• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie kestrel help

Chris_l

My kestrel showed up a couple days ago and Ive been playing around with it in my yard. I'm struggling on getting comfortable sitting and hoping for some insight. Its really comfortable standing with my tree strap at around head level and I think I could go quite a few hours on my feet. And I'm also wonder how much readjusted do most do when transitioning for sitting to standing or vice versa. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I set with an eye level tether (set when I'm standing to strap on the tether). I sit into the saddle and make sure my thighs are somewhere around a 100-110 degree angle with my calfs. I probably have 80% of my weight sitting in my saddle. I may shift my weight from one foot to the other, or one cheek to the other, but I rarely adjust my tether after it has been set more than an inch.

I set with an eye level tether (set when I'm standing to strap on the tether). I sit into the saddle and make sure my thighs are somewhere around a 100-110 degree angle with my calfs. I probably have 80% of my weight sitting in my saddle. I may shift my weight from one foot to the other, or one cheek to the other, but I rarely adjust my tether after it has been set more than an inch.
When people talk about setting the tether I'm not sure what part they mean. There is first where you wrap it around the tree (I'm assuming as high as possible). Then there's the Blake's hitch, some length of rope and lastly the carabiner. I would think what really matters is where the carabiner ends up. Is that correct?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When people talk about setting the tether I'm not sure what part they mean. There is first where you wrap it around the tree (I'm assuming as high as possible). Then there's the Blake's hitch, some length of rope and lastly the carabiner. I would think what really matters is where the carabiner ends up. Is that correct?

No. When we talk about setting the tether, we are talking about where it goes around the tree. This is going to determine how sharp an angle you are hanging off the tree.

Bot of the things you talked about are important, but the first one is the tougher one to initially figure out and then adjust. After that is set you can easily adjust your blake's hitch so that it and the carabiner are in a position that makes you comfortable. My position is with my thighs a little above horizontal, almost like I'm sitting on a pillow on a chair.

No. When we talk about setting the tether, we are talking about where it goes around the tree. This is going to determine how sharp an angle you are hanging off the tree.

Bot of the things you talked about are important, but the first one is the tougher one to initially figure out and then adjust. After that is set you can easily adjust your blake's hitch so that it and the carabiner are in a position that makes you comfortable. My position is with my thighs a little above horizontal, almost like I'm sitting on a pillow on a chair.
Huh... I tried that and when I sat down into the saddle I was way too low. I guess I'll try again this weekend

Huh... I tried that and when I sat down into the saddle I was way too low. I guess I'll try again this weekend

Was your butt above or below your knees?

I had alot of pressure under my legs when trying to sit. I could definitely see that helping. If I lower my tether I might have to shorten my bridge to have the ability to stand. Tethered above my head the Blake's hitch was almost as high as it could go.

I had alot of pressure under my legs when trying to sit. I could definitely see that helping. If I lower my tether I might have to shorten my bridge to have the ability to stand. Tethered above my head the Blake's hitch was almost as high as it could go.

You can adjust the pressure under your legs with the buckles on the sides.
Why do you need to stand?
Yes, that tether sounds too high!

Comfort adjustments are gonna depend on your height and how wide your bottom is. Narrow butts can get away with a shorter bridge and wider butts need a longer bridge so there is less squeeze. At least that's what I find. So after I get the squeeze comfortable then I play with how high the connection point of my bridge is on the tree tether to get the angle of my thighs in the seating position or how ever you choose to hunt mostly correct. Then I adjust how high to wrap the tree tether around the tree for better movement and shoot ability. Depending on where you set the tether around the tree, you will have to re-adjust the point where the bridge connects to the tree tether to maintain that thigh angle you found earlier.
Once you find all those comfort zones you will know how high to tie your tree tether around the tree each time, then slide your connection point from bridge to tree tether to get that thigh angle where you like it and your bridge length should stay the same. That's what works for me anyway. Many ways to skin a cat.

Was your butt above or below your knees?
No not with the tether tied at eye level. With it at eye level, the length of the rope including the Blake's hitch, the carabiner and the bridge on the kestrel how it came puts my butt real low. I had to tie the tether well over my head to be between standing and sitting.

Problem is that a Blake’s Hitch is often too long. A lot of us are using a Ropeman which allows you to adjust it up pretty close to the tree AND it doesn’t stretch so it is consistent.

A lot of presewn prusiks are long as well. I have a tied prusik that is shorter. You can shorten your Blake’s but it takes some trial and error.

Oh...and have you shortened your bridge? Red runs a very short bridge. I have removed my carabiner (takes off length immediately) and then also tied the knot shorter. I am gradually shortening my bridge and haven’t found the point of diminishing returns yet.

No not with the tether tied at eye level. With it at eye level, the length of the rope including the Blake's hitch, the carabiner and the bridge on the kestrel how it came puts my butt real low. I had to tie the tether well over my head to be between standing and sitting.

Problem is that a Blake’s Hitch is often too long. A lot of us are using a Ropeman which allows you to adjust it up pretty close to the tree AND it doesn’t stretch so it is consistent.

A lot of presewn prusiks are long as well. I have a tied prusik that is shorter. You can shorten your Blake’s but it takes some trial and error.
I think JSD is right. A long blake's hitch will limit how much you can adjust. That was one reason I switched when I had first got my evolution.

I think JSD is right. A long blake's hitch will limit how much you can adjust. That was one reason I switched when I had first got my evolution.
Thanks I'll shorten the Blake's then mess around with the bridge length. The way it is I have to tie off way above my head.

You can adjust the pressure under your legs with the buckles on the sides.
Why do you need to stand?
Yes, that tether sounds too high!
Straps on the side are as loose. I think the angle of tying in to high might be cause of the pressure. As far as standing I guess it more of what I'm used too..stand hunting I always stood up when I seen something approaching.

I removed the carabiner and tied my bridge back on with a overhand retrace. It's a pretty simple step. When I sat the bridge dug into my love handles. My tie in point was too high. I had to shorten my bridge which is simple on the figure 8 that new tribe tied. Just ouch the bridge back through the knot a few inches and work it all the way around and out the tail. Then just make sure you have a pair of rope all the way through the knot and they don't cross each other. I have about 12 inches of tail on the figure 8 knot now and that may be where I leave it. Since shortening I can sit a lot more comfortably. When leaning you can about get away with anything and still be comfortable. When you start sitting small adjustments are more noticeable. Also pay attention to where the bridge attaches to the loops on the saddle. You would think that the rope or carabiner would pretty much center itself when you put weight in it but that hasn't been the case for me. If it is at the bottom of the loops when you sit down it may put more pressure under your legs.

Played around some more tonight. I removed the biner on the bridge to try and shorter things up but it I put way to much pressure in my hips so I tied it back on but alittle more tail. It gets me alittle closer to eye level and made a huge difference. There a good 8 inches or so between the caribiner and Blake's so I might try to shorten that up. Is it ok the have a tail coming out if the Blakes or should the stopper knot be tight to the knot. Thanks

I've been taking advice from this site about set up. Mostly tether height and bridge length. This is a pic of the Blake's hitch as received. It's real long. My bridge was also long. These made the popular head high tether around the tree impossible.
fdb5e95527ca4a588fada343d7759d2b.jpg

I shortened my Blake's and it still wasn't enough
787ef3cc8f3e462bd5c5d465ce951c3f.jpg

Back