• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packing sticks out

Pats1512

So curious what everyone here does. May have been discussed before but I hate packing sticks out and figure someone has a good method. When I leave my truck with my lone wolfs they are stacked nice and tight and wrapped to my pack. Problem is in the dark I hate using a light and making noise especially when I know I'm in deer. With the stealth strips my sticks are pretty noisy still when packing because of the metal on metal. I pretty much right now pile them up and cinch them on the pack but they still rattle. I also just bought the XOP to try that Cam lock and i do not like it at all and they are like boat anchors. Might be being a little anal but I hate pressure and foreign noise is pressure and to me going out is more important then going in cause the deer are usually moving. Any ideas? I did just buy some wild edge steps and I'm hoping that's better taped up but I don't see myself giving up totally on my sticks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have lone wolf sticks. I don’t use the strap and buckle that came with it any more. I have a rubber bungee I wrap around them after I snap them together. Then I strap to the outside of my pack. They don’t make any noise.

I stack mine, wrap them with niteize and the clip my shoulder strap to the niteize. I usually carry them in front on my right hip when I have my backpack. If I have my fanny pack I sling them on my back and the just sit right on top on of my fanny pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take my time and restack mine. I am using Hawk Helium's with the rope mode. I wrap my rope up around the stick end ways on the first 2 sticks. The 3rd stick I use the rope to bind all 3 together before strapping to my pack. I am able to do this very quietly but I will use a red or green headlamp as needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Take your time and keep your cool. I'll upload a utube vid how you secure a load with cordage because that's definitely way to much for a modern human to figger out. Better to ask forgiveness than permission and we have microwaves for a reason anyway. Says the guy that sprints down the mountain to get home for dinner but honestly how many problems can we manufacture. Soon we can load our 1.299 pound sticks on an autonomous drone and have it beat our self driving truck home so no worries carrying 6 pounds of clanking sticks out of the woods.

I take my time and restack mine. I am using Hawk Helium's with the rope mode. I wrap my rope up around the stick end ways on the first 2 sticks. The 3rd stick I use the rope to bind all 3 together before strapping to my pack. I am able to do this very quietly but I will use a red or green headlamp as needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How do you carry your sticks? Do you just carry them in hand or attach them to a backpack? Whats your method?

How do you carry your sticks? Do you just carry them in hand or attach them to a backpack? Whats your method?
I strap them to my back pack. After stacking them together I use the rope on the last stick to bind all 3 or 4 (depending how many I am using) together and lay it on their side an strap them on my pack.
e64b51501b0062468193ef94770c1092.jpg
ab03f5eddfe0fbfc22d51a0bb0d5013c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's pretty much what I do. I like them on the pack. It keeps the amount of stuff they hit walking through cover down and they hold tight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the straps on the side of my back to hold my sticks and just wrap the strap of one around the other.
3389cdc8b1bdc7ff2a3f443659e1bd33.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I use the straps on the side of my back to hold my sticks and just wrap the strap of one around the other.
3389cdc8b1bdc7ff2a3f443659e1bd33.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Which Alps pack is that? Is that one capable of carrying your bow as well?

That's the brand I am looking to buy.

Which Alps pack is that? Is that one capable of carrying your bow as well?

That's the brand I am looking to buy.
Not sure what model it is, I've had it for about 5 years. And yes, the bow goes in the middle. LOVE this pack...would love it even more if I could get the smell of a bottle of spilled doe piss out of it.

Not sure what model it is, I've had it for about 5 years. And yes, the bow goes in the middle. LOVE this pack...would love it even more if I could get the smell of a bottle of spilled doe piss out of it.

hahaha :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
looks like the Trailblazer model. Might have to get that one, the one i was looking at didn't have the cinch straps on the side, and i like the idea of being able to carry my sticks as an option. Thanks Bud

This year I am going to run my sticks in the load shelf of my new Mystery Ranch pack. Saddle, tether, and gear goes in the bag. Pack has a pocket for hydration bladder. Clothes and other cold gear (boot covers and hand muff) can also go on load shelf and actually makes the load even more balanced. LW platform straps nicely to outside. I've since been able to get a little more compressed than this, this photo was my first load up. I tried a few different ways and I challenge anyone to come up with a better balanced system with no protrusions to snag brush. Pretty psyched to hit the woods with it. Just nuts how compact compared to using my big azz summit climber. Didn't weigh yet, but base weight for early season hunts should be sitting conservatively around 20.

20180316_165137.jpg

Back