

Whispers Death

My Barnett Vicious.jpg

I picked this up last week. I hunted with it this weekend.....came home and made a tether so it can hang on my left side. Tether goes across my bridge and attached to my right side lineman's loop with the carabiner. Worked out a prototype with a dyneema sling Saturday.

Let me know how this works after you hunt with it. I have been trying to figure out a way to hang my xbow so it is less awkward to pick up when a deer is approaching. This looks promising.

My dad rigged up a tactical sling so that it works for him.

Started with it hung on the tree. First by the stock then by the stirrup. Too much movement. Then I hung it on my left and hooked it to the left bridge ring. Not enough slack to shoulder it and it drug my harness a bit to the left. I got a four foot dyneema sling out and girthed it to the stock. Ran it across the front of me and down the right and clipped to my right side lineman's loop. Now when I pull it up, I have plenty of slack to shoot any direction and I can be hands free most of the time to glass or whatever.

Whispers Death-I may not see from your picture correctly,but it looks like you are fletching with a helical clamp?
If so you may have problems,you need a straight and zero to very little offset on fletching as the lower fletch has to ride in the slot down the rail.Any offset will cause contact (problem) with the rail groove and effect the arrow flight.
Just a heads up,as I may be wrong in viewing your photo.

Whispers Death-I may not see from your picture correctly,but it looks like you are fletching with a helical clamp?
If so you may have problems,you need a straight and zero to very little offset on fletching as the lower fletch has to ride in the slot down the rail.Any offset will cause contact (problem) with the rail groove and effect the arrow flight.
Just a heads up,as I may be wrong in viewing your photo.

Ding, ding...! Good eye.

You are right......they are helical. It's just a 2 inch fletch though. A 4 or 5 inch fletch with a one or two degree offset probably has a wider horizontal footprint. My Dad shot this exact configuration for several years (I made them) with big steel force 125 broad heads and they needed some spin. Never been a problem. I worked at an archery shop all through college and probably fletched 10,000 arrows.......every combination of feather and vane ever produced. I'll try to be careful.

If they are carbon bolts I sure would not use lacquer on them I would just use mild soap and water to clean them off before I fletch them. I worked at a bow shop for years and the only time I use lacquer was on aluminum arrows.

great idea on the bow strap, I made one up last night
looks like it will work to sling the bow over my shoulder walking with the kestrel on
semi works as a suspender also, helps to keep the saddle from working down.

One can also ook at

http://www.thecrossbowcaddy.com/

To see how some people are carrying their crosbow while walking.

I have not bought one, but am thinking about making one up for saddle and for transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent about 3 hours designing a backpack like harness to carry my crossbow. Ended up hating it. The stock configuration dug into my back and it wasn't working out so I scrapped it. This is a good idea..... Similar to a big single shot pistol scabbard I made. I will be making one of those next week.

Last edited:
Cool idea. I’m a huge archery nut, and really love everything about compound bows, but I really think a crossbow and a saddle make a very deadly combination. The fact that I can shoot right handed or left handed, with almost zero movement, is pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Back