• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting, Houston, TX

Bobert

Hi Everyone,

I am originally from western PA where I spent most of my time hunting and trapping. 3 years ago I moved to Houston, TX for work. I have been hunting public land down here for pigs and deer. I keep pushing further and further into the swamps and public land in order to get away from the masses. I lug my LW hang-on into the woods, but It makes it difficult because then I have to make multiple trips to get my animal out of the woods. One trip for the stand and sticks, then another trip for the quartered animal. Anyway, I really am interested in saddle hunting and heard about this site on a Wired to Hunt podcast with Mr. Eberhart. Great information. I am soaking it all in. Saddle hunting looks like it will be right in my wheel-house.

Saddle, tree spurs and ameristeps on a strap. I've hauled many many deer out of the woods in one trip with this mobile approach.

Saddle, tree spurs and ameristeps on a strap. I've hauled many many deer out of the woods in one trip with this mobile approach.
Sounds great huck! thanks.Now i just have to figure out what saddle I want. I'll probably wait for the new saddles to hit the market before i pull the trigger.

Although, since I mostly hunt public land, I will probably stay away from the spurs.

Welcome to the site! Once you try a saddle, make sure you give it a chance. It is different than anything you've ever known so you have to get used to it and give it some time. You may hate it your first hunt, but once you get used to it you will realize what you have been missing out on.

Welcome to the site! Once you try a saddle, make sure you give it a chance. It is different than anything you've ever known so you have to get used to it and give it some time. You may hate it your first hunt, but once you get used to it you will realize what you have been missing out on.
Good to know! Thank you.

Sounds great huck! thanks.Now i just have to figure out what saddle I want. I'll probably wait for the new saddles to hit the market before i pull the trigger.

What part of Houston are you in? I am in Riverside (just north east of Huntsville) and have the sit drag right now but looking to add a Guido's Web and maybe the new saddle that is coming out. If you would like to try it, maybe we can meet up some time. (We have plenty of trees in east TX to test saddles on!)

What part of Houston are you in? I am in Riverside (just north east of Huntsville) and have the sit drag right now but looking to add a Guido's Web and maybe the new saddle that is coming out. If you would like to try it, maybe we can meet up some time. (We have plenty of trees in east TX to test saddles on!)
Cool. Thanks man. I am still doing my research, and right now I am leaning more towards the New Tribe products. But If i'm up that way I would be happy to meet up. I am on the west side of the city, but I head to Davy Crockett/ Angelina/ Sabine NF's whenever I can.

We're glad you're checking it out. If you want my advice - leave now, before it gets its hooks in you...

What G2 leave now lol!!!! I say stay, forget about budget, develop a addiction for saddles. Its pure healthy 10 out of 10 saddlists agree!!!

Back