• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from VA

ARERHODES

Hey y'all, Ryan here from Middlesex co. Virginia. Stumbled across this forum while shopping for a set of helium sticks... and I'm hooked. Long time deer hunter here, just recently started bow hunting hard past two years. Hunted many years ago with a guy who used a saddle and I thought it was a great concept just never took it any further. I work for a local Fire dept. full time and have all of my rope rescue certifications for the state. I can see this becoming a slippery slope.... lol. After creeping around some of the threads I'm going to start putting together a rig. I really like the sitdrag concept, so I think I'm gonna start there. Got a set of helium sticks coming in tomorrow. Was prepping an order for the rest. I appreciate all the great threads and info y'all have shared on here. Hope I can add to it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome! I went to college in Lynchburg, VA. I wasn't allowed to have a rifle in my dorm room so I exclusively bow hunted for 4 years. Those 4 years lit a fire in me that has never gone out.

I'm also a big fan of the SitDrag. Check out the threads in my signature for some customization ideas.

Thanks G2, just ordered a SitDrag, and a RC harness, and some new black twist lock beaners. Going to order some rope and a ropeman today, treestuff.com most likely as I'm not close to any climbing stores. Going to mod my heliums when they get here today. Seen some cool options by red and DaveT, verse buttons otw. Still haven't settled on a platform.. I am leaning towards that XOP setup that DaveT is using with the XOP hardware . Didn't know if there was a "cheap" platform I could setup just to start getting used to hunting the saddle before I drop another Benjamin Franklin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't know if there was a "cheap" platform I could setup just to start getting used to hunting the saddle before I drop another Benjamin Franklin.

If you find that, let us all know...

The XOP/Assault platform can be had for under $100 I believe. It's easily my favorite platform and I've tried them all.

For a cheap/free alternative, I'd use the top of your helium stick (it has a dual top step, right?) as the base of your platform. Add a couple screw-in or strap-on steps (1 on each side) and you should be good to go. This isn't as versatile or comfortable as the DaveT platform, but it's cheap and fast.

Welcome and you'll learn ways to hide the receipts from your wife. If you need help we'll be your alibi. :D

Back