• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"The official saddle hunting backpack thread"

JumpingVampire

Let's see them post it up with pics. In these photos (Kuiu 1850 Pro). As of today I run the Kuiu Suspension with the Lone Wolf Custom Gear .5 shown in the last picture. I've eliminated the water bladder and the foam pad. This pack allowed me to pack out couple deers already. Very nice a versatile bag.
20191218_084701.jpg
20191218_084958.jpg
20191209_130851.jpg
The haul feature
20191219_210704 - Copy.jpg
The minimalist with aluminum stays
20191219_213850.jpg
Minimalist with aluminum stays and light belt strap
20191219_213737.jpg
Here is the no carbon frame with the Kuiu Suspension straps
20191219_215158.jpg

View attachment 2224920210803_160943.jpg20211104_000702.jpg

Last edited:
Hill People Gear “Connor.”
7307eedfa0b8702be3c8716ae5fe1bf9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s my current setup. 2 variations: 1- using 8x WE steps, weighs in at 22lbs 8oz total ; 2- using Hawk Helium sticks, weighs almost 24lbs total. I usually don’t go nuts on weight but in this case I nerded out on it just for fun.

86b06cc6e8d8309cc120b06489ecc9e4.jpg
8f2c6555e9a28c462be133a6b32cacb4.jpg
b1e0d2467fc94b3c4f03a7cec1c5c548.jpg
bb3241fc43ce32407345ed6c37188d0e.jpg
a7a4618d8af4d342264469e1beb9e53f.jpg

i have been on a backpack search since day one of saddle hunting. i still haven't found the one i want. i have found some that were close. the horn hunter g2 is on my list of packs to try. i walk a fair many miles in archery season, and i like to be able to strap my bow and extra clothes to my pack also. i had a horn hunter g3 at one point. it was nearly perfect in every way, except one. it was too big in the tree. i am anxious to see the suggestions and ideas that this thread produces.

I have a eberlestock x2, and it is kinda big for hanging in the tree next to you. I have been using a small voodoo tactical pack for the last few years and it is durable as all get out. I made a couple of small strap mods to it and I can carry 4 lone Wolf sticks and all my gear. I can still strap my scentlok to the back of it. I have always used a ring of steps, but I just bought a platform. I will have to do some head scratching when I get some time to figure out how to mount my platform to it

I run this voodoo pack, i cut and melted the compression strap ends on both sides so they can be opened up to go around my climbing sticks and I added 2 small continuous loops on the sides at the top to put around my versa buttons to keep the sticks from sliding down. It is a smaller pack that has held up well for me and can carry all of my gear. You will have to set up all of the shoulder and waist straps then duct tape the tag ends to keep them in the same place.

Vanguard Pioneer 2100RT. I think it's big enough and small enough. I put a pic on one of the other pack threads. The only thing I don't like about it is one of the outside pockets is lined with some sort of loud insulation material. I pack my thermos in it but once I access it I don't put it back in till I'm ready to leave. Those outside pockets are valuable real estate.

I run this voodoo pack, i cut and melted the compression strap ends on both sides so they can be opened up to go around my climbing sticks and I added 2 small continuous loops on the sides at the top to put around my versa buttons to keep the sticks from sliding down. It is a smaller pack that has held up well for me and can carry all of my gear. You will have to set up all of the shoulder and waist straps then duct tape the tag ends to keep them in the same place.
I'd like to see your mods, I run a slightly smaller version of your pack. I use WE steps and it can carry 8-9 easily probably more but only have nine. I typically only carry 4, which leaves an insane amount of space for such a small pack. Tight, compact, basic, durable, expandable.
I also run a very small tactical shoulder bag that can fit 4 steps and a small amount of other gear for early season minimalist setups. They both serve the purpose almost as if they were built for it!

Last edited:
I use a badlands reactor. The main compartment is terrible it only opens at the top which means it’s hard to load and unload. It also has no compression straps so my platform and spurs get strapped around the whole pack. The reason I still use it is because it is very small, quiet, and I am a minimalist. The front pouch is nice and gives good access while in the tree. I have 7 packs and this is the only one I take up in the tree. The others create too big of a profile. I’ll use my stone glacier packs if I’m going deep or have to carry more gear but they stay stashed on the ground.

013d70df9b3cfc5199667d81cb2a7d6c.jpg

I use a badlands reactor. The main compartment is terrible it only opens at the top which means it’s hard to load and unload. It also has no compression straps so my platform and spurs get strapped around the whole pack. The reason I still use it is because it is very small, quiet, and I am a minimalist. The front pouch is nice and gives good access while in the tree. I have 7 packs and this is the only one I take up in the tree. The others create too big of a profile. I’ll use my stone glacier packs if I’m going deep or have to carry more gear but they stay stashed on the ground.

013d70df9b3cfc5199667d81cb2a7d6c.jpg

Wirrex, I dont like hiding my pack on the ground, my luck the one chance I get at the “Thunderdonk” he gingerly trots up to my pack, takes one look, one sniff, then high tails it back to Valhalla never to be seen or heard from again! I actually hid a pack about 80 yards away in a bush in sight one time and a doe made a b line for the pack and snorted for the next hour in the distance

13028fa37dda658bf6844c2fca8db45e.jpg

I can't find one that better fits my needs than this one. I am the guy that carries the almost 2 of everything. This pack at the time of pic is carrying stick, camera gear, jacket, 3-4 flashlights, water, snack, hot hands, knives, bow rope, tree strap, bow holder, binos, gloves, and a few other things. The thing I like the most about this bag is how everything attaches to the outside. You can see the molle attachments on the side here and the jacket on bottom uses the two straps on the bottom. I made a few 1" webbing sinch straps that i'll run through the molle system on both sides to attach any extra clothing that may be needed.

IMO, hunting is all about having a system. That system is what leads to efficiency. I love my current set up. I wish they made a pack like it with an internal frame and a waste belt, although I don't really need it.

Last edited:
13028fa37dda658bf6844c2fca8db45e.jpg

I can't find one that better fits my needs than this one. I am the guy that carries the almost 2 of everything. This pack at the time of pic is carrying stick, camera gear, jacket, 3-4 flashlights, water, snack, hot hands, knives, bow rope, tree strap, bow holder, binos, gloves, and a few other things. The thing I like the most about this bag is how everything attaches to the outside. You can see the molle attachments on the side here and the jacket on bottom uses the two straps on the bottom. I made a few 1" webbing sinch straps that i'll run through the molle system on both sides to attach any extra clothing that may be needed.

IMO, hunting is all about having a system. That system is what leads to efficiency. I love my current set up. I wish they made a pack like it with an internal frame and a waste belt, although I don't really need it.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Elkyinzer this is the Popup 28 correct?

I’m trying to like this pack as I have it and the X2. Trouble I have is the storage. I like to have range finder, binos, call,small supply of food very accessible while settled. Can you describe what your carrying and where?

Also like to know how you set up at the base of the tree to climb.

Back