• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OnX ads complaint/rant

gcr0003

SH Member
My frustrations have been growing with OnX for some years now because what I felt was a lack of quality of maps compared to may other mapping apps (Garmin, Gaia etc.). I have stuck with them because I do enjoy the ease of use and features like line distance, area shape, and more recently their wind direction and waypoint radius that can be applied to a given waypoint. It has also been nice to seamlessly share information between buddies I hunt with. What really grinds my gears though is that I pay $20-30 for a premium services a year from their app and they still prompt me to rate their app or show me ads to buy junk every time I open the app. To me, if I’m paying for this app it shouldn’t come with ads and prompts.

One of the more annoying things in general about mapping apps when scouting was the need to stop and pull out the phone, open the app, take a picture of the deer sign, drop the pin, etc. If you scout much at all half the day will be taken up dropping pins. I was always trying to make that process quicker. Now consider every time you open the app this pops up D1190D30-3FBA-4015-AC11-87CA51C723CE.jpegand you have one more useless thing to click out of. It’s very frustrating to me. For a lot of my scouting I have went to marking locations with my Garmin gps watch which is very quick. Then I’ll transfer that data to OnX later. It makes scouting faster. All of that said, I still think it’s frustrating to pay for premium and get bombarded with crappy ads and rate my product prompts? Rant complete.

Do y’all with Elite still have ads? I don’t think I’d ever pay for elite features, especially not for ad removal, but I’m curious.

My frustration with them is that they don't support older versions of Iphone so my subscription is basically useless until I change my phone over to a newer one. I haven't been able to use Onx in the field for about 4 months at least. I've fallen back on my Garmin 64st but inputting waypoints is way slower. like hunting and pecking keys or using an abacus, lol. I hope to get the issue solved with a new to me phone soon.

That said, after the app froze up on me while I was a mile deep in a swamp due to a pop up ad, I called customer service when I got home (used the Garmin I had on me to get out) and they said it was the old phone but gave me a free year of the service for my troubles.

But i do agree. If I am already paying for the app don't give me more ads.

Yup. If that's every time I'm out. I completely agree, if I'm already paying for a service, no dang ads! I'm planning on checking out Spartan Forge. Isn't onX owned by the same group as The Meat Eater? I've only casually browsed their content but that's going down hill fast. See ya!

Edit, I'm looking into the onC meat eater relationship. Haven't found anything yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629_072545_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629_072545_onX Hunt.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My frustration with them is that they don't support older versions of Iphone so my subscription is basically useless until I change my phone over to a newer one. I haven't been able to use Onx in the field for about 4 months at least. I've fallen back on my Garmin 64st but inputting waypoints is way slower. like hunting and pecking keys or using an abacus, lol. I hope to get the issue solved with a new to me phone soon.

That said, after the app froze up on me while I was a mile deep in a swamp due to a pop up ad, I called customer service when I got home (used the Garmin I had on me to get out) and they said it was the old phone but gave me a free year of the service for my troubles.

But i do agree. If I am already paying for the app don't give me more ads.

Same with Elite. Pop up ads. Have to mash 9 different icons to share a waypoint, track etc. Always asking for access to other stuff on my phone.

I started a Spartan Forge account and as soon as I transfer my data I’m done with them.

I'd love it if Garmin would make a GPS device that had the screen and graphics of an Iphone (high definition screen with high resolution graphics) and was easy to set waypoints but wasn't a phone and didn't cost a million dollars, lol. It would need to take pictures too and have a feature to offer to save the picture to the coordinates spot you are standing in.

100% agree with this post. I can live with some of the other quirks, but this is a slap in the face to anyone using the tool in the field. Does anyone that works for OnX actually use it while scouting or hunting? Not only is it a pain to have to dismiss the ad, but I believe it delays the map loading as it gathers the information to place in the pop up window.

That's weird, I have the elite membership. Can't remember ever seeing any adds. I kinda look at onx like a jack of all trades mapping app, it's good at a lot of things, but not great at anything. Way too many clicks needed to make a waypoint. I know its not that long, but feels like I'm standing there for a couple minutes each time I want to mark something, get the right icon, color, description, etc.

I'm a hillcountry guy so most of my mapping is through caltopo, can't beat LIDAR for hills and its still free though there is a pro version. I tell myself every year I'm going to cancel my onx membership and then forget to before it autorenews- which is another complaint I have about onx, way too inconvenient to cancel your subscription.

Man don't tell me its owned by the MeatEater Conglomerate. Does every business have to horizontally integrate nowadays?!

That's weird, I have the elite membership. Can't remember ever seeing any adds. I kinda look at onx like a jack of all trades mapping app, it's good at a lot of things, but not great at anything. Way too many clicks needed to make a waypoint. I know its not that long, but feels like I'm standing there for a couple minutes each time I want to mark something, get the right icon, color, description, etc.

I'm a hillcountry guy so most of my mapping is through caltopo, can't beat LIDAR for hills and its still free though there is a pro version. I tell myself every year I'm going to cancel my onx membership and then forget to before it autorenews- which is another complaint I have about onx, way too inconvenient to cancel your subscription.
If you’re paying the annual you can cancel it at any time and still have access until your year is up, it just won’t renew at that time. Just go to your subscriptions on your phone and cancel. It will pop up and say are you sure you want to cancel, if yes you’ll still have access until x date.

I'd love it if Garmin would make a GPS device that had the screen and graphics of an Iphone (high definition screen with high resolution graphics) and was easy to set waypoints but wasn't a phone and didn't cost a million dollars, lol. It would need to take pictures too and have a feature to offer to save the picture to the coordinates spot you are standing in.

And blue tooth to the Garmin watch! Holy crap that’d work for sure!!! And I’d have an excuse to buy a new watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not good with this high tech stuff at all. I bought On X solely for the property boundaries and ownership. I hate that I have to stand and wait for it to upload. It usually shuts off & then wait again. I've never found any place to ask questions or learn to use it at all.

Back