• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack choices?

Bowhntr69

SH Member
If you are hunting public land that allows no atv for game retrieval are you going to have a separate external frame pack or are you just using an internal frame pack for all of your saddle gear and bringing meat out with you after harvest of an animal?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in this thread however I just usually take my exo k3 pack everywhere I go. Packs down small and light for short hunts, has enough capacity for all the extra layers I might need, and has an external frame for packing out meat. Super handy.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in this thread however I just usually take my exo k3 pack everywhere I go. Packs down small and light for short hunts, has enough capacity for all the extra layers I might need, and has an external frame for packing out meat. Super handy.
2x on external frame. I have the KUIU Pro Frame with a 2300 bag and it squeezes down small when empty and can haul all my gear and quartered up deer.

I’ll add that I’m fairly new to packing game out but after two deer packed out last season it is my go to for the foreseeable future. I just don’t see a better way of going about it at this time.

just did this on public Sunday with a big doe. packed her out in my daypack and then went back for my sticks and rope. Moving forward i think i will do it the exact opposite as in field dress, pack all my gear out, and then go back with that same pack and debone and pack out. I have the kuiu 1800 so not technically a full on frame pack so take that for what it is...

If I'm planning on packing out around me locally: last year I ran a MR Sawtooth 45 and I'm currently running a K4 2200 setup. I won't go back to the truck to get a pack, so I'm either wearing it or recovering whole lol.

It’s all I’ve ever done and until this year when I got a pack that I’m able to quarter out, gutting and shoulder carrying or dragging has always been THE way lol even now I’m not quartering in the field. Gut and carry/drag, it’s a whitetail not an elk and in Louisiana I don’t think a deer exists that over 175# without the guts, I say until I physically can’t anymore they will be carried out. Think of it more like part of the experience of hunting lol it’s bad enough I don’t process them myself, can’t go getting soft out here lol

It’s all I’ve ever done and until this year when I got a pack that I’m able to quarter out, gutting and shoulder carrying or dragging has always been THE way lol even now I’m not quartering in the field. Gut and carry/drag, it’s a whitetail not an elk and in Louisiana I don’t think a deer exists that over 175# without the guts, I say until I physically can’t anymore they will be carried out. Think of it more like part of the experience of hunting lol it’s bad enough I don’t process them myself, can’t go getting soft out here lol
In my area processors only want them whole. So unless I want to do all the processing myself my only option is get it out whole.

To answer the original question, in the scenario you describe I would just be using a frame pack and small bag as my everyday pack

In my area processors only want them whole. So unless I want to do all the processing myself my only option is get it out whole.

To answer the original question, in the scenario you describe I would just be using a frame pack and small bag as my everyday pack
Yeah, here quartered and deboned costs less at the processor. They charge you extra if you bring them in whole.

Dumb newb question here, but what purpose does a frame serve on a pack? Either internal or external? Doesn't having a frame add a bunch of weight?

BT

Dumb newb question here, but what purpose does a frame serve on a pack? Either internal or external? Doesn't having a frame add a bunch of weight?

BT
The slightly extra weight of a frame will pay you back in dividends if/when you’re hauling out heavy loads like the meat, caped head and your hunting/climbing gear.

BT
It can add 2 to 4lbs. Even if you don't pack out a deer. Going in with a platform, climbing sticks, hunting gear, water, mid layers, outer layers and a supply of Little Debbie's you can get to 20+ lbs of stuff quick. A frame pack will help pack the load.

It can add 2 to 4lbs. Even if you don't pack out a deer. Going in with a platform, climbing sticks, hunting gear, water, mid layers, outer layers and a supply of Little Debbie's you can get to 20+ lbs of stuff quick. A frame pack will help pack the load.

I'll just drop my little Debbie supply down from 15 pounds to 10 and that should make up the difference :tearsofjoy:

BT

I'll just drop my little Debbie supply down from 15 pounds to 10 and that should make up the difference :tearsofjoy:

BT
If you compress all of your Little Debbie's into the shape of a frame sheet, that would help! LOL! Honestly though, if I use a legit pack it will have a frame. I do prefer an external vs. internal, because of most of them have capabilities for a meat shelf in between the bag and frame. I really like the internal Badlands 2200 though... A frame just helps distribute the weight so that it can ride on your hips and allows you to take some pressure off your shoulders (if fitted right). Even if they're physically heavier, they carry lighter to me.

I second Heretic's recommendation to read through the backpack thread. Lots of good knowledge and pics in there.

But.....

Really like this Hybrid internal frame pack from Alps OutdoorZ. It has plenty of expansion and robustness for packing out a whitetail. Cinches down closed when you don't need the extra space.

Back