• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Not yet a saddle user!

joshua8286

I am considering buying a new tribe evolution but I am needing a little convincing to pay 400 dollars. I am wanting something light and is not metal to make all kinds of noise. I like to lean back and have a back rest. but every saddle like harness I see doesnt have a back rest it just looks uncomfortable. I hunt 95% public land and have to travel a long ways to get away from other hunters. I would like to have all the opinions you all have if you have the time. It would be greatly appreciated.

joshua8286 said:
I am considering buying a new tribe evolution but I am needing a little convincing to pay 400 dollars. I am wanting something light and is not metal to make all kinds of noise. I like to lean back and have a back rest. but every saddle like harness I see doesnt have a back rest it just looks uncomfortable. I hunt 95% public land and have to travel a long ways to get away from other hunters. I would like to have all the opinions you all have if you have the time. It would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site josh!

The saddle is the perfect solution for you to help get away from other hunters. As far as the back rest, I know that it looks like it would be more comfortable with one but it doesn't need one. When you are hanging from the tree your weight leans back into the saddle and you don't really need to lean back into a back rest. If you feel differently there is a back support available for the aero hunter. I have back problems where I have sciatica and problems sitting for long periods of time but I am never more comfortable than when I'm hanging in my saddle and I do 7-10 all day sits per year. Hopefully this helps you, and hopefully others will chime in for you as well.

I would second what Squirrel stated. I too have back issues but I have never been more sore then sitting in a treestand or ground blind. I have never felt any soreness when hunting out of a saddle. I believe it has something to do with the way in which we are connected. I think when you are hunting from a normal treestand point of view the direction of pull on your harness is upwards and one sitting is the worst position for the back. I think when hunting from the saddle because the angle of pull is from our body center it tends to kinda aline things better. I am no doctor just my 2 cents. Josh sounds like you just need to spend the cash you won't be disappointed and it certainly beats lugging a climber around.

I am hanging a treestand now and it's loud and not fitting in the tree and I am exhausted and hot. With the evolution it just looks lighter and easier.

This is going to be my 1st season with a saddle. I have been looking at them for years but was scared to pull the trigger. When I seen the evolution and the reviews with all the adjustability to find the sweet spot for each hunter I knew it was time to give it a try. Everyone has different support needs and being able to adjust while in the tree is a big plus to fine tune. I've been practicing a lot out of it and I'm very happy with it and can't wait till the season opens. I hunt pretty much 100% public. I got rid of climbers a long time ago. 2 lone wolf assaults with 4 sticks have been my go too setup. I'm pretty sure that will change this year.

I have a Bunch of lone wolf sticks and a millennium tree stand that is just way too heavy not to mention that I make all kinds of noise in the woods with it because it's metal I just think that the evolution is going to be a good fit for me I appreciate all your comments and help

You can even eliminate the sticks with 50' of rope and a couple of prussik knot. There's a good thread on here about climbing techniques. But if you're not ready to pull the trigger on an aero hunter take a look at the champion saddle as an introductory saddle.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

You can use the sticks to get up to hunting height.

I agree with what everyone has posted. I had a lumbar strain several years ago, and after 10 years of EMS and emergency nursing my back can be touchy at times, even though I don't have chronic problems or a current injury. I've never sat in a more expensive tree stand but the aero is more comfortable than the climber I used (not to mention quieter).

Another point is that shifting your weight/position produces way less movement and noise.

Re:

DIYSaddler said:
if you're not ready to pull the trigger on an aero hunter take a look at the champion saddle as an introductory saddle.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I bought my Champion saddle, but after a few test trials in the back yard, I can see where saddle design matters with regard to comfort. More specifically, I cannot see myself sitting in the Champion saddle and being comfortable for long periods of time. Also if you buy the Champion saddle you'll need to buy other equipment as well, some of which may be more expensive than anticipated, or your may have little knowledge about (ropes, carabineers, etc.). Bottom line, if you're going to pull the trigger, go with the more expensive saddle and get the full set-up so you know you're getting all of the right gear. If you can't get comfortable using the most comfortable system on the market, then you will have learned whether or not saddle hunting is for you.

So far these are all lessons I've learned the hard way.

DSCF2086: http://youtu.be/csmswT69QII

This is how I got into saddle hunting. if you like this look up swing seat hunting. I can't count the amount of times that I've taken a noon day nap twenty feet up in it. Just add an extra strap around your torso.

This is where I got the idea from. It's not fancy but very effective. I got a doe out of it with a 71 yard heart shot. Very stable.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/th ... ategory=88

Back