• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pent up questions on carabiners and rappelling

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Sorry if I'm dredging up things that have been discussed already but I don't recall seeing them recently so here goes...

1) Do you know of any carabiners that are hunter-friendly, ie not shiny, and reasonably priced? Last time I researched this I only found one online and it was pricey.

2) Should I use a certain type of carabiner for rappelling and retrieving rappel rope from the ground? If yes, what's the keyword I use to find it? Or will any climbing-grade (with sufficient kn rating) biner work?

3) If you were going to purchase rope and a device for rappelling with goals of a) being as light as possible and b) being able to retrieve the line from the ground, what rope and device would you buy?

4) Can you rappel with a Kestrel? If yes, how exactly?

I don't rappel so I don't know about that. But for carabiners the company REI has all different kinds of carabiners and all different colors reasonably priced. You you could check with the company tree stuff also. The rope I like is Predator rope 11mm from Wesspur and you can purchase it by the Foot. Check out these web sites. I bought red and white rope 11mm from REI to make my Red's climbing aider they also sell rope by the foot.

I rappel with the Kestrel with no issues. I hook my bridge into the carabiner attached to a Grigri2. I use an adjustable length bridge because it simplifies an SRT climb but its not necessarily needed to shorten it for descent.

I use a Grigri2 for rapelling and have used the Madrock Lifeguard. The lifeguard is slightly smaller than the Grigri2 but I still prefer the Grigri2.

For carabiners I have been using Black Diamond Positrons (screw lock). They are silver but its a trade off as they are small and light.

As far as rope goes I have used both Teufleberger Tachyon 11.5mm and the Predator. Both work well. I like the color of the predator better but I prefer the Tachyon slightly for descent as it seems a little stiffer on the diameter and that makes the rappel a little smoother.

Omega USA for black or green carabiners. They are what I am issued to use at work, they mainly get used to attach rifles to vests with out a sling, but I use them for quick attaching lines to litters.

Petzl and DMM both make flat black biners. I have petzl William (shiny grey and orange) petzl am'd black and DMM ultra-o black, all auto locking. Any of those would be appropriate for rappelling.

Tell me. Is Amstel suitable for rappelling? Would it work with a figure 8 or similar device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.......that was blunt

Well.......that was blunt

Lol. I'd figured you'd get the point.

Rappelling would be way off label for amsteel. I'd stick to something designed for climbing.

Tell me. Is Amstel suitable for rappelling? Would it work with a figure 8 or similar device?

Since writing the OP, I purchased and tested (at safe heights) the following:

Figure 8 emergency descender: I don't recommend this. You can find YT vids on using it, but I need something more idiot-proof.

ATC Pilot: slightly less idiot-proof. Definitely lightweight.

80' Predator rope: got a cool Wesspur catalog with this, tax refund is in jeopardy. Wish 40' of this rope was lighter...

I'm still looking for the holy-grail of rappel rope and device that is lightest and safest possible. Guess I should pony up for the Grigri.

Since writing the OP, I purchased and tested (at safe heights) the following:

Figure 8 emergency descender: I don't recommend this. You can find YT vids on using it, but I need something more idiot-proof.

ATC Pilot: slightly less idiot-proof. Definitely lightweight.

80' Predator rope: got a cool Wesspur catalog with this, tax refund is in jeopardy. Wish 40' of this rope was lighter...

I'm still looking for the holy-grail of rappel rope and device that is lightest and safest possible. Guess I should pony up for the Grigri.
I have a Mad Rock Safeguard on the way. It's the same as the Lifeguard without the cam spring. Its similar in function to the GriGri2 but is smaller and lighter. I never felt comfortable with the Lifeguard as I felt the spring was to stiff to assure the cam would always lock up. I'll let you know my impressions when it gets here and I have a chance to give it climb or two.

I have a Mad Rock Safeguard on the way. It's the same as the Lifeguard without the cam spring. Its similar in function to the GriGri2 but is smaller and lighter. I never felt comfortable with the Lifeguard as I felt the spring was to stiff to assure the cam would always lock up. I'll let you know my impressions when it gets here and I have a chance to give it climb or two.
Any update on this? Sorry to resurrect but I found your post while researching rappel techniques.

One of the things I like about this forum is folks don't wrapped around the axle when you bump an old topic.

That’s because guys on here are actually helpful & not just looking for reasons to bitch or brag about things.

On here it’s either something that u learn, a quick refresher on a thread u forgot about or u just skip to another thread without complaining.

Any update on this? Sorry to resurrect but I found your post while researching rappel techniques.
Funny this should come back to the top today. I had sold the lifeguard to a friend's daughter so she could use it as a top rope belay device during their ice climbing season. I mentioned to him at the time that I wanted to do a video comparing the lifeguard, safeguard and Grigri at some point. Well he just dropped the lifeguard off at my desk this morning. Hope to get a video done this weekend so i can the get the lifeguard back to his daughter. More info soon.

Back