• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Painted my platform … scent?

Wilgabeast

I painted my predator xl platform today . I’m assuming that it will be all but scent free come season opening in 5 months . I plan to leave it hung outside in the sun for weeks

I painted my predator xl platform today . I’m assuming that it will be all but scent free come season opening in 5 months . I plan to leave it hung outside in the sun for weeks
Oh yeah, it should be fine. I had a friend of mine camo paint his deer feeder and he had deer on camera eating out of it that evening, lol. We got a laugh out of that one.

Oh yea that was my number one thought . Do it 5-6 months before season starts

I think I’m gonna add a few coats of clear coat matte finish to protect the paints

Put it in a garbage bag sealed and then in your car in the hot summer heat for a couple days. Should off gas good in there. I think it needs to be 80-100 degrees for at least 24 hours typically.

Put it in a garbage bag sealed and then in your car in the hot summer heat for a couple days. Should off gas good in there. I think it needs to be 80-100 degrees for at least 24 hours typically.
I did a shotgun with Krylon a few years ago. Right after it dried it was really soft and I scuffed it up pretty badly when I put it back in the safe. A month or so later I pulled it out and it was rock solid. It definitely needs to cure for a while, and it seems that heat helps it cure. Trash bag in the sun, or trunk of a car in the summer, should do the ticket. Otherwise just give it time. Either way you should be worry-free by the time the season rolls around.

I hammered the top with clearcoat and threw sand in it for traction then hammered it again with clear.that stuff smells more.and for longer ,but was good after a month outside in the carport.View attachment 65230
I was going to put the sand in the primer and camo over that. Hadn't thought of clearcoat. Might have to try both ways, my Rebel Fab has an upper and lower platform after all...

I didn't camo the top of the platform,just the bottom. Figyer the deer can't see the top but I might want to.of course some of the sand rubs off but most stays ,and works nice.i think it might even get rid of squeaks on the souls of your boots

Back