• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from Buffalo NY

Bowtech12

so I’ve been researching saddle hunting fir the past few months and it has me more than interested based on a few factors. Currently I use an xop or lone wolf with sticks, also used a climber for years

I hunt hills and valleys and the weight of these things and the bulk of the stands aren’t the best

My main concern is the comfort and how well I could shoot from the saddle

Any input would be helpful

I’m looking at the Kestrel kit and I would use my lone wolf sticks to climb with as I’m good with those

I’m considering getting one of those brackets sold on here and using my XOP seat

Still it’s goi g to be a $400 dollar investment to get started so let me here some pros and cons?

Welcome from Arkansas. Super informative forum, with members really willing to help

There's a map on the site for finding other saddle hunters. Maybe find someone close, send a pm about trying theirs and take some practice shots.

I find it's comfortable to sit in but you have trade offs vs a climbing or hang on stand:
* You end up facing the tree a lot. Good camo, but you need to figure out how to shoot there and it takes practice nobody else can just answer. I'm now preferring skinnier trees than I used to feel good about in a climber.
* You'll end up regarding a good pair of knee pads as new friends. I never bothered with them in a metal stand.
* You can get into thick areas or gnarly trees that stands left inaccessible, depending on your platform and climbing method. But where you used to hang a stand and hunt it a few times, now you'll focus on having to set up your sticks in New places more often, quietly, etc.
* Your beer friends will not resist noticing it looks like a diaper. But you'll be lighter, more mobile and y'know, better than them now. :)

Welcome to the forum, If you come down state, I am in Middletown NY and you can try out my gear. Let me know if you plan on traveling anytime soon. Unfortunately I have no plans on traveling to buffalo.

Welcome to the forum, If you come down state, I am in Middletown NY and you can try out my gear. Let me know if you plan on traveling anytime soon. Unfortunately I have no plans on traveling to buffalo.
Hey

Let’s talk live

I’m not sure how to send a PM but shoot me you’re info
I’d like to ask a few questions before diving in $350 to get started

Welcome from Pa. Once you hunt in a saddle you'll never want to hunt any other way. As far as shooting you shouldn't have any trouble . I use lonewolf stick with aiders on them no problem with them either . Good luck.

Welcome to the site! I hunted from sticks & stand up until I got my kestrel late last year. Climbing is the same, so you got that going for ya. This whole setup is very minimalist compared to hang on, but I consider that a pro. You can cover some distance /terrain quietly in comfort, compared to a stand on your back. If you’ve been using a harness, then you won’t notice any weight difference with the saddle. Also you’re much safer, hooked up to the tree from ground to hunting height & back down. Not that you can’t do that with a lock on but it’s harder to transition on & off the platform w/lineman’s belt. You’re tether is under tension during the entirety of the hunt negating a fall rather than just being hooked up @ shoulder height & hoping you don’t fall. You can shoot any shooting lane around your tree & use the tree for cover as deer approach. As for cons ; a little bit of learning curve to get setup efficiently/comfortably. Certain hang ons (millennium) or big climbers are more comfortable than saddle, that being said I’m not uncomfortable in my kestrel during an all day sit. I will say this if you get one & it’s just not you’re thing it would sell easily for about what you’ve got in it, can’t really do that with a hang on.........

if you're in Auburn or Syracuse area you can try my Evo. Little bulkier than the kestrel, but it'll give you an idea of what you want.

Back