• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pemmican Recipie

LooyvilleLarry

Since some had requested, I made a small batch of this, and it was much better than other attempts. I thought I'd pass this on.

5 oz of dried lean meat ( I used sirloin in this case) , dry at 120*
5 oz of fat - I used 50/50 tallow (beef) and bacon fat
1 oz of dried cherries - dry these along with the meat, they should be very dry
1 oz of 60% cacao chocolate chips
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp of raw honey

Melt the fat in a pan on low heat - only needs be hot enough to liquify.
I used a meat grinder for the dried meat, to shred it. A food processor would work too.
Add the shredded meat, salt, cherries and honey to the liquid fat mix well.
Add the chocolate last - adding it first will melt it all.

I then spooned this into mini muffin tins, but anything works. throw in the freezer (or even outside lately) for an hour or so to solidify.

These are intense. Take small nibbles (think the size of a cashew) and let that melt in your mouth. Its not candy for sure, and you likely won't have to worry about someone stealing your stash on a midnight fridge raid.

It is survival food. I do a lot of hunting on an island, and while shore may only be 80yds away, that isn't a choice in the winter. I always have a chunk of this and other gear in case the boat has a problem ( yeah, like taking on water - true story).

Good luck!

Since some had requested, I made a small batch of this, and it was much better than other attempts. I thought I'd pass this on.

5 oz of dried lean meat ( I used sirloin in this case) , dry at 120*
5 oz of fat - I used 50/50 tallow (beef) and bacon fat
1 oz of dried cherries - dry these along with the meat, they should be very dry
1 oz of 60% cacao chocolate chips
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp of raw honey

Melt the fat in a pan on low heat - only needs be hot enough to liquify.
I used a meat grinder for the dried meat, to shred it. A food processor would work too.
Add the shredded meat, salt, cherries and honey to the liquid fat mix well.
Add the chocolate last - adding it first will melt it all.

I then spooned this into mini muffin tins, but anything works. throw in the freezer (or even outside lately) for an hour or so to solidify.

These are intense. Take small nibbles (think the size of a cashew) and let that melt in your mouth. Its not candy for sure, and you likely won't have to worry about someone stealing your stash on a midnight fridge raid.

It is survival food. I do a lot of hunting on an island, and while shore may only be 80yds away, that isn't a choice in the winter. I always have a chunk of this and other gear in case the boat has a problem ( yeah, like taking on water - true story).

Good luck!

I'll have to try the cherries, I always use cranberries. Also, I never used chocolate, maybe I'll try that too on my next batch.

Also, the paper inserts in the mini muffin tin are a must for me, keeps things from getting messy.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Larry. I will have to try making a batch up this winter :D

Back