• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform pack?

Alaska at Heart

I recently was made aware of the existence of a platform pack by Backwoods Mobile Gear. So I went online to check it out and it looks really well designed and constructed, but I am honestly wondering what it will do that other forms of packs do not....or better? The product description notes that backpack straps can be attached via the molle loops, as well as showing sticks being mounted. But does anyone have one of these that can elaborate on the field use for them? Really just curious, as I like my current setup, but also keep an eye out for new ways of doing

Last edited:
It's very similar to Tethrd's predator pack. Main compartment only fits the platform. Lots of molle on the front panel to attach additional molle pouches. Very versatile pack. But you'll have to put other stuff on it and/or invest some other stuff to make it workable as your only pack. ie like adding backpack straps like you mentioned... I added the Tethrd's upgraded backpack straps to mine.
I have the BWMG pack for my LWCG Fix and for my TL Mission.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other specific questions or need to see some pics, but I thought the ones on the site were pretty good.

It's very similar to Tethrd's predator pack. Main compartment only fits the platform. Lots of molle on the front panel to attach additional molle pouches. Very versatile pack. But you'll have to put other stuff on it and/or invest some other stuff to make it workable as your only pack. ie like adding backpack straps like you mentioned... I added the Tethrd's upgraded backpack straps to mine.
I have the BWMG pack for my LWCG Fix and for my TL Mission.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other specific questions or need to see some pics, but I thought the ones on the site were pretty good.
The Tethrd Predator pack photo shows more of a 3D appearance. My queistion was whether it had an actual compartment for some necessities to go inside....plus the molle fittings for extra stuff. If you have a photo of yours loaded up, I would really like to see it. Thanks for your reply.

Shown with LWCG fix
ff0f6a46c2ee6c6b3bb7a920b87c0f0f.jpg
459b7c59eda6c9f3a6e22199b70f0e04.jpg
f8b83392905dcc14327c56f6aeb3d1c7.jpg

Different sized pack shown with Trophyline Mission. I add a foam pad to help with the hump at the bottom of the mission, but there isn't much room inside the pack for much else and there are no pockets on the interior i
of the main compartment.
324dbf2aa1796fc2d20e0d58a403877b.jpg
7aaef8d9d3a6c3f8c09b31e956c49db4.jpg
d0c023bdabdce4c44a4bc55da342e65b.jpg

Thank you for the photos.....that adds a great deal more clarity. So the pack is for the platform to be transported inside, not attached to the outside of the platform for other hunting necessities to be brought along? Those almost look like my older style LW shoulder straps, but with a 1" webbing. Where did you get those? Do you strap your sticks to the 'front' of the platform pack or use an alternate climbing system? Again, thank you very much for the photos and explanation.

When I use sticks with these packs I cinch them horizontally along the bottom with some sort of compression strap, but you could do it differently for sure. That's just what worked best for me.

This previous thread may help.

Thanks again for the link to the other thread. So you took shoulder straps off another such pack to put on the BWMG pack. I see that BWMG offers a basic single layer strap that is also sold on Amazon. for around $20. Some of the used military molle shoulder straps also look like they would work. Do you add on any pouches to carry a RF or other basic gear?

The shoulder straps were purchased from Tethrd. They are an upgrade for their predator pack, but work well with other setups like the BWMG pack we are referring to.

Thanks again for the link to the other thread. So you took shoulder straps off another such pack to put on the BWMG pack. I see that BWMG offers a basic single layer strap that is also sold on Amazon. for around $20. Some of the used military molle shoulder straps also look like they would work. Do you add on any pouches to carry a RF or other basic gear?
Alaska, where are you located?

West Michigan.....Spring Lake area
Ok, you are about 6 hrs away. Sorry if you were a bit more local I would let you mess around with my BWMG pack. When I still used a platform and sticks. How I actually used mine was sticks cinched horizontally along bottom of pack, platform hooked to outside of pack and put extra clothes or whatever in the pouch. Strapped that to my pack out frame.

Ok, you are about 6 hrs away. Sorry if you were a bit more local I would let you mess around with my BWMG pack. When I still used a platform and sticks. How I actually used mine was sticks cinched horizontally along bottom of pack, platform hooked to outside of pack and put extra clothes or whatever in the pouch. Strapped that to my pack out frame.
Your method is pretty much what I envisioned from the onset, but adding shoulder straps so it is stand-alone rather than attaching it to another pack. That way my Latitude carbon SS sticks can ride on the bottom on the way in and out, plus have room for a vest, field dressing kit, knife and headlamp inside the pouch. I put one for the EDP on my Christmas list for my wife, with a backstraps and a Trophyline RF pouch from my daughter. Hopefully this will cover all the bases....be lightweight, easy to use in the woods with a bit of room for basic necessities.

Thanks for posting and offering to help....appreciate it.

Your method is pretty much what I envisioned from the onset, but adding shoulder straps so it is stand-alone rather than attaching it to another pack. That way my Latitude carbon SS sticks can ride on the bottom on the way in and out, plus have room for a vest, field dressing kit, knife and headlamp inside the pouch. I put one for the EDP on my Christmas list for my wife, with a backstraps and a Trophyline RF pouch from my daughter. Hopefully this will cover all the bases....be lightweight, easy to use in the woods with a bit of room for basic necessities.

Thanks for posting and offering to help....appreciate it.
I think that sounds like a solid plan, I think it will work just fine for you.

No problem brother, have fun up there. That's a beautiful part of the state.

I am in Ohio, so not to far all said.

I;m really learning to appreciate the sharing and assistance among the saddle hunter community. Even for folks who have bowhunted for decades from the air in various other modes, there is a lot of options and approaches to take into consideration. Thanks all

I;m really learning to appreciate the sharing and assistance among the saddle hunter community. Even for folks who have bowhunted for decades from the air in various other modes, there is a lot of options and approaches to take into consideration. Thanks all
Yea, the lightweight mobile hunting community in general is an eclectic group of weirdos that is amazingly helpful and generous, I am proud to be a part of it. Most people are more than happy to meet up, share ideas, share equipment and just shoot the breeze. It's a wonderful community

Yea, the lightweight mobile hunting community in general is an eclectic group of weirdos that is amazingly helpful and generous, I am proud to be a part of it. Most people are more than happy to meet up, share ideas, share equipment and just shoot the breeze. It's a wonderful community
I've noticed the same in only a couple months on the site.....LOL No one does things quite the same as the next guy, but will share their opinions and experience to keep the newer guys on the safe path.....which is much appreciated. It is amazing how much can be learned and put into practice in just a few months of hunting season and I look forward to learning more during the off-season of '24 so I'm that much more confident for next fall. Thanks to all who have contributed..... :cool:

Back