• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Philly Cheese Venison recipe

Matty

Been a while since I've been on, glad to see the site flourishing.

I only hunted out of a saddle once this season, but figured I could contribute with my "philly cheese venison" recipe. I'm not the best cook, but I've got a few things I do well and this is one that most people seem to really like.

Plus, it's easy and delicious.

Step one, shoot, track, drag, butcher. lol

I use canned venison for this (because I "can" the bulk of my deer), but you could do just as well or better by thinly slicing up any steak from the deer like a more traditional philly cheese steak. Not much difference in preparation.

Serves 2
Ingredients:
1 Green Pepper
1 Onion
1 small jar canned venison (or a venison steak sliced thin)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Seasonings to your taste (salt, pepper, garlic, etc)
Rolls (hoagie, french, whatever)
Provolone Cheese
Mayo/Ketchup (optional)

Step one: Chop up a fresh pepper and onion.

Step two: Spread a small amount of olive oil in frying pan. (medium heat)

Step three: When pan is hot, add peppers and onions. Stir them occasionally until they are browning and starting to smell delicious!

***At this time you can preheat the oven to 350* and begin toasting your cut rolls.

Step four: Separate them to the two sides and turn the heat up to high. Add a drizzle more olive oil to the empty center of the pan. Then add the venison.Canned venison is already cooked, so you're really just heating it and trying to get some burn on it for the mailard reaction, so not too much oil, you're trying to sear it and heat it. You can also add crushed black pepper, salt, etc to season as you like. I usually just use a pinch of garlic, pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper.

Step five: Once the meat is hot and has some good old carmelization going, turn the heat back down to low and stir it all up together.
As the rolls begin to toast, take them out and spread a thin layer of mayonaise, then add a slice of provolone cheese. You can put them back in to melt the provolone a little but then take them out to add meat.

Step six: Add the meat/peppers/onions to the now mostly toasted roll. Add another strip or two of provolone on top and place back in the oven. Let it go for a few minutes to really melt the cheese and finish browning the roll. 3 minutes approx.

Keep an eye on it and take it out when it looks like perfection!

Add ketchup to it (if you want) and serve it up with some potato chips or french fries (or whatever side you prefer).

Hopefully you enjoy it!

Canned venison

Peppers and onions starting to brown almost ready for the meat:

Separated and meat added:

Partially toasted bun with partially melted provolone and mayo (under the meat/peppers/onions) ready for more cheese and then back in the oven:

Final product! Eat up!!!

You're making me hungry!

Good to see you Matty! Hope all is well :cool: . How did you do this season?

wow, thanks for taking the time to write this up, looks great! :cool:

Thanks guys, it is delicious and hopefully you guys get to try it and enjoy it.

Red, I'm good. How about you?

I shot one big doe this year and passed 3 mature bucks that I probably should have shot (especially one of them)...I just didn't feel right dropping the string because I knew of two very large bucks but couldn't get either in bow range.

Every one has been complaining that there are no deer, but I've found a few spots that could still use some thinning, so I'll probably shoot one more doe for the freezer.

I think I read you shot two bucks and two does? Nice! Congrats!

Matty said:

I shot one big doe this year and passed 3 mature bucks that I probably should have shot (especially one of them)...I just didn't feel right dropping the string because I knew of two very large bucks but couldn't get either in bow range.

Every one has been complaining that there are no deer, but I've found a few spots that could still use some thinning, so I'll probably shoot one more doe for the freezer.

Matty said:

Congrats on the doe! Its easier to say I should have shot now! If you were happy not shooting them then, you made the right decision! Can't shoot a really big one if you shoot the medium ones!

As far as me, I've had probably the busiest year of my life.
-New job
-Became a hermit for 5 months, but passed my board exams for work
-Preparing for the baby on the way
-Our little girl arrived in October

I did not have very high standards going into the year. I was trying to get out as much as I could before the baby came, and then just happy to go whenever I was able to after. I shot 2 does in the park in September. The baby came on October 13th and I was off for the next 2 weeks. The first week we were in the hospital the entire week because my wife had a c section. By the second week I was going stir crazy between being cooped for a week, playing Mr. Mom and taking care of a newborn. My wife's sisters and mother were over every day so I took the opportunity to sit in a tree in the afternoons. I hunted the park that week because I shot my 2 does to earn a chance at one of those bucks. I saw one nice buck early in the week but he didn't come my way. Late in the week I had a 6 pointer come out right under me and I took him and watched him fall over. He had a double brow one one side and 3 on the other. I didn't get out too much in November because I had limited vacation time with the new job and took most of what I did have for the baby. I was able to take some time the week of Thanksgiving. The first day that week it was going to be really cold I cashed in my points with my wife for my only planned all day sit of the year. A high 6 came cruising by at 10am and although it wasn't one of my best shots he dropped just out of sight. So considering my low expectations going into the year I had a great year! My freezer is stocked with sausage and backstraps, and I picked up a smoker for christmas so we've been eating well :D Good luck the rest of the season! I haven't been seeing as many deer as usual, but I have some spots that have been hitting better than others as well. The 2 bucks I shot and the other one I referred to were the only racked bucks I saw this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4387.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 116
Wow man! Way to get out there and get it done!

My life isn't nearly that crazy and I still have trouble finding time to get out there as much as I want. (maybe my expectations are too high) lol

I can't imagine if I had to endure what you have all in one season. You are burning both ends of the candle! :shock:

Congrats on the deer, job and especially the baby girl!!!! I remember you telling me your wife was pregnant last time we talked on here. Glad to hear she and baby are well.

Next on your list is moving out of NJ...

Why you ask?

Because when people find out you shot 4 deer in one season here, they are going to send out an angry mob with pitchforks and torches. The whole nine yards....Haven't you heard NJ whitetails are on the brink of extinction? :lol:

on a serious note: I do see less deer while spotlighting, which is more accurate than hunting, and some areas are hit hard, but I don't think the sky is falling..... yet.

Enjoy all that venison and the new smoker!

Thanks! I definitely have been burning the candle at both ends (and in the middle lol). Since the little girl came she has been the #1 priority and takes up most of our time! I'm lucky to sneak away to the garage for 1/2 hour projects lol.

I better go underground for a while! :lol: But I agree that some areas are hit harder than others. The rough winters the past few years and the coyotes have really done a number IMO in some areas. I'm hoping this winter stays fairly mild and snowless and that gives them a boost. Opening day of bow I rushed a shot and took the fur of the chest of a coyote. I saw another and heard them howling at 9 am. They are all over. If I can find some free time I would like to get out after them but time is limited! I also think the state can cut back on the 3 month unlimited gun seasons at this point, and even the unlimited anterless does for bow. What they need to work on is getting bow hunters more access to suburban properties where the deer are still out of control.

Thanks again Matty! Don't be a stranger. We have been working on all sorts of crazy ideas lately :lol: :lol:

Back