• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Overcenter Buckle Video

Scott,

Excellent video! I'm not sure I'll need a mobile platform, since I have all of my trees pre-hung with screw-in steps, but I'll go with the boxer tie-down one if I need a strap style platform.

Thanks again for the excellent video.

BTW, just moved into a new house and have a backyard FULL of doe bedding. The neighbors tell me it's there AM bedding area.

Very informative vid,
Dave

Thanks Dave! I'm glad you liked it. I do most of my hunting in pre-set tree's as well. I occasionally like to roam and try a new spot on a whim. Also one of the county parks I started hunting last year only allows you to have 1 tree set at a time, but you can bring in/take out another. My lone wolf sticks and this setup will be my mobile setup for that park.

Congrats on the new home! Can you hunt in your backyard? Sounds like a perfect morning spot... its always easier to roll out of bed when its a short walk to the backyard :p . Sounds like a good place to be come the rut as well!

-Scott

hey good info. I believe the boxer will work great for me . I just love the idea of being totally mobile 4 lone wolf sticks my platform and im hunting any tree I choose and if I don't like it 10 minutes ill be sitting in another tree. oh how sweet . I am so looking forward to not carrying a climber this season.

Are there any strap on steps other than Climb Paws? I used to have Ameristeps however they were recalled so I sent them back for fear of breaking while I was in a tree. Since then I have been using screw ins and would like to convert back.

mark said:
hey good info. I believe the boxer will work great for me . I just love the idea of being totally mobile 4 lone wolf sticks my platform and im hunting any tree I choose and if I don't like it 10 minutes ill be sitting in another tree. oh how sweet . I am so looking forward to not carrying a climber this season.
Two thumbs up! :D

MIsaddlehunter said:
Are there any strap on steps other than Climb Paws? I used to have Ameristeps however they were recalled so I sent them back for fear of breaking while I was in a tree. Since then I have been using screw ins and would like to convert back.
The only other strap on steps available right now that I know of are the cranford rope steps, http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/cranford-folding-rope-tree-steps-p-2566.html. They work good, but they are fairly heavy. The ameristeps are the best out there so far, it is too bad they are out of production. They are going for over 20 bucks a step on ebay.

Welcome to the forum! :cool:

Great job red! That's definitely what we were looking for. Very exciting times :D I'll be ordering one asap! A guy at work said the other day that it's less than 90 days to bow season, I need to get moving. Working 7 10's has made it hard to just keep the lawn mowed let alone get ready for hunting. Great job again looks like there's more members since I was last on.

dennism said:
Great job red! That's definitely what we were looking for. Very exciting times :D I'll be ordering one asap! A guy at work said the other day that it's less than 90 days to bow season, I need to get moving. Working 7 10's has made it hard to just keep the lawn mowed let alone get ready for hunting. Great job again looks like there's more members since I was last on.

Thanks! Things are starting to pick up around here :D . 71 days til bow season for me... I've been trying to get things ready in my spare time too but it has been tough with work for me as well. When you order a buckle, the shipping is pretty ridiculous, so if you think you might need more than 1, I would order them now because the shipping only goes up a little bit when you add more to your order. Also as a side note on tree selection, I've tried it out on a few different trees. The system works the best on a perfectly round tree. If you get a tree with an odd shape where you get an air gap in between the tree and the strap, it will allow for a little play with the step and won't be as tight. On a round tree this can't happen and the platform is super solid.

Scott,

Nice video! Thanks! I had read somewhere of someone using sheet metal screws on either side of the Ameristep strap-on steps. The idea was to have the screws "bite" into the tree bark as the ratchet strap tightened them down...eliminating the sag of the step when you stood on it.

Don't know if it actually works as I haven't tried it. I would be concerned with compromising the step integrity and causing a safety issue. Just thought I'd mention that I saw someone doing that.

"Aero" Joe

joaxe said:
Scott,

Nice video! Thanks! I had read somewhere of someone using sheet metal screws on either side of the Ameristep strap-on steps. The idea was to have the screws "bite" into the tree bark as the ratchet strap tightened them down...eliminating the sag of the step when you stood on it.

Don't know if it actually works as I haven't tried it. I would be concerned with compromising the step integrity and causing a safety issue. Just thought I'd mention that I saw someone doing that.

"Aero" Joe

Joe,

I read about that too. I tried that on a few steps before I tried this buckle out. I did not really like having the screws sticking out of the steps. This buckle is nice and light and quiet, and as long as the tree is round it really keeps the steps locked in solid on the tree.

I'm glad you liked it!

Scott

joaxe said:
Scott,

"Aero" Joe

Tried it - didn't work for me with a ratchet strap to pull tight. I've pretty much resigned to the fact that the Ameristep steps will shift on me, but they won't slide. Shifting I'm okay with, but it's not my favorite thing in the world.

Working on a platform solution instead, but keep the Ameristeps as a go-to. Can't believe they're selling for 20+ a step now, that's nuts.

Back