• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Odd sounds in the woods

Root

Sunday I hiked a little over a mile into some thick brush/ pine trees just outside of a large bedding area.
I was positioned roughly 25' up in a pine tree with my left side basically covered with pine branches and leaves. Wind / thermals were going left to right across me.
As I'm sitting there with my head resting against my tether I hear really loud exhaling followed by what sounded like two large feet jumping up and landing hard off to my left. The exhaling started again followed by more feet jumping sounds. This went on for seven to eight minutes. The exhaling sounded similar to a doe blowing but three times louder and twice as long. I couldn't see through anything and it sounded 80 yards away or so. I've heard does blow tons of times and just about every other sound a deer can make and this was no deer.

I know there are bear around but I've never seen one nor do I know much about them. But the sound seemed like a bear landing on two feet, if not a bear it was something flat footed and heavy. Anyways I was just wondering what you guys think.

Jersey Devil. Lol.

Sounds like a bear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I hope it's not a squatch I don't have a tag for one!

I'm thinking it's a bear but line I said I have no real knowledge of them. I'm not sure if they make that kind of exhale sound.

I have had a large doe wind me twice near a bedding area in the last 2 weeks. She has the strangest blow I have ever heard, super long and just weird. if I didn’t see her I would never have guessed it was a deer. The other odd thing is she never runs off just kinda slowly leaves after blowing for 10 mins. It’s super strange and sounds and acts nothing like normal.

Yep
28d724e41162f1b9c2f6fa5a64ba732c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Those sounds do get you going at times.
I’ve had what I’m guessing are bears climbing and descending from trees in the dark way back in a few areas. Initially I thought it was a tree falling over but when it happened every morning hunt over the course of a month I knew it wasn’t a tree falling over within 100 yards of me . It’d always make the heart skip a few beats

I'd just like to know what it was and why it was doing it.

Scary to me is crawling through brush or planted pine trees in the dark and having a turkey take off right next to you. I jump every time.

I hunt the Mississippi River bottoms. There are rumored to be cougars inhabiting this area. I've never seen or heard one. I used to be a big believer in bigfoot but not so much anymore.

Reminds me of a time I shot a deer, clipped its lung and through the liver. Once I got around to tracking it, it was making the same sounds in the place it bedded up to die in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy and I were talking about various scary swamp sounds this past weekend. We concluded after several beers that we were both Bigfoot agnostics.

We ain't never seed'im, and we ain't never heared'im, but we don't taunt him out loud just in case. ;)

All I can think is jacklinks when I read this, now I want to make some jerky.

If I ever see one, he's getting a carbon red 250 grain through his head. I hope he doesn't read this.

I watched that creepy movie Mama the night before a hunt, heard the same creepy sound she made in the dark early in the morning. Turns out, raccoons make some creepy sounds too.
I have also heard a samsquacth, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the sasquatch marathon I had been watching.

I have heard something twice this year in the same place....it sounds like a short burst on a kazoo or a comb harmonica. I am assuming it is a bird. The two times I have heard it have both been at daylight.

Back