• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting looking for platform /step ideas

Cladavidson

Hey SH’s I am interested in the Ameristep Tree Strap on steps “also know they are hard to get”, as well as the Cranford Rope Strap Steps. I don’t really want to go down the screw in road. Would like to know some of your ideas pros/cons comfort/ease of use and so on and any other ideas and or products you veterans are using.

Thanks everyone.

I'm very partial to the Ameristeps. I have about 30 of them. I don't think I'll ever sell them. They'll be listed in my will.

I'm very partial to the Ameristeps. I have about 30 of them. I don't think I'll ever sell them. They'll be listed in my will.

Seems like that’s the case with everyone that owns them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look into Wild Edge Inc’s steps. (Formerly known as Jim Stepps)

They are ROCK solid and easy to put up.

Look into Wild Edge Inc’s steps. (Formerly known as Jim Stepps)

They are ROCK solid and easy to put up.

I’ve looked at those they do look solid, how’s the comfort level given the smaller/ thinner step?

I’ve looked at those they do look solid, how’s the comfort level given the smaller/ thinner step?

its not so much as how thin or thick a "step/platform" is...as long as if you have contact points for the heel and the ball of your foot

a couple jim stepps definitely look to give those contact points...never used em but they look comfy enough

I have just switched to the wild edge steps for my means of climbing and platform. And for once I think i may of found the perfect setup for me. I used tree hopper bolts for the past several seasons as my means of climbing and platform. And having to pre drill the holes for the bolts or as your assending a tree to hunt for the first time was a pain to me. Also I hunt 99% public land so now I am legal. And for anyone using wild edge's steps take the time to watch Andrew's youtube videos. The one that helped me was watching the video on using the aider and how Andrew used the aider as a pulley with his foot in the aider to pull his foot higher before stepping up into the aider. And also how he would lift the aider and put his foot into the aider and lower the aider with his foot in it as he desends might not seem like a lot to you 6 foot plus guy's but to a 60 yr old 5' 9" guy it helps.

I have the cranford rope steps, sometimes use them as a platform...they are ok at best. I use two of them in conjunction with my hawk helium steps. I weigh about 260 plus gear, I'm not worried about them sliding, or breaking I just wish they were a bit longer. I do find myself moving more with them than I do with screw in steps

I have just switched to the wild edge steps for my means of climbing and platform. And for once I think i may of found the perfect setup for me. I used tree hopper bolts for the past several seasons as my means of climbing and platform. And having to pre drill the holes for the bolts or as your assending a tree to hunt for the first time was a pain to me. Also I hunt 99% public land so now I am legal. And for anyone using wild edge's steps take the time to watch Andrew's youtube videos. The one that helped me was watching the video on using the aider and how Andrew used the aider as a pulley with his foot in the aider to pull his foot higher before stepping up into the aider. And also how he would lift the aider and put his foot into the aider and lower the aider with his foot in it as he desends might not seem like a lot to you 6 foot plus guy's but to a 60 yr old 5' 9" guy it helps.

Thanks for the detailed reply I will be looking into this method.

Back