• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy wanting to learn about saddles

ImThere

I have been curious about saddle hunting for quite sometime. I only hunt public land. Up until this year we could leave our stands out on public land with permission for the Wma manager, this year he decided to stop letting us. So I currently have a couple of climbers I light API aluminum loc and 3 sticks I use. But what I really want is to get the lightest set up I can. It will all have to be strap on. I currently use a rock climbing harness and I think that's where the curiosity started.
I have been reading a lot on here and enjoy the site.

What would you guys say your average set ups weigh?
How long does it on average take you to get 20 ft up?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

the one and only "ImThere"

Welcome to the site! I'm biased but I think there is no better way than a saddle.

This is not exact but this is the approximate weight of my mobile setup:
saddle -4 pounds (but I wear in on my waste the whole time so it is not very noticable)
strap on platform with kwik loc over center buckle (boat buckle)-1.5 pounds
3 lone wolf sticks with DIY climbing aiders added- about 7.5 pounds.
DIY strap on bow hanger and backpack hook - negligible.

Personally I don't really count the weight of my saddle because it is like another piece of clothing for me and it is always worn on my waist. If I use my SRT rope climbing gear you can replace the lone wolf sticks with about 5 pounds of rope/gear. I am a little quicker with the sticks and can't use the rope method everywhere I hunt.

With the climbing sticks setup I can be up in around 10 minutes. With the rope it takes me a little longer if I have to throw a line up in a tree so total is about 15-20.

I just finished a DIY tree seat, so I haven't had a chance to hunt with the set-up, but I did weigh it all.

DIY tree seat + safety harness + tree strap + lineman's belt + carabineers = 4.5lbs
Lone Wolf Steps w/ aider = 7.5lbs
Daypack = 9lbs
Total = 21lbs

In comparison, my climber set-up:
Safety harness + tree strap + carabineers = 4.5lbs
Climber stand = 16lbs
Daypack = 9lbs
Total = 29.5lbs

Like redsquirrel said, the 4.5lbs for the saddle is like wearing clothing, so I really don't notice it. Climbing time depends if there are branches in the way, but if it's a straight tree I can be up and set-up in 10-15 min. I'm new to saddle hunting also and need more practice climbing with my set-up. I can probably get it in under 10 min with some practice. The saddle may be slower to set up than my climber, but there isn't as much noise, and weight savings is a good trade-off for long-distance hikes deep into public land.

The folks here are full of great info.

I think I still carried about 25 pounds in the woods I carry alot of clothes. I tend to get hot walking in and then change in to warmer clothes at the tree

the one and only "ImThere"

Never weighed my system. But I did time myself from getting to tree with pack on my back to set up with arrow nocked and bow hanging was 15 min. Then from bow hanging with arrow nocked to pack on back ready to walk out took 10 min. The 5 min difference and area I need to improve is installing the Ameristep platform. Some times it's a fight to get it cammed over all straight with correct spacing like I want on the steps.
I use 3 lone wolf sticks with one aider on the bottom stick.
That was on a clean tree with no vines or limbs to work around.

I'm in line with the numbers the other guys have mentioned.

There's a lot to be said for how quiet Saddle hunting can be. It's virtually silent when compared to a climber.

My pack with a few misc typical items, 2 liters of water and some food, and climbing gear is around 22 pounds. I carry in most of my layers so I don't get sweaty, so I am bringing in 30-40# total depending on what I bring.

My climber was over 25# on its own and much bigger, so a definite weight savings in addition to all the other benefits.

The way you wear the weight makes a big difference. And a saddle compared to a bulky stand usually makes a huge difference on felt weight.

I tried to use a pack at the begin in of season this year. I quickly found I didn't like it. The biggest reason I didn't like it hanging on the tree and with the extra room I want to carry to much junk. I love the saddle for mobility and I try to stay as light as possible. I went back to using my turkey vest. Enough storage for what I NEED and easy and light to wear. I just wish I could find one in ASAT camo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back